• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know if this is single stage paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know if this is single stage paint

Hi all,
    Just was asked to detail a 1985 Dodge Aries. Paint is neglected and sort of looks like Mikes Bronco extreme makeover. Does anyone know if this is single stage paint? At first impression to me it looks like it is. If it is what do you think the best process would be?
    Thanks in advance,
    Andy
    101impala
    Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
    Andy M. Moderator

i dont know for sure but i would guess that it has no clear coat

you can test for your self by using a paint cleaner in the door jamb or where ever you want with a white 100% cotton terry
    Patrick Yu
    2003 Honda Accord
    2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

I can't remember when they switched to b/c....both my '84 and my '85 cars are single stage but they're not Dodges. And some companies switched over gradually, usually doing metallics in b/c first and then solid colors a few years later.

Gotta watch that doorjamb test, some cars aren't cleared in places like that but are cleared on the outer body.

You'll know soon enough when you start working on it-lots of pigment transfer means either single stage or major clearcoat failure.
      Practical Perfectionist

Comment

hmm didn't know that i though the full body was painted first then cleared and then baked
        Patrick Yu
        2003 Honda Accord

Comment

Hey Andy, (Sorry for calling you Kelly; it must have been a long day!)

Do like the others have suggested and take some ScratchX and work it on a spot on the body. If it pulls color, the odds are it is Single Stage paint. I know GM started using BC/CC right around 1985, so it is possible that Dodge did as well.

Make sure you take some before and after photographs!

Tim
          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Mike,
            maybe you could chime in here. I just got done reading your Bronco makeover post again, and as far as I can tell the only thing you used was clay and Color-X. This '85 Dodge I am going to do is oxidized as you Bronco was. The only problem area I see on it is the roof, it looks like someone at one time tried to use a buffer of some sort on it and left marks. My question would be, will Color-X repair or "hide" some of these marks or should I go more agressive and use the G-100 and maybe M-80 or M-83, followed by tech wax. I will try to get some pics of the car and post them in this thread so I can get some more opinions.

Thanks
            Andy
            101impala
            Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
            Andy M. Moderator

Comment

sneek- I have spots on even my A8/S8 Audis that aren't cleared (this sorta disappointed me, to tell the truth, even if it is just on the subframe/in the wheelwells). It's been a while since I saw something that wasn't cleared in the obvious part of the door jambs, but it's not unheard of. Certain underhood areas on a *lot* of cars aren't cleared.
              Practical Perfectionist

Comment

hmm thanks for the info
                Patrick Yu
                2003 Honda Accord

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');