• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preparing to Detail Engine Compartment (first time, any suggestions) pics included

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing to Detail Engine Compartment (first time, any suggestions) pics included

This is going to be my first time detailing an engine compartment and I was wanting some suggestions. The products and supplies I have are:
    Super degreaser
    Safe D-Greaser
    Hyper Dressing
    and various brushes

What would you guys, who've detailed engines before recommend for dilution ratios and which products should I use for the dirty engine below? As you can tell I've driven in mud (this was before I was car crazy) And what should I cover and with what to prevent damage to any of the components? And I will have After pics btw. Thanks

Last edited by F-150; Mar 21, 2006, 06:48 PM.

I use Seran Wrap and Plastic bags to cover my alternator and relay/ fuse boxes. I start by misting my engine, then I'll use a fairly strong de-greaser, then agitate where needed, rinse and repeat until all dirt and grime is gone, then I use Hyperdressing 3:1 and go nuts with it, let it sit, and wipe off where it pools, close the engine and walk away.

This isn't the best picture, but this is after one of my first engine details.

Comment

Yeah I don't know what a fuse box looks like and is it okay to get degreaser and hyper dressing on the hoses. And correct me if I'm wrong but is this my alternator?:

And you said mist, like just use a hose nozzle and you shouldn't use a spray stronger than just a mist to rinse the engine? I mean I know you shouldn't full on blast water at your engine but should it create water running off the engine? and rinsing the degreaser off the engine? instead of spraying it off?

Comment

Am I being too paranoid and just need to go at it everyone? If so just help me with dilution ratios with the degreasers as well and I'll stop being a wuss and just do it because everyone says you just need to do it and it's easy. But do I need to dry off as much as I can after rinsing off the degreaser or just let it air dry before the hyper dressing? And if anyone sees something that should be covered, then please circle it in red and post it.

Comment

i was waiting for you to post this i was hitting f5 every minute in the gallery

ya that looks like your alternator

lol if in doubt just cover it to be on the safe side... it will make you feel better, just don't cover the whole thing with plastic wrap
          Patrick Yu
          2003 Honda Accord
          2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

1) Be careful of the electronics.

2) Do not spray ignition coils directly with a strong blast

3) Don't blast any one part of the engine for a long period of time.

Electronics are very expensive to repair and replace... trust me. 8-)

I love the look of a freshly detailed engine compartment though.

Brian

Comment

Thanks for the replys guys. I will have the after pics by tomarrow hopefully.

Comment

I only had 45 minutes to do this so I just used the safe d-greaser and didn't have time to use the hyper dressing or get the hard to reach areas...I will finish it up tomarrow. But just to show you the progress this is what I have done so far:

Check back tomarrow night. btw an air compressor makes drying a lot easier.

Comment

looks pretty good now

off topic and i dont want to hijack the thread but what do you guy use to clean you engine besides the stuff you can get from the D-line i found out that my i have quite a few aluminum components in my engine so i dhould stop using extra, but i can't get anything from the D-line so i am stuck

i am thinking about using an APC called CHOMP or possible spray nine

also i heard simple green is not safe to use under the hood... is this true?
                  Patrick Yu
                  2003 Honda Accord

Comment

Looks Good! I was extremly timid my first time about putting water on my engine. Now I use a pressure washer, just keep in your confort zone.

Sneek, I have used Simple Green for my engine bay and wheel wells, no-far I've had no negative results. I dilute it 3:1. I let it sit for no more than 2 minutes, and then I'll take my grunt MF towels and wipe down or brush sensitive or really dirty areas, then I'll power wash on low. HD 3:1 and walk away.

Comment

Originally posted by sneek
                      looks pretty good now

off topic and i dont want to hijack the thread but what do you guy use to clean you engine besides the stuff you can get from the D-line i found out that my i have quite a few aluminum components in my engine so i dhould stop using extra, but i can't get anything from the D-line so i am stuck

also i heard simple green is not safe to use under the hood... is this true?
                      Doesn't meguiars.com ship internationally? In certain areas I mean. I also heard that simple green can stain certain parts, is it corrosive by the way?

Comment

Originally posted by sneek

This was Meg APC followed up with HD.

As you make a living, don't forget to live.

Comment

that truck engine looks fun!

HD rocks under the bonnet and it lasts really long too!

=)
                          2001 Vortex Blue New Beetle

Comment

that engine came out nice. what about spraying the battery with water?
                            NA

Comment

MB///HRV, i would if i could trust me !!
                              Because i live in Canada most of these products are not avalable and APC doesn't even ship over the border, also i don't have a credit card (17 :p.. one more year!!)
                              Patrick Yu
                              2003 Honda Accord

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');