• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baked on wheel grime, is there anything that will remove it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baked on wheel grime, is there anything that will remove it?

Well detailling my wheels today (they were very neglected) I pulled them and started cleaning them.
    I was using turtle wax's wheel cleaner (because its what I had) and it did an excellent job considering, however there are some spots and stains that just won't come off..

I scrubbed, I tried using engine degreaser, bug and tar remover, and a cleaner wax/rubbing compound and nothing would pull it out...

Is there anything out there that will get them clean?

Some spots look like rust however the wheels are clear coated aluminum (can't rust?).

What would you all reccomend?
    I have a feeling I will need something VERY strong to clean them...
    Thanks!

anyone? any tricks or special chemicals/techniques?

Comment

Not that this is something that I have tried, but how about a citrus cleaner?
      Quadruple Honda Owner
      Black cars are easy!

Comment

Re: Baked on wheel grime, is there anything that will remove it?

Originally posted by 99GrandTouring
        Well detailing my wheels today (they were very neglected) I pulled them and started cleaning them.
        I was using turtle wax's wheel cleaner (because its what I had) and it did an excellent job considering, however there are some spots and stains that just won't come off..

I scrubbed, I tried using engine degreaser, bug and tar remover, and a cleaner wax/rubbing compound and nothing would pull it out...

Is there anything out there that will get them clean?

Some spots look like rust however the wheels are clear coated aluminum (can't rust?).

What would you all recommend?
        I have a feeling I will need something VERY strong to clean them...
        Thanks!
        Since you say the wheels are clear coated aluminum, and that some of the spots/stains just won't come off, my first guess is that maybe these spots and stains are IN the paint, not on the paint and your best bet might be a paint cleaner such as ScratchX with a soft foam applicator and some elbow grease?

If that doesn't work, they could be permanently stained.

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

If all else fails, you can get the wheels dustblasted (sandblasting is too much) and then repainted. Expect to pay ~$200 for the entire thing.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');