• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dish washing soap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dish washing soap

OK a friend of mine asked me this stupid question the other day when i was detailing his car...Why don't i wash the car with Dawn or any type of dish washing soap since the soap with be removing old layers of wax. I didnt really have a answer for him other than his car is not a dish. Can someone explain this so i can give an educational answer next time.

I guess people get this from the old practice of stripping wax from kitchen/office floors. There is no need to strip old wax prior to detailing, if you are doing any polishing, that will remove any wax that is on the surface. And it's not like the old wax has gone "bad". In the old days, floor wax would yellow and need to be stripped.

Comment

Here is a thread about washing your car with dish soap. You don't use dish soap for car washing.

Comment

Its kind of funny, your skin makes a very good anaolgy to paint.

Dishwashing soap pulls the oil out of your skin, making dry and crack eventualy. Same thing will happen with your paint. As your paint loses its oils, it will eventualy dry and crack.

The other thing many people dont realize is that dish soap will also eventualy dry out and discolor plastic and rubber, such as on body cladding and gaskets.

As Setec mentioned, going over with clay and a cleaner will remove any old wax anyway, and in a much much safer fashion for your car.

As Mike has said, why take a step backward and then a step foraward by drying out your paint/rubber, and then re-moisturizing it with polsih/dressings. Why wouldnt you want to take 2 steps forward....
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Re: Dish washing soap

Originally posted by gauchoy2k
          I didnt really have a answer for him other than his car is not a dish.
          That's a very good answer!

See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

Also, it's good to note that Meguiar's car washes are really sudsy, so they are much higher in lubricity.
            Proud owner of the finest looking car in the parking lot.
            Switch to Linux. Use energy efficient lightbulbs and appliances. Keep your car well maintained and drive easy to save gas. Eat less fast food. Call your mother and tell her you love her. Try flying a kite. Read a wikipedia article daily. Use Meguiar's.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');