• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

difficulty in removing 82

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• difficulty in removing 82

made two passes on my black car with 80 using a lake country 7.5 light cutting pad, paint came up awesome.

I tried to follow up with a pass using 82 and a lake country final finishing pad don't really know how to describe what happens 82 seems to stick to paint surface in certain areas almost like it gums up and is difficult to remove even with polishing cloth.

I thought possibly I might be using to much polish so cut way back but didn't seem to help. Running my Makita at about 3.5 could that be part of the problem ?

Hi 54skyliner,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Tell me you own a 1954 Ford Skyliner? My dad had a 1956 Ford Skyliner, that was a cool car. How about sharing a picture?

Originally posted by 54skyliner

I tried to follow up with a pass using 82 and a lake country final finishing pad don't really know how to describe what happens 82 seems to stick to paint surface in certain areas almost like it gums up and is difficult to remove even with polishing cloth.

When you say Makita, you do mean a Makita Rotary Buffer correct?

This gumming up issue sometimes happens with M09 and M82 when applied with a finishing pad using a rotary buffer and to tell you the truth I'm not sure why. I've used these two products for years under all kinds of humidity and temperature conditions on every kind of paint under the sun and sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't and I've never been able to figure out what the cause is.

The best thing you can do is to clean your pad often, even after each pass. Wipe any left over residue from the finish before applying more if you're going to re-polish a same section.

Once your pad has been moistened with product, cut down on product use, at least don't over use it. As for RB speeds, stay around the 1200 to 1500 RPM range.

I don't use this product with a rotary buffer very often, I did with this car,

In most cases try using the M80 Speed Glaze by rotary instead for last machine cleaning and polishing step and then follow this up with a pass using either M80 Speed Glaze or M82 or M09 with the dual action polisher.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Back in the 50's Ford offered both a Sunliner, (Convertible), and a Skyliner. The Skyliner is unique in that the front half of the roof was Plexiglas.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Removing M82

Thanks for your response to my question Mike I reduced the amount of polish to just a dab on my polisher ( yes it is a Makita Rotary Buffer ) and that helped a lot you wouldn't think that small amount would be effective but it does seem to work, haven't had a chance to finish car but did try a small section as I was anxious to see if your suggestion would solve my problem. Love Meguirers stuff all I've ever used on my black car and I get so many complements on the depth and blackness of my paint, I use a lot of M34 final inspection its quick easy to use and does a great job, also great for bugs, bird stuff, etc. Yes it is a 54 Ford Skyliner and I have a ton of pictures I would love to share but if you knew how much difficulty I had just to post my question you will understand why a picture may be some time in coming, to say I am not to good with computers would be an understatement. Regards

Comment

Re: Removing M82

Originally posted by 54skyliner
          Thanks for your response to my question Mike I reduced the amount of polish to just a dab on my polisher ( yes it is a Makita Rotary Buffer ) and that helped a lot you wouldn't think that small amount would be effective but it does seem to work, haven't had a chance to finish car but did try a small section as I was anxious to see if your suggestion would solve my problem.
          Good to hear, also clean your pad often when machine cleaning, like in after each time you buff a section. Run a nylon brush over the face of the pad, you can use a stiff bristle toothbrush.

Love Meguiar's stuff all I've ever used on my black car and I get so many complements on the depth and blackness of my paint.
          Yep... Meguiar's is good stuff, heck I like it so much I ended up working for the company!

Yes it is a 54 Ford Skyliner and I have a ton of pictures I would love to share but if you knew how much difficulty I had just to post my question you will understand why a picture may be some time in coming, to say I am not to good with computers would be an understatement. Regards
          Learning how to post a picture to a discussion forum is as simple as doing a little reading and then doing a little clicking...

Here's a primer..

How to put pictures into your posts

Two things,

1) If you don't own a dual action polisher like our G100 and you really want a deep, wet shine that's completely swirl free in the brightest lights, then you should seriously consider getting one and using it for your last machine polishing step and then use it to apply a wax.

2) If you e-mail me one or two digital pictures that show the entire car and that are in focus, I will upload them into your gallery.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');