• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preparing to Detail Engine Compartment (first time, any suggestions) pics included

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sneek
    MB///HRV, i would if i could trust me !!
    Because i live in Canada most of these products are not avalable and APC doesn't even ship over the border, also i don't have a credit card (17 :p.. one more year!!)
    I use a debit card. (checking account w/ Chase) I'm 17 too.
    Last edited by F-150; Mar 26, 2006, 05:00 PM.

Comment

I finally got a chance to finish my engine compartment detail.

supplies used:
      Plastic Wrap
      3M masking tape (the green one, pretty much the same as safe release)
      3M (plastic sheets I used to cover the fenders and bumper)
      Hyper Dressing 3:1
      Safe D-Greaser
      hose w/ nozzle on light spray
      soft bristle tooth brushes
      Versa Angle Body Brush
      SS microfiber for hyper dressing (when wiping off)
      Ultra Plush Terry Cloths (for applying/drying and wiping off apc + from underhood mat)
      Vacuum (for underhood mat)
      All Purpose Cleaner Plus (for cleaning the underhood mat)

Approx Time: 50 minutes

Final Results (before and after):

Hopefully I put the pics in correct order. And it's my first engine detail so it's not perfect but I was very happy with the results. Thanks to this forum and Rick from AutoDetailingSolutions.
      Last edited by F-150; Apr 4, 2006, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Outstanding!

Comment

said it once and i'll say it again looks great!!
          Originally posted by F-150
          I use a debit card. (checking account w/ Chase) I'm 17 too.
          whats chase? i have never seen any online retailers that accept debit
          Patrick Yu
          2003 Honda Accord
          2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

It use to be Bank One, I use a Visa Check Card (linked to my checking account and it's a debit) for any online retailers and it works fine. I love it, it works anywhere in the U.S. I don't know about International though, sorry i don't think I'm helping.

Comment

Came out great!!
              btw, it's this a diesel?

Comment

F-150- That's one very impressive transformation! Bet you're glad you did it.
                Practical Perfectionist

Comment

That doesnt even look like the same engine anymore
                  Awesome job!

[edited for language. Please use only G rated language on MOL, Thanks; 2hotford]

Comment

KLnyc- it's not a diesel, it's a Triton 3V 5.4L V8
                    Last edited by F-150; Apr 23, 2006, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Great job on the engine clean up. That engine sure needed it.
                      Jesse

2009-2014 Meguiar's/Car Crazy SEMA Team
                      www.ShineTechAutoDetail.com
                      Facebook www.detailing.com

Comment

Very nice job! Very big improvement from before. I used Exterior Detailer from Mequiar's on my plastic and rubber parts under the hood of my car. Really made a nice difference.

2016 Focus ST

Comment

That is one huge transformation, guess I've got to do my integra DD it looks horrible and I hate getting dirty doing an oil change.

BTW, there is a problem with Simple Green and Aluminum diluted and short dwell can minimize it but. They sell an aircraft safe cleaner which will not cause issues on aluminum, it is on their site, but I've never seen it in a retail store. Lot's of aluminum on the Vette suspension, that's how I learned about it.

Comment

The engine compartment looks 1,000 % better. Also, now that it is clean it will run cooler and be much easier to clean the next time.

Comment

I'm not really into cleaning the engine periodically. I just did it because it was really dirty and whenever I took it to the dealership to get it serviced they were like whoa, haven't we been off roading eh? It just seemed weird that the exterior and interior appearance look detailed except once they look at the engine. Just cause there's always a slight risk in doing it and I don't show my truck off at shows (yeah it's only stock) I think at the most it'll get cleaned once every year or two. But wipe down with a damp cloth and do slight touchups whenever. Now all there is....is dust to clean off. But thanks for the compliments.

Comment

Originally posted by F-150
                                I'm not really into cleaning the engine periodically. ..[I mi9ght]..wipe down with a damp cloth and do slight touchups whenever. Now all there is....is dust to clean off..
                                I think you'll find that it's not all that hard to keep it nice once it's all cleaned up. I never do big details under the hoods of my drivers, but I keep 'em nice with just a few minutes work at every wash. Not concours-nice, but nice nonetheless. The quys at the quick-lube place all quit working and came over to gawk at the engine compartment of my minivan at the last oil change.
                                Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');