• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Each one, Teach One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Each one, Teach One

Howdy all,

Just got back home. Spent a week down in Fla to recharge my batteries and get out of the Chicagoland cold weather. During my stay down there, I had the honor of teaching a colleague (Brett) of my father ('Wingnut' on this forum), just what Meguiars can do. The canvas? An '06 Chevrolet Corvette, Silver metallic.

We started early on a Saturday morning. I had Brett wash the car ahead of time at a local carwash since I had never seen the finish and didn't know what I was in for.

We wiped the car down with QD and taped it off. All four of us, Myself, my father, Brett and his son, (Blake) we're able to inspect the finish. After teaching the finger-tip swipe method against the finish, and looking at it from many different angles, we decided that the finish needed no corrective work. About this time I also found out the car only had about 3,000 miles on it, and he'd taken fairly decent care of it before hand, just not with Meguiars.

I had purchased a few items I was short on from Meguiars and had them shipped to Dad's place in Fla. beforehand. One of these items was something I hadn't used before and figured this car would be as good of a place as any to start. #7, Show Car Glaze. I had been using #81, hand polish, before as a precursor to NXT wax, and didn't think it would make that much of a difference. But Dad and I noticed a difference right away after wiping the #7 off.

During this time, Wingnut, being the old bodyman he is, was able to show Brett and Blake the proper technique for using PC. He demonstrated both the perpendicular and cross-hatch methods of applying product and the recommended speeds of the products we used and a few other products we didn't use but had available in case that we needed to take corrective action on the finish. We then let Brett and Blake try a few panels with the PC before he handed it back for time-saving's sake.

Looks like Wingnut could use some NXT himself! But who am I to talk?!? My time is coming too!

Once we removed the #7, we went right into our wax of choice, NXT. The results were amazing! When he rolled the 'Vette in at 7:30am, none of us had really noticed the metallic flakes in the finish, and neither had Brett or Blake, to their own admission. But NXT just made them POP right out. At that moment, Brett and his son had been Meguiarized!

We took some time to attack the tailpipes with Meguiars Nxt Metyl Polish. Once again, the results were fantastic. Blake applied two coats of Meguiars High Endurance Tire Gel to the tires, once at the beginning of our day and again inbetween applying the #7 and NXT. We also took a few old rags and wiped down the inside of the fenders to give it that extra bit of attention to detail.

After a quick joyride in Brett's newly NXt'ed Vette, Blake takes a minute to wipe down the finish with QD and a MF towel.

All in all, a very successful day. Brett and Blake left with a laundry list of Meguiars products that they were off to the local autoparts store to purchase for themselves to keep their beautiful 'Vette in showroom condition. Here are a few more pics from the detail.

Another newly found Car Crazy maniac, driving off!
    Last edited by atclew; Mar 15, 2006, 07:39 PM.
    Lew

"...will separate aircraft for food"

My Mercedes Benz S600

Looks great! Very nice of you to pass on your knowledge! You had a great car to work with.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Thats one good looking C6.It amazes me how many people never relize they have Metallic in the paint until its detailed.Great job on getting another Meguiars cult member to join.
      2007 Mustang GT/CS white 5sp. named Cali
      Show Car Detail

Comment

Comment

That's one sweet ride...nice job on the car and in teaching.
          Bill Poirier
          West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

awesome job......!!

Pat
            I want to go to work in my quick dries

Comment

great job!
              Patrick Yu
              2003 Honda Accord
              2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Working...
              X