• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BRAND NEW '06 Roush Mustang Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BRAND NEW '06 Roush Mustang Help!

My NEW baby that I ordered has arrived !!

(Sorry, it will not quit raning long enough to get a good photo)

I have owned quite a few cars, but this is the first BRAND NEW WHITE CLEARCOAT car for me. And of course everyone has opinions on what I should do to maintain it. I have learned from experiance what works best on convertible tops and leather interiors, but the new finishes out there has me confused, so here goes on my questions. (By the way, the car will spend the nice months outside, and the winter garaged)

Should I claybar the car even though it is BRAND NEW ?

Should I use carnuba wax on a white car, (I was told that it could tinge the car yellow) OR use Clearcoat Wax ?

The car has blue tape striping on it. Should the striping be treated different than the paint ?

The car has the Roush 5-Spoke CHROME wheels. Should I use chrome polish on them, or since the are new, keep after them with just wax ? (I also heard that carnuba wax is not good for use on wheels because it has a low melting point. Any comments on that?)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ron
    Attached Files
    Last edited by roushmustang; May 4, 2006, 10:18 AM.
    2006 White Roush Mustang Convertible

2000 Silver 2000 Mustang GT Convertible

"Work like you don't need the money.
    Love like you've never been hurt.
    Dance like nobody's watching."
    ............Satchel Paige

Welcome, and nice car....

Here are a few articles you definately will want to read over first..

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Step 1 Wash

Step 2 Clean

Step 3 Polish

Step 4 Protect

Step 5 Maintain

A Lesson From White Paint

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car

Which LSP is Best for Light Colors

How to locate Meguiar’s Professional & Detailer products in your hometown

Let me give a brief answer to your questions, then you can read the articles to get a better idea, and follow-up with any questions..

1. Yes, absolutely clay a new car. The Smooth Surface Clay kit is nice and mild.

2. You can certainly use a carnuba blend wax, though my favorite right now is the #21 Synthetic Sealant.

What are the Differences Between Meguiar's Waxes

Keep in mind those area little older articles, I think one or two new waxes have came out since, including #21.

3. Not sure... I'll let someone else answer that. But definaetly be delicate around it.

4. You can use the Hot Rims Chrome Wheel Cleaner or Nxt Metal Polish to clean them (or both). You can also follow up with #21 for the wax protection you mention. And no, carnuba is not used much on wheels.
    Last edited by Murr1525; May 4, 2006, 10:34 AM.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

A buddy of mine just got a '06 Mustang GT convertible in white. It looks sharp. I love the racing stripes and hood scoop on the Roush. How does she run?

Comment

OMG i love that car!!!
        Patrick Yu
        2003 Honda Accord
        2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Originally posted by sneek
          OMG i love that car!!!
          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Thanks Everyone !!!

I want to thank everyone for their help and comments.

I will be wearing out my arms this weekend trying out your suggestions.

By the way, yesterday I took the '06 Roush to a hand car wash that's only 5 blocks from my home in Morton Grove. The owner asked me if I had waxed it yet. I told him no, that I was planning to do it this coming weekend. He proceeded to pull out Meguiar's Clay Bars, #21 Glaze, Quick Detailer, and quoted me only $55.00 to do the job, saying his guys have been trained how to do it by a Meguiar's Rep!

And the reason he uses Meguiar's is that's what the majority of his customer's were asking for!

Man, sounds like a great deal, and I will have them do it in the future, but, this is my 'New Baby', and I think it's "First Time" should be with me !! (Now I know I'm sick or crazy)

Thanks again everyone. This weekend I will get some better photos into a gallery.

Yours, Ron

Comment

Did the shop say they were going right from clay to wax, or doing any other steps in between?

Not a bad deal for a quick touch-up, but you wont want to go forever without some cleaning/polishing steps as well.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

'06 Roush Mustang

He looked the car over for any swirls and any marring.

He felt that it did not need any polishing.

But this weekend I am going to give it a LIGHT polishing after the clay bar, and then a couple of coats of Clear Coat wax.

(I allready bought it and opened the box....I am going to try the #21 next time, their are a couple of shops in my area that carry it)

Yours, Ron

Comment

Re: Thanks Everyone !!!

Originally posted by roushmustang

By the way, yesterday I took the '06 Roush to a hand car wash that's only 5 blocks from my home in Morton Grove. The owner asked me if I had waxed it yet. I told him no, that I was planning to do it this coming weekend.

He proceeded to pull out Meguiar's Clay Bars, #21 Glaze, Quick Detailer, and quoted me only $55.00 to do the job, saying his guys have been trained how to do it by a Meguiar's rep !

And the reason he uses Meguiar's is that's what the majority of his customer's were asking for !!

Yours, Ron
                  Reading the above is very impressive. So often the stories associated to detailers are horror stories after the fact. In this example, it's exactly the opposite, you met someone offering you quality work using quality products that mimics the recommendations given to you here on our forum. It's a uniform message.

Could it be we've hit a critical mass of information dissemination to the point that you're experience will soon become the norm and not the exception?

We can only hope...

Congrats on the Stang, it does look like a beauty!

As for the stripes, the usual rule of thumb is to test a product in a small, inconspicuous area and check your results. When it comes to graphics, vinyl stickers and stripes, it's going to come down to one of two scenarios... Whatever you're using, for example a wax, is either going to make the graphic look better or worse.

1) If it looks better after applying and removing to the small area, then apply to the entire thing.

2) If it looks worse, then be glad you only applied the product to a small, inconspicuous area.

There is an exception to the rule and that's sometime there is no effect either way. Be careful not to loosen and lift any edges and be sure to remove any product from the edge or seam of the graphic where it ends on the paint.

Modern graphics tend to be of a much higher quality than the materials used years ago and my personal experience has been the appearance of most graphics are either unaffected by the application of a wax or look better, but always test first.

Usually doing something to them is better than doing nothing at all especially over time as the second law of thermodynamics as applied here means in most cases things get worse and worse with time, not better and better. Thus finding a product that will help you to maintain the new condition of the graphics is important.

"Find something you like and use it often"

Also, for some types of graphics, our Gold Class Trim Dressing when applied with a soft foam applicator and then wiping the surface free from any leftover product will improve the appearance and help maintain the new condition of the graphics over the service life of the vehicle.

As to the comment about some Carnauba waxes tinting paint, this is usually misinformation parroted by the misinformed on other forums. Keep in mind 99.9% of all new cars, truck and s.u.v.'s have a clear coat paint system and the application of a yellow colored wax like our M26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax, or our M21 Synthetic Sealant, which is a purple color, are not going to dye your clear coat finish a different color. After apply, let dry and then remove the wax, the clear coat will still be clear.

Remember the forum name of the person that posted this information and in the future give everything they post the appropriate respect.

As for applying some type of protectant to the wheel. Currently nothing that I know of holds up over time on wheel surfaces. It helps to wash, clean and apply either a metal polish or a paint protectant if the wheels are painted, but remember these types of product will wear off and the idea is to replace them.

Have fun with Meguiar's and your new Roush Mustang!

p.s.

How to put pictures into your posts
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

First, 'grats on the Stang, I'm not a huge fan of the S197's but Roush really got it right-sweet car!

Now-I would clay no matter what-it was shipped, it sat somewhere, no use in doing all the hard work on the finish if you dont get any "nasties" off first. My '00 stang has been garage kept unless we're driving it, washed or QD'd after each outing and waxed frequently-and I still clay it twice a year. Stuff just gets on paint!

I clay, use the paint cleaner, polish then wax-then wax again the next day to get a second layer on after the first cures. Just rememebr that the polish & cleaner dont need to dry/haze like the wax. And Microfibre towels are your friend!

Comment

Thanks so much to everyone.

Saturday I washed, cleaned, clay bar'd, polished, washed again, and got one coat of wax on before I gave up for the day.

During the week I will get a couble more coats of the Clear Coat wax on it.

It is realy turning out great.

Thanks again.

I am including 1 photo here because I dont know how to place a link or something to my Mequiar's gallery where I have a few more views.

Yours, Ron Zibble
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by roushmustang

Thanks so much to everyone.

Saturday I washed, cleaned, clay bar'd, polished, washed again, and got one coat of wax on before I gave up for the day.

During the week I will get a couble more coats of the Clear Coat wax on it.

It is realy turning out great.

Thanks again.

I am including 1 photo here because I dont know how to place a link or something to my Mequiar's gallery where I have a few more views.

Yours, Ron Zibble
                        OUCH! I better not let my son see that pic!

Comment

Here you go

Last edited by sneek; May 7, 2006, 05:33 PM.
                          Patrick Yu
                          2003 Honda Accord

Comment

Awesome, Sneek

Comment

lol I love that car soooo much!! i want one soo bad, i think i am going to buy a 06 mustang, but i don't know yet.

Saleen S281s, the mustang GT-R s and the GT 500s are the only domestics that are better lol oh ya that and the new Z06
                              Patrick Yu
                              2003 Honda Accord

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');