• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Took First + Mercedes SLR Mclaren

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took First + Mercedes SLR Mclaren

I took First in Class with the El Camino this past Sunday at the Bar Beach Car Show. Tons of muscle cars but none as "purdy" as the Elky!

At one point a new Mercedes SLR McLaren pulled in and parked right behind me. Attracted quite a crowd. I have to say, this was the most unimpressive near million dollar car I've ever seen. It had the strangest paint, to me it looked amateurish, nearly no depth to it, barely a reflection even. The nearest I can describe it is like looking at a reflective movie screen where you can't quite focus on where the surface is. Every comment I heard from people was the same, nobody understood what the big deal was.

Leo

thats a sweet car!
    Patrick Yu
    2003 Honda Accord
    2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Congrats DF
      1998 White Olds Aurora
      V8 260HP

Comment

If you gotta billboard "ITSCLASS", it means you don't have any! And, proof positive that money can't buy it.

The McLaren Mercedes SLR is a very big deal.

2005 MERCEDES-BENZ SLR McLAREN
        Vehicle type: front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 2-passenger, 2-door coupe
        Estimated base price: $400,000
        Engine type: supercharged and intercooled SOHC 24-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, port fuel injection
        Displacement 332 cu in, 5439cc
        Power (SAE net) 617 bhp @ 6500 rpm
        Torque (SAE net) 575 lb-ft @ 3250–5000 rpm

Transmission 5-speed automatic
        Wheelbase 106.3 in
        Length/width/height 183.3/75.1/49.6 in
        Curb weight 3800 lb

Manufacturer’s performance ratings:
        Zero to 60 mph 3.8 sec
        Top speed (drag limited) 207 mph

Projected fuel economy:
        European urban cycle 10 mpg
        extra-urban cycle 22 mpg
        Last edited by STG; May 5, 2006, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Re: Took First + Mercedes SLR Mclaren

Originally posted by DFTowel
          [B]It had the strangest paint, to me it looked amateurish, nearly no depth to it, barely a reflection even. The nearest I can describe it is like looking at a reflective movie screen where you can't quite focus on where the surface is.
          That's what happens when you paint over carbon fiber. If you've ever seen an F40, they have the same problem. Thin paint and the weave of the fiber undeanrth make it not only hard to polish, but it's hard to be the paint look good except under certain lighting conditions(the same low level light that makes all the magazine photo shoot cars look good).
          I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

The body is carbon fiber?
            Leo

Comment

Originally posted by DFTowel
              The body is carbon fiber?
              For the most part, yes.
              I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

Re: Re: Took First + Mercedes SLR Mclaren

Originally posted by gbackus
                That's what happens when you paint over carbon fiber. If you've ever seen an F40, they have the same problem. Thin paint and the weave of the fiber undeanrth make it not only hard to polish, but it's hard to be the paint look good except under certain lighting conditions(the same low level light that makes all the magazine photo shoot cars look good).
                I like to shoot cars and have always been amused by the techniques required to highlight paint defects in before / after photos. Exactly the opposite of what's required for normal automobile photography. I'm waiting around for the "golden hour" while the guys on this forum pray for high noon with no clouds.

Everybody at the Mustang Cruise Night was encouraging me to photograph this Ford GT I borrowed "while the sun was still out" because I'd never get a good photo after sunset:

Shot in ambient light at 1.5 seconds exposure.
                Last edited by STG; May 6, 2006, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');