• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what does burned clear coat look like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what does burned clear coat look like?

i have an area on my black car where i was using the rotary. the paint all around this one area looks flat and fine, but then there is a small area where the paint looks rougher. it doesn't quite look like i burned through the clear, but i can't explain it otherwise. i do not have a camera with enough resolution to show it.

I will try to take a picture of it tomorrow.
    Last edited by psuvette; Apr 16, 2006, 09:01 AM.

Question--If you burned through the clear coat, would your pad have some of the underlying base coat on it? I think Mike Phillips says a way to see whether you have clearcoated paint or single stage is to look at you pad (even on the DA) and see if you have had any color tranfer, and if so, it is single-stage--the same logic would seem to apply if you burned through the clear coat and into the color base, but Newbie "logic" is often flawed!

Also, if any RB people read this thread, I have a related question--can you cook (i.e. overheat) the paint with a RB to where it is permanently dull. I haven't done that (I don't think), I am just curious if this is another thing to be careful about.

Comment

Originally posted by Monk
      Also, if any RB people read this thread, I have a related question--can you cook (i.e. overheat) the paint with a RB to where it is permanently dull. I haven't done that (I don't think), I am just curious if this is another thing to be careful about.
      I hazed the finish on a car one time with a rotary. It was when I was just learning, and it was a combination of too little product and too little movement. Here's a pic:

You can read the full story here
      My car's so shiny I can see your car's swirls in its reflection.

Comment

Originally posted by danielsan
        I hazed the finish on a car one time with a rotary. It was when I was just learning, and it was a combination of too little product and too little movement. Here's a pic:

You can read the full story here
        That picture looks more like clear coat failure issues. More specifically, it looks as though the failing clear was removed to reveal the base coat of paint that doesn't shine. If you were to burn the clear off, this is how it would appear unless you went through to the primer or metal.
        Quadruple Honda Owner
        Black cars are easy!

Comment

Originally posted by SpoiledMan
          That picture looks more like clear coat failure issues. More specifically, it looks as though the failing clear was removed to reveal the base coat of paint that doesn't shine. If you were to burn the clear off, this is how it would appear unless you went through to the primer or metal.
          Now that you mention it, it does look like the passenger side of my truckbed
          I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

Originally posted by SpoiledMan
            I think I said it somewhere in the original thread, but it was a really, really old single-stage finish. There was blue on the towel I dried it with.
            My car's so shiny I can see your car's swirls in its reflection.

Comment

how bout this..

things I get to repair every now and then

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');