Gun stock - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gun stock

Originally posted by matt colvin
    Yeah, i certainly hope it would Accumulator.

The checkering isn't cleared like the rest of the gun, and I have still yet to take a SOFT nylon toothbrush to it to get the white and dust off. But the gun did look good, and felt slick. Slick is good with a trap gun, because it allows your gun to slide under your cheek, instead of sticking and pulling your skin back. This why alot of people put talc powder on their cheekpiece, all in the aim of keeping that tight cheek weld that is essential to shooting well.

I'll try the #16 this weekend and report back. It still looks good on my truck a month and a half after 1 application, so it should look great of the gun's stock.
    Hey Matt,

For years, I used to target shoot/hunt and had all kinds of guns from Winchester's to Browning's. On my Browning A-Bolt Medallion, I would only wipe down the urethane coating with #34 Final Inspection as I did not want the coating too slippery for obvious reasons. Just IMHO!

Tim

Registered Member
    Tim,

That would be the same type of finish as mine. Thanks for letting me know what it is. I'm a member of a couple gun forums, and right now I don't know why I didn't just ask them about what the finish is.

As far as slickness, mine has some good checkering on it, so I'll have plenty of non-waxed stock to grap on to. I'd just like to protect it as well as I can. I bet the detailer sprays would really clean the smudges off quick though! I hadn't thought of that, thanks!

BTW, how'd you like the A-Bolt??? What was it chambered in?

I LOVED that Browning A-Bolt!!! It was a 7MM Mag with a 6x Leupold Scope. It was the best gun I ever owned! My next favorite was a Winchester Featherweight .30-06 that kicked like a mule. That one had a Redfield 4X Wide-angle scope on it. Third favorite was my .22-250 Browning with a with a distance compensating scope. That gun was crazy accurate!

Tim

Registered Member
    Just wanted to follow up on this. I'm finally home and off for the summer, so I had the time today to apply a thin coat of #16 to my Browning Trap gun. Unfortunately, I do not have a camera here, so you'll just have to believe me, lol.

I highly doubt that there have been many of these "grade" of Brownings that have had a gloss as good as mine now has. I first used blue painter's tape to mask off the butt pad, and they lightly turned a hi-tech applicator pad in the tin of #16. This was easily enough for the entire gun, in fact a little too much. I applied the wax to all non-checkered wood surfaces, and leaned to stock and forearm against a wall to dry to a haze. After awhile, the #16 was ready to show me its stuff!!! It filled any little scratches that the gun might have had, and created an awesome looking level of depth that really shows the good looking grain of my stock.

Thanks alot Meguiars, you've made me happy yet again!

edit: Oh yeah, my cheek slides on the cheek piece like never before, that will really help keep on the gun like I should. Bringing my head off of the gun is the principle reason that I miss during a trap shoot these days, so maybe my scores will go up!!!!
    Last edited by matt colvin; May 8th, 2006 at 02:48 PM.

Registered Member
    matt colvin- Glad it worked out so well for you!

Let's see if your scores improve...heh heh, that'd be a new advertising idea

Oh, you might want to be a little careful with your cleaning solvents and whatever you use on the metal parts, I'd expect such stuff to compromise the #16 if it comes in contact with it for an extended period.
    Practical Perfectionist

Re: Gun stock

I would just like to chime in as I tried something new after duck hunting opening weekend this year. I have an OLD H&R .22, no idea how exactly the stock is finished but it looks like polished hardwood of some variety. Anyways, I sprayed some Beosheild T9 and wiped the stock (well the entire exterior) as thoroughly as possible. Lent a nice sheer without becomign slippery, and based on previous experiences it should have a significant rust protection factor.

For those familar with T9, any thoughts? What is an easy way to figure out the best preventitive maint. for a wood stock of any given finish?

Re: Gun stock

Not to drag skeletons out of the closet, but coming from a family who hunts, i was always taught to use linseed oil on wood stocks unless it was know to have a lacquer on it. I have used linseed oil on many wood rifle stocks with no finish, and with several, and i mean several applications of linseed oil, you will get a stock that has a deep warm gloss due to the wood fibers absorbing the linseed oil. Just throwing this out there to anyone who wants to revive an old wood stock. Linseed oil can be found in most paint supply stores.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information