• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rotary Buffer with NXT Tech Wax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotary Buffer with NXT Tech Wax?

Hi newbie here, can someone help me with this question.
    Can i use a Rotary buffer with NXT Tech Wax and the proper steps to follow if this is possible please??
    Many thanks.

Re: Rotary Buffer with NXT Tech Wax?

Originally posted by Fazer8511
    Can i use a Rotary buffer with NXT Tech Wax and the proper steps to follow if this is possible please??
    Many thanks.
    I have not tried this myself. Also, I can't say I've seeen anybody within the forum say they have either.

I think most folks apply almost all the waxes/sealants with the PC or by hand as these methods are the least likely to cause any damage. I think #66 out of the Pro-Line can be applied via the Rotary depending on what the need would be. But IMHO, applying NXT with the Rotary would not be wise. I really can't offer any facts based on my limited experience here but from the general concepts I have been learning I would not do it. Speaking solely for myself here.

If you don't mind my asking, Why would you want to go this route. What is it exactly that you would hope to accomplish by going for the Rotary as Opposed to the PC or a hand application.

I use the PC to apply most all my waxes and find it very easy and get the job done.
    Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

Re: Rotary Buffer with NXT Tech Wax?

Many thanks.
      Hi Fazer8511,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

NXT Tech Wax is not formulated for application with a rotary buffer.

Besides that, if you apply waxes using a rotary buffer, it tends to leave the finish filled with holograms.

Best results with NXT Tech wax comes when you apply by hand or by using a dual action polisher.

What are you working on?
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: Re: Rotary Buffer with NXT Tech Wax?

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
        Hi Fazer8511,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

NXT Tech Wax is not formulated for application with a rotary buffer.

Besides that, if you apply waxes using a rotary buffer, it tends to leave the finish filled with holograms.

Best results with NXT Tech wax comes when you apply by hand or by using a dual action polisher.

What are you working on?
        Mike, since you brought up the subject of Holograms. I have a question. Are Buffer trails and holograms one and the same? What I tend to call buffer trails others seem to call holograms. I just did a search for hologram pictures and I generally refer to what the pics show as buffer trails. I am just trying to discern if there is a difference between buffer trails and holograms for my own understanding.
        Jeff Smith

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Rotary Buffer with NXT Tech Wax?

Originally posted by Jeff Smith
          Mike, since you brought up the subject of Holograms. I have a question. Are Buffer trails and holograms one and the same? What I tend to call buffer trails others seem to call holograms. I just did a search for hologram pictures and I generally refer to what the pics show as buffer trails. I am just trying to discern if there is a difference between buffer trails and holograms for my own understanding.
          Good question...

There is the general category of Swirls

Out of this we can break swirl into two primary groups,
          • 1) Machine Instilled - Typically from a rotary buffer
            2) Everything else - Poor technique including car washing, drying, product applying, product removing, poor quality tools, wash mitts, wiping cloths, applicators, and also things like automatic brush car washes.

Swirls from the first category tend to have a zig-zag pattern to them because of the way the rotary buffer is typically moved in some directional pattern, thus the holograms, trails or buffer swirls can usually be seen in some type of zig-zag pattern.

Rotary Buffer Swirls, Rotary Buffer Trails, Holograms

Cobweb or Spiderweb swirls are swirls that tend look somewhat like what a spider's web looks like in that when you look at a car's finish with the sun beating down on the hood you'll see a scratch pattern that appears to emanate around the the point of light. You'll also notice that as you move your body position and thus move the point of light around on the finish this cobweb-effect appears to follow the point of light. This is an indicator the scratches are evenly distributed throughout the finish.

Cobweb or Spiderweb Swirls

Think about this...

If you have a finish with cobweb-effect throughout the finish... and we assume at one point the finish started out without any swirls or scratches at all, for example a brand new car or a brand new paint job neither of which has been buffed or touched in any way...

How does the cobweb effect get into the paint?

Answer: It comes from the way the finish was touched. For cobweb-effect, the most common way these types of swirls are instilled is by washing and drying the vehicle. The worse the technique and the lower the quality of wash mitt, car wash solution, drying towels, technique, etc., the worse the cobweb-effect.

If you have cobweb-effect evenly distributed throughout the entire finish, then it only makes sense that it was instilled by a process that consistently and uniformly touches all of the paint on the vehicle.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rotary Buffer with NXT Tech Wax?

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
            Good question...

There is the general category of Swirls

Out of this we can break swirl into two primary groups,
            • 1) Machine Instilled - Typically from a rotary buffer

Swirls from the first category tend to have a zig-zag pattern to them because of the way the rotary buffer is typically moved in some directional pattern, thus the holograms, trails or buffer swirls can usually be seen in some type of zig-zag pattern.

Rotary Buffer Swirls, Rotary Buffer Trails, Holograms

To me these are probably the WORST kind, because they're often caused by a person who SUPPOSEDLY knew what they were doing.

Alex
            Last edited by MandarinaRacing; Mar 24, 2006, 05:47 PM.
            Mandarina Racing

Comment

Re Rotary buffer with NXT Tech Wax

Hi Mike and Jeff Smith,
              Thank you for your prompt response.
              My primary aim of using a Rotary polisher was to try to remove scratches and swirls as well as to achieve a deeper wetter shine.
              I decided to get a Rotary after reading through this article.

properautocare.com/witcirpol.html [edited for commercial link;2hotford]

However i might have confused myself with the materials used in the various processes such as
              A) Compounding,
              B) Polishing and
              C) Finishing.

I therefore didnt realise that Nxt Tech Wax falls under the (finishing) category and therefore using it with a Rotary is not adviseable.

I am using all this on a 2004 Toyota Altis Corolla. (Blue)
              Paintwork in reasonable condition as i was using primarily Zaino products early on and decided to switch to Meguiars recently.
              Thanks once again for the help and this forum really rocks.

Comment

Re: Re Rotary buffer with NXT Tech Wax

Hi Mike and Jeff Smith,
                Thank you for your prompt response.
                My primary aim of using a Rotary polisher was to try to remove scratches and swirls as well as to achieve a deeper wetter shine.
                Start by reading this thread, it will help you to understand the different options when it comes to choosing a tool.

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...&threadid=1395

I decided to get a Rotary after reading through this article.

properautocare.com/witcirpol.htm
                I addressed this quite thoroughly in this thread...

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...&threadid=6680

However i might have confused myself with the materials used in the various processes such as
                A) Compounding,
                B) Polishing and
                C) Finishing.

I therefore didn't realize that NXT Tech Wax falls under the (finishing) category and therefore using it with a Rotary is not advisable.

I am using all this on a 2004 Toyota Altis Corolla. (Blue)
                Paintwork in reasonable condition as i was using primarily Zaino products early on and decided to switch to Meguiar's recently.
                Thanks once again for the help and this forum really rocks.
                Read though this thread, I think you'll find it helpful

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...&threadid=6224

Plenty of good reading to bring you up to speed for the road your getting ready to go down...

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike,
                  Great write up as always about the defects. As I am teaching myself about all of this and have nobody "physically" available to point at things for me and tell me what they are and how to work them I am a little handicapped.

Thank you very much for taking the time explain that.
                  Jeff Smith

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');