• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aluminum corrosion in Engine compartment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum corrosion in Engine compartment

Hi all,

This is one of my first posts because this is the first time that I haven't been able to find an answer in the archives.

My wife and I have have an new Dodge Magnum and a Dodge Ram Quad Cab. The hemi engines as you know are mostly aluminum. They are unpainted. Both have fluffy light corrosion all over them. What can I use to remove this, so I can detail th engine compartment?

Thanks
    Steve Anders
    Madison, WI.
    2005 Dodge Ram Daytona #1700
    2005 Dodge Magnum
    2004 Viper SRT-10
    1989 Shelby CSX474
    Your Mileage may vary

Any way you can take a picture?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

same thing

i had that white fluffy stuff on my aluminum
      in the engine compartment also.

the car engine had never been cleaned in its
      6 year life.

i wiped it off with a wet rag, but it still doesn't
      look that great.... wondering about trying some
      Blue Magic metal cleaner on a section of it.

any ideas?
      the right relationship is everything,

troy

Comment

I've got the same stuff on the aluminum on my '95 Mustang GT.I had it covered with a car cover quite a bit this winter and it showed up then.I've heard this might be electrolysis and also heard it might be from moisture.Anyone got any idea's on getting rid of it and keeping it from happening again?Thanks.
        Last edited by 686; Jul 11, 2006, 06:00 PM.

Comment

It's alumimum salts, which are a corrosion byproduct. And yes, just moisture will do this. Metal polish will remove this, but the problem is that usually those engine castings have an "as-cast" appearance, and the metal polish will give them a "polished" appearance, which means you have to polish every part of it for a uniform appearance...which can be a huge/impossible job. There is probably some microscopic pitting associated with the corrosion.

I'm not sure if there is a good chemical way to remove the "fluffy" salts, which would return the aluminum to it's natural appearance; most aluminum treatments are chromic-acid based. You might try a marine supply store, which may have the pre-treatment used before chromate conversion coating of aluminum, that might take it off.

Comment

These area that have corroded will usually be pitted, or rough, or at least rougher than before. Meguiar's doesn't make a product specific to this problem, the best thing to do would be to contact the manufacture and let them know about the problem, (if it's happening to you, it's likely happening to others), and see what they recommend.

If it's a real problem and they don't have a solution, then they need to re-think this product.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

what i finally did........

i was covering some rust on the frame with
              some rust converter and became inspired to
              to use the dremmel tool with a small wire brush to take
              the powder stuff off the aluminum....
              you're right, once you start doing something
              like that, it doesn't really look that great half
              finished...or barely started.

oh well, a little bit at a time.... then i hear
              something like, "dad, come watch me ride my
              bike!" then it's time to put car cleaning aside.

the right relationship is everything,

troy

Comment

Re: Aluminum corrosion in Engine compartment

You can't use a high speed wire brush on aluminium.It'll just make more of a mess.Possibly very fine steel wool and then alu polish might work.

Comment

Years ago I tried Aluminum Naval Jelly on a corroded intake manifold and it removed all the corrosion. And it left the surface with that non shiny gray look that it had in the first place.
                  If you do try it, try it first on a hidden spot so that if it does not look right it won't be as noticeable.

Comment

See this thread. http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33667 Be very careful using these chemicals in the engine compartment since they can damage some components.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');