• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zebrano wood on dash, best way to clean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zebrano wood on dash, best way to clean

Hi everyone. Just wondering if anyone knows of a good way to clean the wood in the interior of the car. Normally I just wipe down with the Meguiars all purpose cleaner and then wipe down with some Natural shine rubber and vinyl protectant as Iam cleaning the dash. It leaves a real greasy and slippery oil film behind. So if anyone can recommend anything else it would be appreciated. Willl Scratch X also remove the tiny scratches on the wood? The wood seems to be clear coated. I have this problem in all 5 of my Mercedes.
    Thanks all!
    Brandon
    Mercedes-Benz:
    1987 190E 2.6 -Champagne
    1991 300SEL -Smoke Silver
    1992 190E 2.6 -Smoke Silver
    1992 400E -White
    1992 SE300 -Silver

Hi Brandon,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online

I'm 99.9% sure that our wood trim is clear coated. That being the case, then you should treat it like paint and use a wax on it.

For removing fine scratches, you could use ScratchX. For something as delicate as a clear coated piece of wood, I would first test in a small area before applying to the entire piece of trim.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hey Mike! Thanks for the welcome!
      Mercedes-Benz:
      1987 190E 2.6 -Champagne
      1991 300SEL -Smoke Silver
      1992 190E 2.6 -Smoke Silver
      1992 400E -White
      1992 SE300 -Silver

Comment

Zebrano cleaning

A number of people at www.MercedesShop.com say they have used plastic lens polish to 'de-swirl' the surface of the Zebrano wood (They say it is a thick plastic coat over the wood, and a plastic polish is appropriate).

I haven't tried the plastic polish, but have used #9 on my center wood with good results - it wasn't very badly swirled to begin with, however. I was careful to keep the #9 away from the switch openings. I feared that if any glopped over into the switch cut out, it might soak into the raw edge of the wood at the cutout and bleed back under the clear coat material around the switch, let alone what it might do to the switch.

Next time I will probably give the Scratch X a try.
        Last edited by JCE; Aug 9, 2004, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');