• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

costly car detailing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• costly car detailing

interesting video from Britian, detailing an Maserati MC 12, applies wax by hand, literality.

Ever used $10,500 US wax? This guy has. This person details expensive cars. Worth checking out. Check out what items he uses.

Interesting... he was washing in the direct sunlight!?!?
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

he can do whatever he wants - it's 6k pounds for the wax and people are paying for it! I'll have him come over to hand massage my rusted miata
      2001 Vortex Blue New Beetle

Comment

Hi all,

You probably know but just incase the £5000 for wax includes a supply for life i.e. when 1 tub is empty you just send it back and they refill it.........errrrmmm........I was going to say free of charge ..........well it doesn't cost anymore put it that way

Bryan

PS I don't have any so if anyone has a FREE sample then I'm your man eh

Comment

I had heard about the wax before, but didn't know you apply it by hand. That's pretty cool.

I'd like to see two of the same cars side by side, one detailed by the products he was using, and one by Meguiars. That would be interesting

Comment

Was from a program called 5th gear, the guy washes the cars using 61 steps or something silly, the cars come out looking lovely though.

Comment

Well, if any of you locals want to give it whirl it's made here in the colonies and it's cheaper on this side of the pond (six thousand dollars instead of pounds ).

Rubbing it in by hand is real cute but I've seen paint that I could swirl with my fingertips. A 2-for-a-buck-ninety-nine High Tech Applicator Pad is more gentle.

Heck, if you're spending $6k on wax you might as well splurge and use a 2-for-two-ninety-nine Even-Coat Applicator pad.

PC.

Comment

Some one should tell him about the gritguard and the 2 bucket technic
                2000 Grand Prix GTP
                2007 Toyota 4Runner

Comment

This is an example worthy of Myths & Confusion

For the record and for what it's worth, I've used my bare hand to apply a wax to a car I machine cleaned and polished using the rotary buffer first, so the finish was absolutely clean, smooth and free of any defects. This was back in 1991 in Bellevue, Washington at a shop called, "Urban Logic".

I did it to see what it was like as compared to what others have said and what I've read because some people/companies have recommended this method to apply their products.

While I didn't see any real harm in the process, a soft foam applicator works better because the physics of the foam allow it to hold product inside of itself, that you can then release as you press gently against the paint as your moving the pad over the finish.

You skin on the other hand only holds a small amount of product on the surface, [of your hand and fingers], creating a disadvantage when compared to the foam applicator pad for applying wax effectively and in a timely manner. Just my humble opinion, but given the option of applying wax by bare hand nor with a foam applicator pad, I would choose the applicator pad hands down... no pun intended...

If you pay attention, you can feel if any abrasive particles enter into the process because of your sense of touch, so that's a real benefit but if you're working clean and using good technique then this shouldn't be a factor anyways.

I will say that to advertise, or market your services to your customers and to tout that you apply your wax using your bare hand holds some mystique or air of elite professionalism/craftsmanship to it, (but only to the uneducated in the art of polishing paint).

My honest opinion... no benefit at all to apply any type of wax or paint sealant using only your bare hand.

I would take a simple, clean, soft foam wax applicator pad every time no questions asked, no doubts about the end-results.

Of course, reading about it is second-hand knowledge, the best test is to try it yourself and get first hand knowledge on the topic and decide for yourself if there is any true benefit to applying a wax with your bare hand or if this is just a form of marketing.

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by BerraST
                    Was from a program called 5th gear, the guy washes the cars using 61 steps or something silly, the cars come out looking lovely though.
                    it sounds like its from top gear, but it is from 5th gear

but wow i want to go and try to apply wax with my hands even though almost all meguairs waxes say that they may cause skin irratation...its worth it!
                    Last edited by sneek; Apr 21, 2006, 01:27 PM.
                    Patrick Yu
                    2003 Honda Accord
                    2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips

I'll guarantee you that if we could have any single one of his customers attend one of our Detailing 101 classes here in Irvine, or one of the classes our Professional Field Reps teach, these customers would likely either do it themselves or locate and hire a detailer that knows what they're doing and charges a fair price without all the dog and pony show.
                      I would PAY to see the look on the owners expression...LOL

Alex
                      Mandarina Racing

Comment

lol at least every detailing fourm is bashing this guy
                        http://www.dpccars.com/car-movies/04...rDetailing.htm Sorry if this is a repost , but i thought it was kind of humorous .

i actually want to wax by hand really bad i thnk i will get some heated #26 paste and try it!
                        Last edited by sneek; Apr 21, 2006, 01:32 PM.
                        Patrick Yu
                        2003 Honda Accord

Comment

what a shame... he's using the rotary to buff scratches, and then re-installs them when applying the wax by hand i bet. i've touched cd's for example, with my hands thinking they're all soft, clean, etc... but that wasn't the case when i've tried to remove a piece of dirt, hair, or whatever off the cd surface, only to scratch it....
                          Last edited by imacarnut; Apr 21, 2006, 03:32 PM.

Comment

hmm maybe i wont try to wax my car by hand...i will try one of my rotary test panels
                            Patrick Yu
                            2003 Honda Accord

Comment

Meh, 6K pound for that wax? I bet my Meg #16 its 6K time better than that 6000 pound wax

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');