• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why PhotoBucket is a waste of time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why PhotoBucket is a waste of time...

Why PhotoBucket is a waste of time...

Or, why PhotoBucket and all of these other photo hosting websites are a waste of time...

Here's why hosting your photos at all of these other photos hosting websites is a waste of time from a big picture point of view... Check out the Non-Pictures in this thread...

Meguiar's Detailing Class in Piscataway, New Jersey

All of the pictures hosted here on MOL are still showing up and all of the photos posted on Photobucket are missing, perhaps forever. It completely diminishes the value of the story as told in the thread.

Here's what the photos hosted on Photobucket look like,

Here's a link that will start by explaining why we don't allow members to Attach File, (or attach photo), on this forum and then to a couple of tutorials on how to work with images on this forum, but these skills you teach yourself will work on any forum and last for a lifetime. Plus... you could even show someone else how to work with photos on the Internet.

How to put pictures into your posts

How-to Crop your photos before uploading them to your gallery

How to resize your photos using Easy Thumbnails - Free software!

Step-by-Step Picture-Posting HOW TO
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Vindicated again...

Screen shot taken from page 2 of this thread,

Grit-Guard floating in the buckets

The above post was made on April 1st, and by the time I read the thread on April 18th the photos were missing. I don't know how long they were viewable but after 17 days they were missing.

The point I tried to make in my commentary on using Photobucket to host your photos is that places like MOL are long term communities, that is we're here for the long run and for this reason it's pointless to include a photo in your message if the photo is going to disappear, thus photo hosting sites like Photobucket are a waste of our time and thus our our member's time.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I have used www.FOTKI.com for several years. Yes... I pay annually, but in the several years Ive used them the longest theyve ever been down was no more then an hour or so. Not to mention Ive only found them to be "down" only, Id say, maybe 4-5 times. I think its about $25/yr... unlimited space.. with all kinds of different uploading options.

You can even host small .gifs.

Check em out.
      ----------02' 35th Anv. Limited Edition SS----------
      561rwhp/541rwtq, M6, T-Tops, SLP option car, 1 of 1,037.
      --| TUNED BY FORCEFED PERFORMANCE | Mods: Boost.
      --

Comment

The reason why those photos aren't available anymore is because I deleted them out of my photobucket.
        Had it not been for me deleting them from my bucket, theyd still be viewable.
        I just wanted to clarify that, as it seems as though youre pointing out fault in photobucket itself.
        Am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by CELL
          The reason why those photos aren't available anymore is because I deleted them out of my PhotoBucket.

Had it not been for me deleting them from my bucket, they'd still be viewable.

I just wanted to clarify that, as it seems as though you're pointing out fault in PhotoBucket itself.

Am I wrong?
          Nope, you make my point perfectly.

Meguiar's is in this for the long run, by this I mean that we're here today and we're going to be here tomorrow. When you put a picture into our gallery for use on our forum, it will be here tomorrow.

When you put a picture on PhotoBucket or some other freebie hosting company, there's no guarantee how long the photo will be there and thus there is no guarantee how long the photo will be visible on our forum.

Write-ups, threads, messages, posts, whatever you want to call them, when the picture disappears, it takes so much away from the story being told. It would be better if the person would have never included the photo in the first place and left it up to the reader to use their imagination based upon the words the poster used versus look at Red X's or images like this,

When you post a picture hosted at PhotoBucket, or any of the other freebie photo hosting sites, and then include that URL Address to that photo on our forum or anywhere on the Internet, and then later down the road delete that photo, then everywhere you placed that URL Address, either a Red X's will show up, or a meaningless image like this,

If I could ban or prevent the ability for a person to insert an URL Address for a photos for anywhere but MOL, I would do it in an instant because we're in this for the long run and we don't want all these threads on our forum full of missing pictures. In the big picture, it devalue the thread and thus devalues the forum, it's an effort in futility.

Thank you CELL for asking your question, you helped me to drive the point home perfectly.

I stand by my statement,

Photobucket and other freebie photo hosting companies are a waste of --> our <-- time and resources.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Gotcha
            I just figured, why waste the bandwidth on MOL, so I just used my own hosting.
            Then, I realized the issue I posted about was already touched on, so I just deleted the pics.
            Point well taken though

And thank god Meguiars is here to stay.
            We need quality products and true professionals

Comment

yeah i do agree photobucket has it flaws..its my fault, i was rearranging some photos and that broke the link, but i did fix it so all should be well...i prefer photobucket instead of uploading to a web forum but thats for security purposes, with the easyness of web based searching , you can find out so much about some1 by googling a username, then registering to the website and doing a forum search..uploading to photobucket provides me with a simple way of erasing photos and making harder for individuals with evil intents to find out about me..i use the same username for mulitple website so using photobucket is strictly for security...sorry if i inconveniced anyone ..i love this forum and plan to post more pics because imo it easier to understand with the aid of visual aids

Comment

Yeah, I use Photobucket and Imageshack for the same reasons, also its easier for me to link pictures to people, and post them around on different sites etc. No problems with Imageshack whatsoever; I have over 30 pages of images hosted with them, some dating back almost 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by m3tal
                  I have over 30 pages of images hosted with them, some dating back almost 2 years.
                  How much space do they give you?
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

photobucket gives 1gb album size and 10gm monthly bandwith...to the best of my knowledge imageshack is unlimited storage and limits bandwith hourly..i am looking into switching to apple and will am currently looking for one source to host all my images/videos and imageshack is a front runner for photos

Comment

Originally posted by jchetty
                      photobucket gives 1gb album size and 10gm monthly bandwith...

I'm all for a good deal, but I don't think having the below images show up in place of a picture that helps complete a story on this forum is doing anyone any favors.

Where am I wrong?
                      Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

i do agree with you..i do see your point and meguiars online is nice enough to allowing photo hosting we should use it what is the limit per album i'll tell you what, there is a meguiars day june 10. If I do go I will host the pics on meguiars online and I will work on rehosting the pics the old pics on meguiars so that other ppl can see the light..i love this website, i check it often

Comment

Re: Why PhotoBucket is a waste of time...

Originally posted by jchetty View Post
                          i do agree with you..i do see your point and meguiars online is nice enough to allowing photo hosting we should use it what is the limit per album ...
                          Well, I just got this meassage as the Gallery refused my last pix:

You are allowed a maximum of 5242880 bytes of diskspace. If you would like to upload more images, please delete some of your older images and/or optimize your images using lower quality jpg settings before uploading.

So I guess I’ll have to have my pix hosted elsewhere from now on.

PC.
                          Last edited by the other pc; Dec 4, 2006, 11:29 PM. Reason: forum dropping text

Comment

Emm. I used to have a nice gallery here at MOL. It went bye-bye. Now all my images that were linked to MOL are not showing up either. Things happen. I now host at .Mac.

Home
                            Jim
                            My Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by jfelbab View Post
                              Emm. I used to have a nice gallery here at MOL. It went bye-bye. Now all my images that were linked to MOL are not showing up either. Things happen. I now host at .Mac.
                              To correct my previous post.

The images from the old gallery are indeed still showing up in the threads. My gallery is not. Unfortunately, I don't know what images I had uploaded to the gallery and really don't like the task of reloading these back.

Things happen.
                              Jim
                              My Gallery

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');