• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DACP -- How often?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DACP -- How often?

Mike, Tim and others,

How often can you use DACP when you start with a new vehicle? I tend to use it quite a bit on the hood of my black Hemi because of water spotting, etc. If you go through the clearcoat, is it just a matter of going to a body shop and having them rough the surface and apply more clearcoat ?

Would it be better to use MCCP rather than DACP for minor swirl and marring removal?

I usually use #82 after DACP.

I keep a new vehicle for 3 or 4 years.

I might have been better off not knowing about DACP.

Tom

I'd say use as need, BUT use the least aggressive method first. That might lead you to #82 or MPPC.

Clearcoat not too sure.

Good luck

Comment

Whoa there, scooter!

There are many less aggressive polishes, particularly for waterspots. Speed Glaze would be a gradual withdrawal for you...

Think about multiple layers of NXT, and maybe a #16 carnauba topper. Ain't nothin' wrong with a sacrifical layer, particularly when it comes to waterspots!

Jim
      If it was easy, everybody'd be doing it!

www.jimmybuffit.com

Comment

Hey Tom,

That is a tough question to answer as it depends on the application method (PC or rotary), the type of buffing pad etc... . It also depends on the paint itself and how thick the BC/CC is from the factory.

I can tell you that I have used #83 DACP probably 3 - 4 times a year with a W-8006 Polishing Pad on my personal vehicles without difficulty. I can usually get away with #82 Swirl Free Polish most of the time and use the #83 DACP when, and if, there is a need.

Once you have the finish to its "maximum potential" , general maintenance should be all that is needed. If you do have water spots, I would try the MPPC first, and if that does not work, move on to #83 DACP. Then be sure to keep 2 coats of NXT or MPPP for protection.

Cheers!
        Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Thanks, Guys.

I've found that since I switched over to NXT and started using microfiber waffle weave towels for drying my toys, I am getting less marring. The waterspots I've exerienced most recently were from just rinsing and not drying the truck -- another learning experience.

The hood on my truck gets very frequent applications of NXT and it seems to be doing its job.

I tend to reach for the DACP because it works so well. Perhaps too well.

Tom

Comment

Will DACP help reduce orange peel? I would use a PC.
            Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
            Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Originally posted by gb387
              Will DACP help reduce orange peel? I would use a PC.
              No, not really. Although #83 DACP with a PC will remove a very slight amount of BC/CC, it takes serious leveling of the paint to remove orange peel. A PC just does not have the power to do that. In fact, to remove orange peel, I will wet sand the finish, then using a rotary, #85 Diamond Cut 2.0 and a W-4000 Wool Bonnet, remove the wet sanding marks. This can be VERY difficult on OEM paints as they are curred and are sometimes very hard! Plus the procedure is VERY dangerous as it is easy to go through the clear coat!

Several applications of #83 may soften the look of the orange peel but it will not eliminate it, IMHO.

Tim
              Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Re: DACP -- How often?

Originally posted by tguil
                How often can you use DACP when you start with a new vehicle? I
                I asked a similar question of Mike at a Detail Day. I have a new black Infiniti and asked if there would be any problem using #83 with a PC every 6 months or so. He indicated no problem at all. That said, I'll try #82 first since the swirls are fairly light and only move to #83 if I need to.
                TwoTooBlack

Because one black car just wasn't enough . . .

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');