• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaners for Chrome Wheels -- Which One?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaners for Chrome Wheels -- Which One?

Hi All,

I recently got a new vehicle with OEM chrome wheels, a first for me. I'm not quite sure which products to use to detail them. I should say right at the start that I'm not sure if these chrome wheels are clearcoated, but I expect they are.

I have been very happy using the Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner the painted/clearcoated wheels on my other cars. I tried Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner on the new chrome wheels, and they came out very well -- very shiney and free from waterspots.

I am interested in the new Hot Rims Chrome Wheel Cleaner, and whether I should be using this product instead of the All Wheel Cleaner. Following established detailing dogma, I would prefer to use the mildest product that gets the job done.

Also, assuming the chrome wheels are clearcoated, I will probably polish and wax them as I would body paint (e.g., clay, polish with #7, wax with NXT wax). Sound about right?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Q1: yup if your wheels are chrome then you should be able to use hot rims chrome cleaner! it will make cleaning the wheels even easyer that just using the hot rims all wheel cleaner

Q2: you can wax your wheels to prevent brake dust build up.

you could use a all metal polish likeNXT Generation All Metal Polysh to give your wheels that really amazing shine

hope this helps
    Patrick Yu
    2003 Honda Accord
    2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

I completely disagree with carcrazy. If your rims are clearcoated, from stick with all purpose cleaner. Chrome cleaner is for chrome, not clearcoat.

Also, metal polish is for chrome, not clearcoat. I am not familiar with meguiars products to the point where I would say if there products would cause harm to the clearcoat or not, but stick with products designed for clearcoat usage.

Generally the clear coat on rims is much harder then that found paint, and much thinner. I always use cleaner wax, but polishing would work.
      Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

Re: Cleaners for Chrome Wheels -- Which One?

Welcome to the site! Tons of information here

Originally posted by Toady
        I recently got a new vehicle with OEM chrome wheels, a first for me. I'm not quite sure which products to use to detail them. I should say right at the start that I'm not sure if these chrome wheels are clearcoated, but I expect they are.
        Chrome is a plating process applied to another surface, usually metal.

In my experience, I've never seen a clear applied over chrome.

If you're concerned about least aggressive method of cleaning the wheel, have you considered just washing with a mitt and car wash soap? On non-neglected wheels, this is usually all I need to get them as clean as when first polished.
        See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

hey toady....i agree with pete ...i only use a good car wash soap and a special wheel brush on the. chrome..then i use never dull and a coat of wax and your good to go... check out my gallery..the wheels on my stang are like mirrors.
          RZ AutoDetailing

My Gallery

Comment

hehe kinda forgot the wheels had a clear coat :p ultra ADHD!

Sorry!
            Patrick Yu
            2003 Honda Accord

Comment

Thanks for the advice, guys. I know how to take care of the wheels. The issue is which products and procedures to use, and that depends on surface material. So to figure that out, lets all have a stab at this question:

If you put brand new chrome wheels on your car, how would you determine if they are clearcoated or not?

Who can answer that one?

Comment

Thanks for the advice, guys. I know how to take care of the wheels. The issue is which products and procedures to use, and that depends on surface material. So to figure that out, lets all have a stab at this question:

If you put brand new chrome wheels on your car, how would you determine if they are clearcoated or not

Who can answer that one?
                This post should help you out: rims clearcoated?

sneek, you might have got his info from this post: NXT All Metal Polysh?
                Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

If you put brand new chrome wheels on your car, how would you determine if they are clearcoated or not?

Who can answer that one?
                  Hey,

Take some NXT Metal Polysh and work into the wheel. If the towel turns black, it is not coated.

If the towel remains the color of the product, then it is most likely coated.

Some manufacturers do use coated chrome wheels. Again, doing the test above *can* verify if they are coated or not. You can also contact the dealer to make sure.

Otherwise, until then, use a dedicated wash mitt and carwash soap to clean them.

If the wheels are clear coated, you can use a Polymer Sealant like #20 on them or you can use NXT Metal Polysh as it too is safe for clear coated wheels as well.

Tim
                  Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Take some NXT Metal Polysh and work into the wheel. If the towel turns black, it is not coated.
                    Thanks Tim, I'll try that and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by gb387
                      This post should help you out: rims clearcoated?

sneek, you might have got his info from this post: NXT All Metal Polysh?
                      lol i no i actaully got distracted and thought they were just regular chrome rims but i could pretend that i knew NXT metal polish could be used on clear coats .. i haven't tried it because it is only sold through one retailer
                      Patrick Yu
                      2003 Honda Accord

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford

Some manufacturers do use coated chrome wheels.

Who, and on what? I've not seen a coated chrome on a car that I've dealt with. What am I missing here?!

Seriously, any examples?
                        See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

I am pretty sure the Dodge Rams from 1994 through 1998 with the SLT package had clear coated chrome wheels. Though I could be wrong....

By the way, what has happened to your website???

Tim
                          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

OK, I tried a couple of metal cleaners on my chrome wheels.

First was Meguiar's NXT Polysh. I put a little on a rag and rubbed. At first it was a bit black but this was due to a small amount of brake dust. Repeating the application on the same spot gave no color change on the Polysh -- it stayed baby blue. It left a real smooth shiney spot on the wheel, though!

Next, I tried P21S Multisurface Finish Restorer. Same result, no color change on the polish.

I know both of these polishes will turn black when they come in contact with some metals. I used the P21S to clean some tarnished silver barware, and I used the Megs NXT Polysh to clean our stainless steel kitchen sink (don't laugh, it worked great!). Both turned blackish on these applications

Here are my conclusions. (A) the wheel is clearcoated and should be washed and polished just like body paint. Or (B) the wheel is NOT clearcoated and the chrome finish is sufficiently inert so that it does not react with the polish to cause a chemical reaction and turn it black.

I may pursue this further with a wheel shop or a chrome plating service to see what advice they can give. In the meantime, I'm going to use the following cleaning regimen on the chrome rims: Wash with car wash soap or Meg's Hot Rims cleaner for All Wheels (NOT the Hot Rims for Chrome Wheels), followed by NXT Metal Polysh since it is safe for coated or noncoated wheels.

Perhaps Mike or Tim can answer this question: What happens if you use the Hot Rims Chrome Wheel Cleaner on an clearcoated wheel? Will there be any damage or undesirable results?

Comment

Originally posted by Pete-FWA
                              Who, and on what? I've not seen a coated chrome on a car that I've dealt with. What am I missing here?!

Seriously, any examples?
                              same my own wheels are chrome but no clear coat my buddies G35 aftermarket rims also have no clear .. i think
                              Patrick Yu
                              2003 Honda Accord

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');