• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why PhotoBucket is a waste of time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why PhotoBucket is a waste of time...

Originally posted by jfelbab View Post
    To correct my previous post.

The images from the old gallery are indeed still showing up in the threads. My gallery is not. Unfortunately, I don't know what images I had uploaded to the gallery and really don't like the task of reloading these back.

Things happen.
    I agree, kind of a bummer. FWIW, I went back and searched for some of the photos I know are on MOL and book marked the thread so I can still use the photos.... but if you didn't use the photos in a post then they must be lost somewhere on MOL and we can all hope they are having a good time together.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

I have had a photobucket account for a few years now. IMO, it is a great service. I post on a lot of forums and having my photos stored in one location is much better for my needs. I do pay about a $25 a year, but my pics are *always* up and I have plenty of room for videos, pictures, etc.

I don't use the hosting available from online forums because it seems to me that about once or twice a year the galleries "crash" and everyone has to start over. With photobucket, as long as you don't move/delete the photo, it's always there.

Comment

I think sites like PhotoBucket, ImageShack, etc. are great. For being a free service, they're hardly ever down. I use Photobucket to host all my auctions on eBay, and I only had a problem once for a very short period of time.

Most forums have a limit as to how many pics you can upload, so I've always found it easier to host my images elsewhere. I don't organize my images on these sites so they're never really lost unless I choose to delete it. If I'm the owner of a picture, I believe I can dictate when/if I can delete my own picture.

I don't think that devalues a forum/site/thread. If that was the case, the whole internet would be pointless. New threads are constantly popping up about topics that have been covered before. If all the admins just kept saying "repost" or "search is your friend", then there would never be anything new for active members to talk about.

If something was THAT important where the pic was truly needed, like for a Do It Yourself article posted by a member, admins always have the ability to save those important pics and host it on their own site, in case that user ever decide to delete their photos from their host.

Comment

[quote=the other pc;149529]Well, I just got this meassage as the Gallery refused my last pix:

You are allowed a maximum of 5242880 bytes of diskspace. If you would like to upload more images, please delete some of your older images and/or optimize your images using lower quality jpg settings before uploading.

So I guess I
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Emm. I used to have a nice gallery here at MOL. It went bye-bye. Now all my images that were linked to MOL are not showing up either. Things happen. I now host at .Mac.

Home
            All the pictures still show up but at this time we don't have access to the gallery. This is because of "KNOWN" security issue with the version of Photo Post that that software has. When it can be made secure it will be accessible again, give us a little more time please and we will find a way to prevent the bad guys from taking our forum down via a weak link.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Things happen.
              Yep, bad guys hack into forums and this is the entire reason we upgraded and lost accessibility to the old gallery. We will make it accessible again, just give us some time.
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by ebpcivicsi View Post
                I have had a PhotoBucket account for a few years now. IMO, it is a great service. I post on a lot of forums and having my photos stored in one location is much better for my needs. I do pay about a $25 a year, but my pics are *always* up and I have plenty of room for videos, pictures, etc.
                And you are one of the exceptions that are willing to pay for more space and thus your pictures don't disappear. Kind of makes the point we've been trying to make.

Originally posted by ebpcivicsi View Post
                I don't use the hosting available from online forums because it seems to me that about once or twice a year the galleries "crash" and everyone has to start over. With PhotoBucket, as long as you don't move/delete the photo, it's always there.
                Our gallery has never crashed, our forum was hacked by a weirdo and this forced us to upgrade to a newer version of vBulletin and Photo Post Gallery.

When our web team can allocate the time to find a way to bring up the old gallery and make it secure so that some hacker can't cause harm, then it will be available again.
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by BlackElantraGT View Post
                  I think sites like PhotoBucket, ImageShack, etc. are great. For being a free service, they're hardly ever down. I use Photobucket to host all my auctions on eBay, and I only had a problem once for a very short period of time.
                  It's not about these places being down, it's about people linking photos to them and inserting them into threads on this forum and then later deleting the photos and creating red X's on this forum devaluing the thread.

Let's all try to keep the focus on the issue and not go off-topic.

Most forums have a limit as to how many pics you can upload, so I've always found it easier to host my images elsewhere. I don't organize my images on these sites so they're never really lost unless I choose to delete it. If I'm the owner of a picture, I believe I can dictate when/if I can delete my own picture.
                  We've always been very generous in this area. If you include a picture in a thread on this forum then delete the picture it kind of takes the fun and information out of the thread. Like the old saying goes,

"A picture tells a thousand words" (Unless the picture is a red x)

I don't think that devalues a forum/site/thread. If that was the case, the whole Internet would be pointless.
                  This is your opinion and it has value, we like pictures posted in threads on this forum to endure, this is our opinion.

New threads are constantly popping up about topics that have been covered before. If all the admins just kept saying "repost" or "search is your friend", then there would never be anything new for active members to talk about.
                  One thing the Meguiar's Online forum is known for unlike so many other forums is we don't tell people that join and ask questions to simply search, instead we type up fresh new answers.

If something was THAT important where the pic was truly needed, like for a Do It Yourself article posted by a member, admins always have the ability to save those important pics and host it on their own site, in case that user ever decide to delete their photos from their host.
                  That is a solution, now where can we find some time for sale?
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc
                    Well, I just got this meassage as the Gallery refused my last pix:

So I guess I’ll have to have my pix hosted elsewhere from now on.

PC.
                    Try now Paul!
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike,

I know how hard you guys work here and this forum is, IMHO, the best. Please don't take my previous comments about the gallery as a complaint or even a hint that I am not delighted with the forum.

You guys never get the credit due you. There is no other forum where the posts are nearly always upbeat and constructive. This forum has made significant technological advances with the last upgrade. Keep up the fine work.

I think we all appreciate it. I know I certainly do.

---

Back on Topic.

I can understand your desire for the pics linked in this forum to be hosted here. I have read threads where the picture is vital to the thread, then all of a sudden it is gone. The thread remains but the key element is missing.

My issue with the current gallery state is that I can't easily post one of my images from the old gallery in a new post, either here or elsewhere. For all practical purposes those images are lost to me for future use.

I can see why it is desirable to host pics elsewhere after the recent gallery issue as well as the difficulty of maintaining galleries at multiple sites. That's why I decided to host all my images elsewhere. The site I chose is not a free site, has huge bandwidth and has multiple redundancy of my images and web pages. Since I also host my web pages there, it is a one-stop site for me to deal with all my needs. It's more convenient.

Mike, you and Dave do a great job with this forum and I for one am delighted to be a member here. If you read anything that might give you a different opinion just shake your head and move on because it just isn't so.

Jim
                      Jim
                      My Gallery

Comment

i use http://www.picturetrail.com/
                        alberto gorin
                        known as gorin002

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                          Try now Paul!
                          Thanks Mike!

PC.

Comment

hope you could update it soon bud. damn those hackers. any idea how they able to get in?
                            my window cleaning service

Comment

I've had to use Photobucket for some time now, since the Meguiar's gallery won't let me login and therefore it's impossible for me to upload pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Skuz View Post
                                I've had to use Photobucket for some time now, since the Meguiar's gallery won't let me login and therefore it's impossible for me to upload pictures.
                                It works for 99.9% of our members and when it doesn't work for someone it's usually a problem on their end, not ours. Again the point of all this is to avoid threads without pictures into the future because the poster delted the pictures at their second party hosting site. Kind of ruins the thread when all the pictures have turned into red x's.
                                Mike Phillips
                                760-515-0444
                                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');