• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A strange but serious question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A strange but serious question

Hey guys.

Ive been detailing cars for about 15 years now and have used a million different products.

Recently, I had a blood test and the results showed I have slightly elevated levels of Cadmium in my blood. A second test to check also cofirmed this. The Dr said I could have got it from being exposed to thinners, galvanising agents or a list of other things, but I haven't been exposed to any of them.

My question is: Do any Meg's products contain Cadmium? Don't worry, Im not going to sue anyone, and Meg's isnt the only product Ive used over the years. Just curious that's all...
    Originally posted by Blueline
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

How might I be exposed to cadmium?

* Breathing contaminated workplace air (battery manufacturing, metal soldering or welding).
    * Eating foods containing it; low levels in all foods (highest in shellfish, liver, and kidney meats).
    * Breathing cadmium in cigarette smoke (doubles the average daily intake).
    * Drinking contaminated water.
    * Breathing contaminated air near the burning of fossil fuels or municipal waste.

From ATSDR (Agency for Toxic Substance and Disease Registry)

Cadmium also stays in the body for years so it builds up.

Comment

Interesting that my Doc didnt say anything about cigarette smoke.
      I'm actually a smoker, so that's probably my answer right there.

Did you get this from a website? If so, which one?

I still wouldnt mind finding out about the Meguiars products Cadmium content though...
      I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

I don't know if I'm allowed to post links to other sites, so google ATSDR (it's a .gov website and will usually be the first search result) and search cadmium when you're on their site.

Comment

Thanx Top Down.

I got the info I was after. I'm gonna take it into the Doc next time I see him and ask him wtf???

Comment

Cadmium's a heavy metal, and I would be very surprised if it's in any car detailing products, Meg's or otherwise. I also don't think it's in cigarette smoke. I'm a smoker, too, and have never had that show up in any blood work.

Comment

Hmmm, I wish someone could tell me once and for all !!

If not even the doctor knows, then I dont expect anyone here to know either. But Im still interested to know if it's in any car detailing products.

In Australia, we have a thing called an MSDS sheet (material safety data sheet), Im sure you guys in the US have the same thing, maybe known by a different name.

Over here, the manufacturer of any product is required to provide these. I'll try and chase Meg's Australia for an MSDS. That would have to tell me...

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force
                Hmmm, I wish someone could tell me once and for all !!

Of course it's a holiday here in the U.S., so there's not really anyone I can call or e-mail at work. And while I cannot call anyone at work to get an answer from someone else, I can tell you that no products manufactured by Meguiar's contain cadmium.

Meguiar's does everything they can to make our products as safe as they can be for the job they are formulated to perform.

I'll send the link to this thread to the appropriate person but I'm confident the answer is going to back up what I've posted above and that is no Meguiar's products contain Cadmium.

Do some more research on how most people acquire heath related issues due to Cadmium and then go back to your Doctor armed with this information and discuss further the issue with him.

Best of luck to you.
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I did some poking around the Internet. It appears the cadmium blood levels typically are elevated if you're doing work around metals, particularly brass. . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                    I'll send the link to this thread to the appropriate person but I'm confident the answer is going to back up what I've posted above and that is no Meguiar's products contain Cadmium.
                    Thanks for the info Mike, and I look forward to the appropriate person's response.

miked2, I haven't been exposed to anything like that, so it's really got me stuffed...

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force
                      ...In Australia, we have a thing called an MSDS sheet (material safety data sheet), Im sure you guys in the US have the same thing, maybe known by a different name....
                      Meguiar's Material Safety Data Sheets Online

Comment

Many thanks the other pc.

I'll download all the relevant products which Ive used over the years and have a look...

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');