• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raw alloy rims - best cleaner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raw alloy rims - best cleaner?

I have some alum alloy rims that I stripped to bare metal & I like the look, a bit rough metal like real mag rims. The inside barrel I painted black.

These are race rims so they get dusted with harsh pad dust every time I race, so I clean them after each event.

Which rim cleaner would do the best job AND leave a little something on the surface to seal/condition/shine up the surface.

I realize that this would be a TEMPORARY finish and I'm ok with that beacuse the dirt/clean cycle will be happening each time.

I know there are some "sealers" out there that many will recommend, but I don't have time now to get into trying different sealers etc.

Just a quick & easy cleanup that I can do after I wash the car down.

TIA

Nobody on this question?

Basically I wonder if I can use something very harsh, since it's bare metal anyway?

Comment

Not sure about the initial grime. I've had some wheel cleaners haze the finish of my motorcycle's wheels..sometimes good ol car wash soap and a brush is the best

NXT metal polish is a very good product. should leave some protection on there as well

I'm not sure if paint sealants such as #20 or #21 would 'stick' to metal..but would love to know

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Well, it seems like the All-Wheel cleaner is the safest for all surfaces.

And yes, you can use a sealer like #21 on wheels, and it works well.

Actualy, I am somewhat eagerly waiting to hear how the Metal Guard from the Marine line does on metal surfaces like wheels/exhaust where it can get hotter.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525
            Well, it seems like the All-Wheel cleaner is the safest for all surfaces.

And yes, you can use a sealer like #21 on wheels, and it works well.

Actualy, I am somewhat eagerly waiting to hear how the Metal Guard from the Marine line does on metal surfaces like wheels/exhaust where it can get hotter.
            Thanks, keep in mind these rims were stripped down to bare metal using "Aircraft Remover" - really strong stuff found in most automotive supply stores. So it's not like I have to go "gentle" on the finish. OTOH if I clean after each race the brake pad dust is NOT baked on there really hard.

I'm mainly looking for something that will leave a little shine or gloss to the rims since they are not at all shiny (like chrome rims for example).

A sealer that stands up to heat would be good I suppose, the rims get pretty hot under heavy braking.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');