• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to Use on Fake Chrome Trim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to Use on Fake Chrome Trim?

My Mustang has chromed plastic bezels for the gauge pods and A/C vents. What's the best way to clean them without rubbing off the chrome finish? I'm not sure, but they might be clearcoated.
    2012 KIA PICANTO
    Galaxy Black with Black Interior | 15" Kia Rims with Hankook Tires | DVD/GPS System with Back-Up Camera
    Meguiar's Ultimate Waxed. Quik Detailed on a daily basis.

Are you sure its fake? Way to tell is if its uniform like a mirror or has specks in like a metalic paint. Even then it can be difficult but if it even slightest bit resembles ture chrome it may be plated. They dont often use painted plastic on the int. of cars so you should be a able to uses your preferd dressing. or all metal polish.

from the pennut gallery.....

Comment

Well, you can just apply your Nxt Tech Protectant to protect things, or The Quick Interior Detailer to get the finger prints off.

Applying Nxt Metal Polish could get messy on an interior...
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I've used Plastic X on that before, with great results..

Since it really isn't metal, I didn't want to use All Metal Polish..

So since it was plastic, I treated it just like a headlight..

Now I don't use Plastic X everytime I wash. Like Murr stated, I use Quick Interior Detailer to maintain, and use the Plastic X when I do a thorough detail..

Magic,
        Never argue with an Idiot.. They'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience..

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525
          Well, you can just apply your Nxt Tech Protectant to protect things, or The Quik Interior Detailer to get the fingerprints off.
          Hmmm...Tech Protect may seem too greasy to clean the bezels, but I'll give it a shot. Otherwise, I'll pick up a tub of QID wipes.
          2012 KIA PICANTO
          Galaxy Black with Black Interior | 15" Kia Rims with Hankook Tires | DVD/GPS System with Back-Up Camera

Comment

My XJS has that on exterior trim, which takes a real beating compared to the interior. Other vehicles of mine have it on the interior and I treat it all the same way: I clean it with a nonabrasive cleaner wax or similar product, and I like to top that with something long lasting (some kine of LSP). Then I clean it with #34 on a soft, plush MF. Watch you don't scratch it as the scratches are forever.
            Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Well, I apply the Tech Protectant, let it sit for 5 minutes or so, then come back and wipe off excess.

Do you use Tech Protectant for all of your dashboard, interior plastic/vinyl, or something else? Certainly Meguiars other interior protectants could be used as well.

Comment

Do you use Tech Protectant for all of your dashboard, interior plastic/vinyl, or something else? Certainly Meguiars other interior protectants could be used as well.
                I use Tech Protect on the dashboard, center console and door panels. Since the steering wheel and shifter knob are leather, I use Gold Class Rich Leather Wipes on them.

On the chrome bezels, I was actually using Simply Z-Best Car Wax on them. I also have a bottle of Master Formula Sealer Gloss and I was thinking of trying that, too.
                2012 KIA PICANTO

Comment

Sure, you could wax them. Just be carefull, as dried wax can stain plastic/vinyl, like on the exterior.

Comment

Sure, you could wax them. Just be careful, as dried wax can stain plastic/vinyl, like on the exterior.
                    The thing about Z-Best is that it leaves no chalky residue and doesn't require drying. Once it hazes a bit, wipe it off.

I stopped using it on the paint surfaces because it doesn't give the wet look I'm looking for. Thus, I use NXT Tech Wax. For the meantime, I'll continue to use Z-Best on the wheels and exterior chrome trim until the bottle runs out.
                    2012 KIA PICANTO

Comment

Sure, you can use it inside too. Since it hasnt stained your exterior trim, you might keep it around for the interior trim then.

Comment

I gave away my last bottle of Z-Best today. This weekend, I'll try using NXT Spray Wax on the Chrome trim.
                        2012 KIA PICANTO

Comment

I’m going by the pic... and the reflection from that looks like it’s plated not painted or imbedded... on the steering wheel is imbedded plastic... If your still in doubt call up you nearest ford service department and ask if it plated or painted.

Thing is that if it is chrome plated you want to treat it like anything else that is chrome plated. If you apply plastic dressing to it, it will smear and will not really protect it from acid from the environment or you fingers.... I don’t know about you but I live in Hawaii the air has a ph of about 5 or 6 depending I would sorely regret in about a month not treating it right. As it is my one-year-old truck has acid rain etching in it. (btw I wax once a month with nxt)

It’s harder to find someone that will replate plastic then iron (Like find someone that’s really good with a rotary)... Much more difficult to do... So take care of that chrome....

Something to keep in mind: if your ext. grill was chrome plated plastic what would you put on it?

Ok now for some education for those that don’t know how one might plate plastics. It starts by applying copper to the plastic (there more way the one can think about, most common is to us a paint or apply adhesive and blow copper flake on) after that an electrode is applied to the copper and it is dipped in chromium peclormate for the amount of time that is necessary to achieve the right thickness. It is sanded and buff to luster if necessary. If you have every seen old chrome plated plastic that has been pitted you will see copper specks in it that you cant polish out...

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');