Gun stock
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun stock

Registered Member

Gun stock

I suppose this question would go here.

I have a Browning Citori Ultra XT that I shoot trap with, and am wondering if I can use a Meguiars wax on it. I have Nxt, 16, and can easily get 26 if I need to.

Are these waxes safe to use on a wood finish. I don't anything about wood, but the finish on the gun is shiny, similar to a clear coat---I think it is a laquer finish,but really have no idea. I've used Birchwood Casey's stockwax on it, so I know that is waxable, but didn't know if any of these 3 waxes contained ingredients that make them a no-no fo wood.

Thanks,
    Matt

Registered Member
    I've used #16 and numerous other "for automotive paint" LSPs on the interior wood of cars so with a finish like your Browning has they shouldn't do any damage. Well, I honestly dunno about the NXT...

While I can't imagine anything in them being detrimental to the finish, *I* wouldn't use them (at least not the #16) as they'd make the stock too slippery for my liking. That's assuming it's a user and not a display-only piece, and it's just a personal preference thing, but something you might want to consider. I'm all about "form following function" when it comes to firearms and slippery isn't good IMO.
    Practical Perfectionist

Registered Member Mike Phillips's Avatar
    Hi Matt,

I saw this question get posted when I was teaching this weekend's class as I checked on the forum at noon while we we're eating pizza.

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...threadid=12111

Sorry I couldn't get to it at the time and a big Thank You to Accumulator for chiming in.

The wood on rifles and pistols and handguns are usually either finished or unfinished. If they're unfinished, (go coating like a paint), they you would want to use an oil made for unfinished wood. I'm pretty sure we make a couple of products for this type of wood and I'll collect the information for future use.

If you wood is coated with a paint, then it's likely lacquer or possibly some type of polyurethane or urethane. Either way, yes you can clean, polish and protect these types of finishes safely with products from our Professional and Consumer lines.
    Mike Phillips
    Office: 800-869-3011 x206
    Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net
    "Find something you like and use it often"

Registered Member
    Oh, I think I've made the description of the gun unclear, my bad. I meant to say that the wood is shiny as though it has a clear-coat on it.

here is a pic from the Browning site:

Sorry for the mix-up. My gun is just like this.

With that kind of gloss, clarity and shine, it looks like it has some kind of paint on it, clear paint of course.

I would contact the manufactures and ask them what type of coating in on the wood.

Regardless of the type, if it's a clear paint, then my suggestions still stand.

Nice looking shotgun by the way.
    Mike Phillips

I've resized the photo and uploaded it into our gallery. I noticed the photo was hosted on PhotoBucket and too many times when people post pictures hosted on PhotoBucket we end up with red x's down the road or this.

In fact it happens so often I wrote this article...

Why PhotoBucket is a waste of time...

Here are the photos in our gallery,

And here's a 700 pixel side section cropped out of the original to show off the finish on the wood.

Mike Phillips

Registered Member
    Ok, thanks alot guys

I've used the Birchwood Casey wax on it before, just wanted to make sure, say #16 for example, was safe to use on it. Thanks.

Lol, just got to thinking that a shiny gun could be an advantage during a shoot.

Registered Member
    Originally posted by matt colvin
    Lol, just got to thinking that a shiny gun could be an advantage during a shoot.
    Heh heh, I'd say the opposite, I don't like the chance of glare But man is that a beauty you have there! Guess I'd want to keep it looking good too.

Since last replying I checked the stock finish on my Browning Auto-5; it's old and even it has a clear finish on its wood as opposed to an oiled finish. Your gun is almost certainly finished with something far more modern/durable/etc. than mine and mine is the kind of finish that'll be OK with anything you're likely to try on it.

I'd avoid products that "dry white" as it might get into deep grain and be a pain to buff out. Or at least use the wipe-on-wipe-off method and accept the compromised durability (heh heh, I hesitate to even mention that disreputable application method ). I bet the #16 will look better than the Birchwood Casey
    Practical Perfectionist

Registered Member
    Yeah, i certainly hope it would Accumulator.

The checkering isn't cleared like the rest of the gun, and I have still yet to take a SOFT nylon toothbrush to it to get the white and dust off. But the gun did look good, and felt slick. Slick is good with a trap gun, because it allows your gun to slide under your cheek, instead of sticking and pulling your skin back. This why alot of people put talc powder on their cheekpiece, all in the aim of keeping that tight cheek weld that is essential to shooting well.

I'll try the #16 this weekend and report back. It still looks good on my truck a month and a half after 1 application, so it should look great of the gun's stock.

Registered Member
    Great point about the trap shooting and being able to slip into the spot-weld against your cheek, I didn't think of that

The checkering on mine appears to be sorta-cleared, but no, not like the rest of the stock. But then mine's pretty beat up so who's to say for sure. And I suspect that yours is finished to a different standard than mine
    Practical Perfectionist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information