• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Portable....garden hose...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable....garden hose...?

Instead of getting a pressure washer, even with low PSI....I was wondering, would it be possible to find a portable LOW pressure garden hose kind of set up?

Or, would I be better of just getting a small, 1300 psi pressure washer and a tank for water and hook it up to a generator?

What is your goal?

Personal use?

Part time detail biz?
    Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine
      What is your goal?

Personal use?

Part time detail biz?
      Part time detailing business

Comment

I've seen portable hose reels on wheels before. Check any garden supply center and they should have it.

Just make sure that wherever you go, there's a water supply that you can use.

And if you need it, you can also get portable reels for your extension cord. Depending on your needs, they can run from little plastic reels (50ft) to heavy-duty reels holding over 200ft of cable.

Side note: Post #200. Woo-Hoo!

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

Please allow me to clarify a bit.

lets say I do, in fact, have my own water supply....say, a 50 gallon tank attached to the inside of my SUV.
          I want to use this water thru a hose, with garden hose pressure....instead of using a pressure washer...is their a way?

Comment

Does the tank have a pump?If so, then you should be able to do it.

It's similar to how a fire engine operates, except on a much smaller scale. The only difference I can see is that fire apparatus has the ability to attach to hydrant for additional needed water, which you don't need. (I'm pituring an SUV hooked up to a hydrant!).

Comment

Get a 12 V water pressure pump for marine or rv potable water system. Par/Jabsco makes one kit that comes with a pressure regulated pump and a quick disconnect hose fitting with nozzle. I know this is sold in their marine line, but it may be cheaper in rv stores. Usually cost about 250.00 Canadian, probably half that in US.
              Keep your mast up and your rudder wet !!

Comment

There are a number of reasons a professional mobile detailer needs to have a pressure washer and not use a water hose:

1. In the mobile business, time is money. You can pre-rinse a car faster with a pressure washer, knocking off a lot of dirt that would contaminate the wash mit as well as knocking off brake dust from wheels faster and more effectively. And, if you wash engines there is no question the pressure washer is more effective and faster.

2. You can faster and more thoroughly final rinse the vehicle after cleaning and washing.

3. Having a holding tank you need to conserve water. A pressure washer uses no more than 3 or 4 gallons per minute of operation, whereas a water hose will use up 10 to 12 gallons per minute of operation.

4. If you wash engines, you will put far too much water on the engine with a water hose and I can guarantee you, from experience, you will foul an engine and have starting problems from an excess of water.

In my opinion and based on experience, stay away from water hoses, use a pressure washer.

If you want to be in the detail business you need to have the right equipment, if you can't afford the right equipment you need to question being in the business.

There is a difference being in "business" and washing or waxing cars.

Regards
                Bud Abraham

Comment

The PAR-max line of pumps are the ones I was talking about, the # 6 and #8 3.5 to 7.5 GPH, with maximum output pressure of 80 PSI. These would give you the low flow you need with limited water supply, and ability to use low pressure when needed. (I'd still get a pressure washer as well, but with both you will have the right tools for every job you encounter)
                  Keep your mast up and your rudder wet !!

Comment

Originally posted by buda
                    There are a number of reasons a professional mobile detailer needs to have a pressure washer and not use a water hose:

1. In the mobile business, time is money. You can pre-rinse a car faster with a pressure washer, knocking off a lot of dirt that would contaminate the wash mit as well as knocking off brake dust from wheels faster and more effectively. And, if you wash engines there is no question the pressure washer is more effective and faster.

2. You can faster and more thoroughly final rinse the vehicle after cleaning and washing.

3. Having a holding tank you need to conserve water. A pressure washer uses no more than 3 or 4 gallons per minute of operation, whereas a water hose will use up 10 to 12 gallons per minute of operation.

4. If you wash engines, you will put far too much water on the engine with a water hose and I can guarantee you, from experience, you will foul an engine and have starting problems from an excess of water.

In my opinion and based on experience, stay away from water hoses, use a pressure washer.

If you want to be in the detail business you need to have the right equipment, if you can't afford the right equipment you need to question being in the business.

There is a difference being in "business" and washing or waxing cars.

Regards
                    Bud Abraham
                    I'd rather not take the chance of blasting caked on dirt across the surface of the car.
                    Id prefer to have a hose type of set up with an attachment that will allow me to regulate the water flow settings, instead of being stuck with ONE setting.
                    For things like engine clean up, a portable steam cleaner can be used, or...the nozzle on the hose can be turned to a more focused setting
                    Also...your point about how much water a pressure washer uses versus a hose is noted, however...what needs to said is that an inexpensive flow regulator can be attached. And once again, what needs to be pointed out also is using a nozzle with multiple settings which will reduce the amount of water used and be just as, if not more effective.
                    For a final rinse....I dont believe blasting the water off as quick as possble is the best way. Ive adopted the Meguiar's method of letting water easily flow over the vehicle to reduce drying time.
                    Sure, you can fire the water over the car as fast as possble, however...the time you saved will be lost again by spending more time drying.

Comment

Originally posted by CELL
                      I'd rather not take the chance of blasting caked on dirt across the surface of the car.
                      Id prefer to have a hose type of set up with an attachment that will allow me to regulate the water flow settings, instead of being stuck with ONE setting.
                      For things like engine clean up, a portable steam cleaner can be used, or...the nozzle on the hose can be turned to a more focused setting
                      Also...your point about how much water a pressure washer uses versus a hose is noted, however...what needs to said is that an inexpensive flow regulator can be attached. And once again, what needs to be pointed out also is using a nozzle with multiple settings which will reduce the amount of water used and be just as, if not more effective.
                      For a final rinse....I dont believe blasting the water off as quick as possble is the best way. Ive adopted the Meguiar's method of letting water easily flow over the vehicle to reduce drying time.
                      Sure, you can fire the water over the car as fast as possble, however...the time you saved will be lost again by spending more time drying.
                      Nice reply
                      --ain't no fun waiting 'round to be a millionaire--

Comment

Cell...

Its been touched on in this post but here... something like this pump might work for you. Its a 12V "on-demand" pump, they can be found for under a $100, just depends how many gallons per min you want.

Here is an example (From Northern Tool):
                        SHURflo On-Demand Diaphragm Pump
                        12 Volt
                        2.8 GPM
                        Model# 1202.1000
                        $76.99

I believe once you stop spraying water the pump will also stop(senses the build up of pressure). Nice thing about the one above the fittings are set up for a garden hose but it might be a low GPM, I know there are others on the northerntool web site, search for "on-demand pumps".
                        Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                        Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Originally posted by gb387
                          Cell...

Its been touched on in this post but here... something like this pump might work for you. Its a 12V "on-demand" pump, they can be found for under a $100, just depends how many gallons per min you want.

Here is an example (From Northern Tool):
                          SHURflo On-Demand Diaphragm Pump
                          12 Volt
                          2.8 GPM
                          Model# 1202.1000
                          $76.99

I believe once you stop spraying water the pump will also stop(senses the build up of pressure). Nice thing about the one above the fittings are set up for a garden hose but it might be a low GPM, I know there are others on the northerntool web site, search for "on-demand pumps".
                          Awesome!

Now, how does something like that work? Hook it up to a tank and a hose and a generator?

Comment

Originally posted by CELL
                            Awesome!

Now, how does something like that work? Hook it up to a tank and a hose and a generator?
                            This one it 12V and most similar pumps are so it can run directly off your vehicles battery, I would guess you could get something similar for a 120V as well if you would rather run off a generator.

Not sure exactly how it would tap into your tank but might mount on the top with a hose that feeds down to the bottom of the tank then out to your garden hose. Just have to decide how many GPM will work for what you need.

Here is a:
                            Flojet On-Demand Pump — 12 Volt, 5 GPM, Model# 04300143A from Northern Tool.

For boats, RVs and more! This pump delivers up to 40 working PSI. For liquids to 130°F. Automatic pressure switch. Compact design and plug-in port fittings make installation easy. Can run dry without damage. Self-priming up to 8 feet above level of liquid. Operates at 8 Amps; 14 Amp max. 3/4in. hose barb. 9in.L x 3 3/4in.H.

might take a little work to get the proper fitting for a garden hose.
                            Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                            Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');