• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NXT Tech Wax vs. Turtle Wax ICE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NXT Tech Wax vs. Turtle Wax ICE

It's only been a week since I applied three coats of NXT on my Mustang, and since then, I've been receiving more compliments from total strangers than on the day I first bought it. With its ability to give even light, metallic finishes a wet look, NXT made a believer out of me. And now it was time to make someone else a believer.

2003 Subaru Impreza WRX - World Rally Blue (Before car wash)

A couple of days ago, I talked with my friend Art, and he told me he just picked up a bottle of Turtle Wax ICE and he was planning to try it out. With that in mind, I issued him a challenge today between his ICE and my can of NXT Tech Wax Paste.

Shortly after bringing the WRX out for an oil change and car wash, we parked it at his apartment complex. Because he hadn't washed it in over three months (otherwise, he used Black Magic Wet Shine Spray Detailer every other month), I whipped out my Clay Magic Perfect Finish Kit and worked on the hood, roof and trunk. At first, Art was extremely skeptical about using a clay bar, but he was amazed when the hood no longer felt like sandpaper. After wiping the excess Clay Lube off the hood, I followed it up with a coat of ColorX.

And so, the contest began. Meguiar's highly-acclaimed synthetic polymer wax vs. Turtle Wax's newest liquid polish. The left side of the hood was treated with ICE, while the right side had NXT.

As many people have mentioned online, ICE showed absolutely no haze on the surface, thus it's very difficult to tell if it actually works. As soon as both products were dry (at least we assumed that ICE dried), the hood was buffed out. Unfortunately, I was unable to take any pictures that reveal the difference between both products.

Even though he wasn't an expert on waxes, Art did notice the difference. The ICE side looked no different from when it was treated with ColorX, while the NXT side revealed a darker, glossier finish. He was totally convinced that NXT was the superior product, so he threw the bottle of ICE back in the trunk (he'll give it to a co-worker) and we finished the entire car with a coat of NXT.

Art has never seen his WRX look this clean. For good measure, I gave him my Clay Magic kit so he can finish the other surfaces later. He will eventually get his own NXT Tech Wax, as I made a believer out of him. Hopefully, when he uses up the rest of his Armor All and Black Magic products, I'll have him fully converted to Meguiar's.

2012 KIA PICANTO
    Galaxy Black with Black Interior | 15" Kia Rims with Hankook Tires | DVD/GPS System with Back-Up Camera
    Meguiar's Ultimate Waxed. Quik Detailed on a daily basis.

Hey,

Thanks for taking the time to do a write-up including the photos. I know how long it takes!!!

Meg's NXT will and did make that color of blue just "pop"! Awesome!!!

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Though i'd think it be just a little more fair for the NXT to be the liquid wax.

But I agree, I'm not too much of a fan of ice wax... but their QD is another story.
      I <3 The Klasse Twins

Comment

Re: NXT Tech Wax vs. Turtle Wax ICE

I was using ICE on my brand new Yaris. Good stuff in that it is super easy to put on and super easy to take off. Gives a decent shine. Put the detailer spray on top the next day and keep it up and its very convenient. Having said that, I put a coat of NXT paste wax on and the difference is not subtle. It is demonstrably smoother, clearer and the beading is top notch. For those who want ease of use, one cannot beat ICE. NXT is far superior and the shine is superior. I have the NXT detailer and the two are as synegistic as ICE/Detailer but just much better.
        2007 Toyota Yaris
        2001 Volvo S60 T5
        1981 Volvo GLT Turbo

Comment

I also agree on NXT being the superior wax, nothing gives such a deep wet looking gloss. If you the the NXT QD is great, you should try the foam Last Touch QD from the detailer line, it's even better! I did a side by side on the hool of my car with both QD's and the Last Touch was easier to remove and left a "just waxed" feel where as the NXT didn't. I'm hooked on Last Touch now!

Mike
          Extreme Clean Auto Detailing
          ...taking auto detailing to the Extreme!

Comment

Originally posted by mh68 View Post
            I also agree on NXT being the superior wax, nothing gives such a deep wet looking gloss. If you the the NXT QD is great, you should try the foam Last Touch QD from the detailer line, it's even better! I did a side by side on the hool of my car with both QD's and the Last Touch was easier to remove and left a "just waxed" feel where as the NXT didn't. I'm hooked on Last Touch now!

Mike
            Thanks, Mike, I'll give it a try! I can say that the ICE detailer is quite good stuff. It has carnuba and it is great stuff. I don't mean to imply that it isn't. NXT is just better to my eye. I actually like the ICE on black plastic. It wasn't a total loss purchase. I have found that it brings something to the table.

Thanks again for the recommendation.
            2007 Toyota Yaris
            2001 Volvo S60 T5
            1981 Volvo GLT Turbo

Comment

i have ice to think only product i buy from turtelwax
              you can do bumpers wheels
              here has divrint name no towel no application pad
              alberto gorin
              known as gorin002

Comment

does the ICE actually do anything.... dont even know if it is there or not..... and doesnt make the finish look any different.... maybe its just water in a bottle......

Comment

Originally posted by benhui86 View Post
                  does the ICE actually do anything.... dont even know if it is there or not..... and doesnt make the finish look any different.... maybe its just water in a bottle......
                  My experience is that ICE does work, super easy to use and looks good but it doesn't compare to a pure wax in terms of shine or durability. I just put a coat of GC on top of NXT and frankly I'm dazzled by the look of the car. I'm going to post some pictures when I get a new camera tomorrow.
                  2007 Toyota Yaris
                  2001 Volvo S60 T5
                  1981 Volvo GLT Turbo

Comment

GOOD JOB! MAAAAAAAAAN.........SUB LOOKS GOOD. NXT TECH WAX ROCKS. TURTLE WAX **** .

Comment

Very good writr up and use of pictures. Glad to see you created another megs fan. You know the saying "each one teach one" Way to go.
                      quality creates its own demand

Comment

I felt that Turtle Platinum gave a better finish then Turtle Ice. Platinum has a look close to NXT. I dont know what Ice compares too.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry A View Post
                          I felt that Turtle Platinum gave a better finish then Turtle Ice. Platinum has a look close to NXT. I dont know what Ice compares too.
                          How do you like the Platinum Detailer? I saw it on sale at Meijer's and was just wondering what your impression was.

RamAirV1
                          2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                          2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

I don't like the TW detailer. I prefer the MG Quik Detailer. Even the MG Speed Detailer is not as nice to use as the MG Quik Detailer. Just my own opinion tho. TQ.

Comment

Originally posted by RamAirV1 View Post
                              How do you like the Platinum Detailer? I saw it on sale at Meijer's and was just wondering what your impression was.

RamAirV1
                              I like it. For me it works great.Other people may not think so . Some people like Black Magic Detailer. I think its the worst.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');