• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will be doing TWO extreme makeovers... I need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will be doing TWO extreme makeovers... I need some advice

Hey everyone, this is my first time posting. i've been around the detailing world for a while, but for the first time I've got the desire to really work it in depth.

Now, I've typically never typically done anything besides wash/claybar/wash/3 step before, but I want to get a little more in depth.

All I have is an orbital buffer (which doesn't seem to be worth its weight in landfill, LOL), but I'm still leary of using a buffer or a rotary.

I currently have (from meguiar's), the NXT car wash, the 3 step process, (cleaner/polish/wax), the NXT wax booster?? i think it is, and the hot rims wheel cleaner.

Here's what I have to work on:
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am.
    Now, this car is my baby. I bought it about 100% stock, with 77k miles on it. Runs perfectly well, fast (will be faster), loaded. Only thing is its paint is swirled to beat the band, and the chrome wheels need a little love.

Next up is the beater - 1992 nissan sentra.
    I figure this car will be as good as any to experiment on. It's red, but you can tell it's not as red as the TA anymore. There's a few spots where it's faded really bad, as well as some pretty nice scratches on the trunk lid.

Having said all that, I'd really like to do all the work by hand, because 1) I'm "cost effective" lol, and 2) I'm really leary of screwing up on the TA.

What products do I need besides what I have listed? I have also non-meg's clay, but that's about it. Thanks for any advice in advance! of course, pictures before and after will come!

thanks guys.

Matthew 19:26

Well, to remove swirls, you are going to need some kind of product with diminishing abrasives.. Here area few things to read first:

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Step 1 Wash

Step 2 Clean

Step 3 Polish

Step 4 Protect

Step 5 Maintain

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car

What it Means to Remove a Scratch

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

Rotary vs. PC vs. Regular Orbital Buffer

Recommended Products - G100a Dual Action Polisher

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

PC + #83 not "Cutting" it! - The Limits of the Dual Action Polisher

How to locate Meguiar’s Professional & Detailer products in your hometown
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

thanks for the reply!

I've read quite a few of those threads that you posted before I posted. They are quite informative. Lots of great info on this site.

I'll probbaly make a run to the shop tonight to see what i can pick up!

Matthew 19:26

Comment

You will want #80 at a minimum with the buffer, though depending, #83 could be needed.

Pads will have to depend on your machine, though some sort of buffing/polishing pad, and a finishing pad for wax would be good.

Or ScratchX by hand, though it really ***** to do a whole car. You can also try ColorX, but it isnt as agressive as ScratchX.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');