• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Rotary Buffing Videos!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Rotary Buffing Videos!

I have recently taken the plunge from the PC to a Dewalt Rotary. I already own the Meg's video on Removing Paint Defects but was wondering if anyone knew of any other videos out there. I am a novice at best with the rotary and have read just about every forum I could find for more tips, tricks, and best practices...but I want (& need) more! The bad part is that I grew up in a body shop and never really paid close attention to my Dad when he was using the rotary! The really bad part is now that I want to learn, he's 400 miles away! Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!
    VOL1816
    VOLUNTEER1816

"It's all about the prep."

well....that's a tough one. in all the research i've done regarding how to master the rotary buffer, Meguiars' videio is the best you can find. you coudl check other sites like 3M or automagic. even though both sites show you how someone operates the rotary buffer, you can take them as an alternative to your variety of techniques. however, I can tell you the things that Meguiars's video shows you, work WAY better than any technique i've used.

however, remember that there's no better technique or method tan other. everybody has their style and the goal is them same: supreme shine with no scratches and swirls, deep gloss, and no paint burns, or any defects implied by machine or negligence, like covering up buffer swirls with a polish for example

another thing I can tell you is that I don't have a DeWalt, but I know it is a very good rotary. i've used it but i think that's one of the toughest to master in my opinion, but gives extraordinary results too. if you check the automagic site, you could see how the guy in the video operates it.

if you'd like to try something new, automagic offers a complete guide in how to use their products (it costs 50 bucks but it covers everything), which also contains techiques (i guess) in how to use the rotary, but with their products. and now that I bring that as a subject, try to adapt the techniques you use, to maximize the products you will use for detailing. for example, if you use meguiar's, do it as the reccommend. if it's 3M, automagic, sonus, any, just make sure to follow that tip.

and as tips for beginning your buffing practice, buff cars with very harsh defects, and make sure the paints are not dark. that way you'll not compromise with the owners. use finihing pads and never exceed 1200 RPM'S. as you get better, keep your way up on the RPM'S but try never to go over 2000.

in my experiences with the DeWalt, let the buffer's weight be the pressure. then try setting medium or light pressure on your pad to maximize the product you use. and also use the least abrasive products so....stay away from componds, wool pads, and foam cutting pads. as you get better, you'll be able to handle them perfectly.

hope that helps , and by the way, sorry if the message is very long.
    " Sometimes logic is your friend (Mike-In-Orange)"

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');