• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutting Pad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Pad?

Guys..

So I have been using the W8006 and the W9006 for a while now, I use the W8006 for applying M80 and the W9006 for 66, can some tell me what exactly is the cutting pad (w7006, I think), used for?

Although the folks at Meguiars do not recommend using the cutting pad on a pc because it can cause marring and possibly do other damage, I have used it with #83 for some pretty serious swirls and scratches. I've followed up with and W8006 pad. This has been on my black Hemi. It's still black.

Tom

Comment

Meguiar's doesn't recommend using our cutting pad with the dual action polisher for the reason Tom outlined, that is on some paint systems, while it will remove the defects, it will also leave micro-marring or a haze in the finish.

Many people don't know how to recover from this and panic, in most cases this micro-marring can be removed by going to the next step which is to re-polish the paint with a less aggressive pad and product combination.

In the past, people have joined our forum after using other companies cutting pads on paint and having the micro-marring problem and we've helped them to recover, so it is a real problem, no matter whose cutting pad you're using with the dual action polisher.

If you decide to use a cutting pad on the dual action polisher, first test it out in a small area and check your results, otherwise if you run into a problem you'll be back here letting us know you have micro-marring throughout the entire finish, (because you didn't test in a small area first), and now you have to fix the entire car.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

How have you been removing your wax so far?

The cutting pad + bonnets can be used to remove wax.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

please bare with on this one guys...

so am I correct in saying that the cutting pad, can be used to remove below surface defects, but would / could also cause micro-marring / haze but then using the w8006 with , lets say 80, would remove the micro-marring? and bring back the shine?

Comment

Originally posted by Rowen
            please bare with on this one guys...

so am I correct in saying that the cutting pad, can be used to remove below surface defects, but would / could also cause micro-marring / haze but then using the w8006 with , lets say 80, would remove the micro-marring? and bring back the shine?
            There is no "Yes" answer because it depend on how sensitive your paint is to scratching and you skill level.

Also, M80 isn't always the best product, that's why we offer M82 and M09, it's like I always tell my son,

"You don't know what you can do until you try"

You, (Rowen), won't know what you can do until you try.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Mike!

Well, I have no Idea whats M82 and M09 is about, let the research begin!!

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');