• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covered car with plastic sheet --> stained my paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covered car with plastic sheet --> stained my paint

Hey fellas, someone posted about Meguiar's products on 6mt.net so now im here after some online research for my big big problem:

I covered my car with a plastic cover (regular plastic sheathing) since I did not have a car cover the day after: 1/ My car was Egged (yes I washed that off) and 2/ there was Hail falling randomly the day after that. I left it for a few hours during the cold day and later that nite for almost the entire night
    Now I am left with this:

after waxing (yes Meguiars), still visible:

the new wax shine makes it harder 2 see but only at some angles and the worst is on the side:

There is also a purple-ish mark that must have come from the small lettering on the plastic. Im assuming the vapor/moisture trapped in the gaps somehow marked up my paint... And yeah I had no clue plastic sheathing would do this, i know its my stupidity and I should have known.. any help/advice would be awesome, thanks_

You say you washed and waxed?

Did you do any other steps, like paint cleaner, etc?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

i used rubbing compound, i didnt do paint cleaner tho thats what i recently read advice about, i also looked up polish but this stuff seems to have gone into the clearcoat, its NOT a residue so im not sure what to do, jus wanna avoid repainting for some plastic..?!

Comment

It looks like moisture is stuck in the paint film. Try spraying a 50/50 mix of water/isopropyl alcohol, let it dwell for 30 seconds, and wipe off. If it is moisture, the alcohol will act as a drying agent and pull the moisture out. If it's not moisture, the alcohol won't hurt the paint, and at least you'll know that the paint needs to be buffed.
        I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

Originally posted by gbackus
          It looks like moisture is stuck in the paint film. Try spraying a 50/50 mix of water/isopropyl alcohol, let it dwell for 30 seconds, and wipe off. If it is moisture, the alcohol will act as a drying agent and pull the moisture out. If it's not moisture, the alcohol won't hurt the paint, and at least you'll know that the paint needs to be buffed.
          Sounds good, thanks, i also heard of using vinegar on another site i cannot link at the moment, as far as buffing, it should work but even if its IN the clearcoat? When i run my fingers over any of the surface its all smooth.. LAst thing i wanna do is have to sand this down (bodyshop) n have new black paint not matching the older black paint (10 months old) not to mention cost

Comment

Oh boy..... I would try the alcohol like gbackus suggested, but other than that, I am at a loss. Perhaps give ScratchX a try and really work it into a few of the worse spots to see how the paint reacts???

Tim
            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

mannnnnn if you, the moderator are at a loss, it saddens me..! but yeah, ill try the alcohol, even vinegar, polish, different compounds, and buffing from a shop to see what might work. If i end up wit dull paint, ill have to repaint it anyway.....

Comment

I had to do a double take at first, I couldnt figure out what was wrong, but wow. I dont think I've ever seen this...

I'd start by stripping all the wax off with a body solvent and then work your way up from 80, to 83, 84 w/ rotary, 85, and if need by try the other Meg's Cleaners, Fine, Medium and Heavy cut, but all and all, I am at a complete loss.

My dad suggested this, were both still confused...

Perhaps there was some substance or film on the plastic that was triggered by moisture.

Or did the sun come out after it rained and the light amplified by the residual rain drops refracted though the plastic and yellowed your paint? I'm utterly lost.

Comment

yeahhh

Yeah i was very truly perplexed and i knew others would be.. since I cannot feel anything on the paint, i did at first but prollie jus dust build up, I am at a loss as well.. Im beginning to agree that the paint might have faded but there was very LITTLE sun out, it was Cold. either moisture is trapped in the clear coat or its fade.. I think its both moisture and plastic material in the clear coat... well THANKS man ill try some of those things_

Comment

Hey,

I would still try the alcohol and then ScratchX over a section. I have heard of plastic causing trouble when there was high heat, which caused condensation under the plastic. But I have not seen staining quite like that. I will see what else I can find out.

Tim
                    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

thank you, i might have it buffed tomorrow but want to try the alcohol first, in a section like you said, perhaps the alcohol n then a buff.

I mentioned it to my dad and he said that if the stains come from where the plastic met water (since I applied the plastic over a wet vehicle) that it should be buffed out since its might just be moisture and dirt (from rain water)

ill see what the guy doing the work says but thanks_

Comment

Originally posted by jayelleseven
                        thank you, i might have it buffed tomorrow but want to try the alcohol first, in a section like you said, perhaps the alcohol n then a buff.

I mentioned it to my dad and he said that if the stains come from where the plastic met water (since I applied the plastic over a wet vehicle) that it should be buffed out since its might just be moisture and dirt (from rain water)

ill see what the guy doing the work says but thanks_
                        Why remove paint by buffing if it can be removed with simple alcohol? It looks a lot like the type of damage that cars with rapguard get, to which alcohol is used to correct(first they use a safety solvent to remove the rapguard, and the alcohol, and occasionally a hair dryer, to remove the moisture).

You only have so much paint to work with, and like Mike is always saying, start with the least agressive approach first. In this case, the alcohol, followed by scratchX like 2hotford suggested.
                        I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

very true, if i am to buff, only a small area since it might be the easiest solution, easiest of course isnt always best so i will try the alcohol and hopefully find the other product u mentioned at a local car shop_

Comment

n i didnt think rapguard would have a similar effect, im guessing when theres a lot of heat or moisture/water vapor trapped under the film/plastic, which was mainly my problem.. but thanks for input fellas

Comment

that 50/50 mix did not work, then some ScratchX did not work.. it at the least, reduced the effect or it might jus SEEM like that since the paints overall shine is brighter..

this picture is Almost a lie because the paint shines so much after the scratchX (didnt even add the paint polish either) but is a BIG improvement over my 1stphoto:

It seems grand but still very visible under some angles (n its hard for me 2 capture the exact same angle 2wice), but really the damage is like REFLECTIVE

as u can see:

Image hosting by Photobucket

UPDATE: My G is currently being washed, waxed/buffed.. That stuff came off the bumper at least.. I think the guy is pretty skilled, Cross your Fingers_

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');