• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning wheel well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning wheel well

What is the best way to clean out your wheel wells? I've heard that use of a spray on degreaser usually works. I've also heard of people using portable steam machines. Any suggestions?

Heres what I do...

I have All Purpose Cleaner, diluted a bit between the 4:1 and 10:1 ratios, and in a foaming sprayer.

First, I hose the wheels, wheel wells. Then I spray APC in, let it sit for just a minute or less, then work it around with a small soft brush I found. THen hose the well out. Then after I am done with washing car, etc, I come back and dress the wells (black plastic lining) with All Season Dressing. I spray the dressing in, then work it around with a foam paint brush.

Seems to work quite well, though i think the milder Degreaser would work quite well, esp if you are dealing with tar a lot more. Mostly dirt and mud in my area.

Also, DO NOT USE SIMPLE GREEN. I made that mistake. It will turn the black plastic a flaky gray color.
    Last edited by Murr1525; Apr 25, 2006, 10:22 AM.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I use Safe D-Greaser instead, but the process is identical to Murr's. I just received a gallon of APC Plus, I'm eager to try it out on the wheel wells.

Never argue with an Idiot.. They'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience..

Comment

I've played around with my steamer (a good commercial one) but it just doesn't seem like the right tool for the job- the stuff in wheelwells doesn't seem to need the emulsification-through-heat that the steamer provides.

I too use a diluted APC on the beaters and a shampoo mix on the good cars (which are highly detailed in the wheelwells). If you dress/etc. them I'd just use the shampoo mix so the dressing lasts a little longer.

I use soft brushes (BHBs) and the Quickee Sponge Mop, which is a sponge on a plastic stick, made for cleaning the inside of glassware.

Once I get them clean they seem to stay that way with just a little attention at each wash, even through the winter.
        Practical Perfectionist

Comment

also... turning the front wheels makes it alot easier to get inside to clean them.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');