• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simple Green for washing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Green for washing

In a recent issue of a handyman magazine there was an article on using pressure washers. One of the tips was of coarse to use it to wash your vehicle. In the accompanying photograph a guy was pressure washing his truck and the soap siphon was in a bottle Simple Green cleaner. Is this soap okay to use on my truck if I dlute it .I use nxt wax and have read that some soaps (dish soap , laundry soap) will strip the wax off. I used to use both until I found this forum. thanks for all your advice.

i use simple green to clean my enigne bay and wheels

Comment

Re: Simple Green for washing

Originally posted by canoebuck
      In a recent issue of a handyman magazine there was an article on using pressure washers. One of the tips was of coarse to use it to wash your vehicle. In the accompanying photograph a guy was pressure washing his truck and the soap siphon was in a bottle Simple Green cleaner. Is this soap okay to use on my truck if I dlute it .I use nxt wax and have read that some soaps (dish soap , laundry soap) will strip the wax off. I used to use both until I found this forum. thanks for all your advice.
      Well, I dunno is Simple Green will take the wax off or not but I will say this. In the past I have used a simple green/water solution to clean the wax out of my PC Pads. To be honest, it did a great job at this. That being the case I would "think" it would be a little to harsh for you finish.
      Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

I would stick with a trusted Mequiar's car wash soap. However, simple green advertises that their product can be used for a car wash but it doesn't really tell you if it will strip off your wax protection.

I use Meguiar's Gold Class soap/shampoo and it gives great results and i want to really try the Meguiar's NXT Car wash.

I use my Gold class soap (in a car wash sprayer/soap dispensing unit) in a diluted form and it still works great.
        Darren

Comment

Simple Green makes a lot of different products, including a car wash. But I'm assuming here that the demo you read about used Simple Green's general purpose cleaner.

Simple Green is sold as a strong degreaser. That can't be good for the wax. I doubt it's good for paint either.

The pH is pretty high (>9). You hear lots of stories of people using it clean bare and polished aluminum on wheels and in engine bays then finding the metal corrodes.

Simple Green's website says; "The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green or Crystal Simple Green can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times of All-Purpose Simple Green and Crystal Simple Green with unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes."

The US Army says; "Don't use Simple Green to wash aircraft or aircraft components. ... This product has been through DoD testing and was determined to be highly corrosive on aircraft aluminum. It can also be a catalyst for hydrogen embrittlement in high strength aircraft alloys."

PC.

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc
            Simple Green makes a lot of different products, including a car wash. But I'm assuming here that the demo you read about used Simple Green's general purpose cleaner.

Simple Green is sold as a strong degreaser. That can't be good for the wax. I doubt it's good for paint either.

The pH is pretty high (>9). You hear lots of stories of people using it clean bare and polished aluminum on wheels and in engine bays then finding the metal corrodes.

Simple Green's website says; "The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green or Crystal Simple Green can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times of All-Purpose Simple Green and Crystal Simple Green with unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes."

The US Army says; "Don't use Simple Green to wash aircraft or aircraft components. ... This product has been through DoD testing and was determined to be highly corrosive on aircraft aluminum. It can also be a catalyst for hydrogen embrittlement in high strength aircraft alloys."

PC.
            hmm i am scared to try it on my engine now
            Patrick Yu
            2003 Honda Accord
            2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Originally posted by sneek
              hmm i am scared to try [Simple Green] on my engine now
              I never use this stuff on a vehicle except on really awful undercarriages. No way would I use it in the engine compartment of a vehicle I cared about.
              Practical Perfectionist

Comment

I think I got a little pitting on my muffler from using Simple Green, as this was before I was using the APC. Have to spend some time with the Nxt Metal Polish once spring comes, hopefully the marks will come out mostly.
                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

simple green stained my wheel wells, so i can only imagine what it would do on paint. i now just use the deep crystal car wash with a cheap washing brush from wal-mart.
                  NA

Comment

The US Air Force bans Simple Green from ALL airframe use.

You have so many other options...

Give it to your neighbor!

Jim
                    If it was easy, everybody'd be doing it!

www.jimmybuffit.com

Comment

Hey,

Do not use Simple Green for cleaning your car! I have heard of issues of it etching aluminum etc... Further, there are so many extremely sensitive components under the hoods of today's vehicles that I would not use any product unless it was specifically designed for that purpose and was made by a reputable company!

Tim
                      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
                        Hey,

Do not use Simple Green for cleaning your car! I have heard of issues of it etching aluminum etc... Further, there are so many extremely sensitive components under the hoods of today's vehicles that I would not use any product unless it was specifically designed for that purpose and was made by a reputable company!

Tim
                        I've also heard of simple green staining surfaces. Don't take the chance. And you should get better results for a product made for washing cars. I'm sure you'll be happy with nxt wash, gc wash, or any from the detailer line. And I've seen pics on theis forum somewhere that someone used nxt wash with a karcher pressure washer and had great results. That might be the way to go for you sine you want to use a pressure washer and a good wash solution.

Comment

2hotford, what would you recomend for cleaning engines? ... that is avalable in Canada
                          Patrick Yu
                          2003 Honda Accord
                          2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Simple green really did a number (in a bad way) on quite a few surfaces in my engine compartment years ago. Like my stock aluminum intake plenum (before I was supercharged). My plastic airbox and intake tube are still discolored from using simple green back around 98-99.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catalano
                              Simple green really did a number (in a bad way) on quite a few surfaces in my engine compartment years ago. Like my stock aluminum intake plenum (before I was supercharged). My plastic airbox and intake tube are still discolored from using simple green back around 98-99.

Brian
                              After cleaning your engine again w/ super degreaser or safe degreaser you should try hyper dressing, it'll probably hide the discolored plastic

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');