• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rough feel to the paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough feel to the paint

I was wondering what this would be. I would take a picture of it but you can't really see it but you can feel it. It's like a rough feel to it and it's like a shape of a square. I plan on taking the car to the dealership and having them fix it.

Have you tried claying it with detailing clay?

Historically, taking your car to a dealership to have the paint worked on in any capacity is usually an invitation to maybe having one problem resolved only to incur more problems.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I concur with Mike P. Try claying the car. If it's any sort of contaminant that landed on the paint, it'll go away. If it's a bad paint job, though, that's another thing, although that's very rare with new vehicles.

Comment

I'm thinking rail dust or foundry fallout! Clay bar should do the trick. Dealers are not good at removing rail dust. There is a possibility that they will just try to buff it off with an aggressive compound and a rotary buffer. I would pass on that one.

RamAirV1
        2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
        2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

After 584 posts on this site, chevyman2001 wants to take his car to the dealer????

Comment

STG the car that I had then was a 2001 Cavalier. The car that I have now is a 2006 Cobalt. There is a difference. I just got it on the 23 rd of May.

Last edited by JG_Detailing; May 28, 2006, 03:47 AM.

Comment

The fact that it's new makes rail dust the most likely culprit. My last 4 new cars had rail dust. I would rather the dealers not attempt to remove the rail dust if they don't know how to do it right.

It would be interesting to take a poll of new car detailing people to see how many of them knew about detailing clay. I would bet not many of them do. We're not talking about body shop personnel BTW. New car detailing is normally done by a different department.

RamAirV1
              2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

I know that people don't trust dealership's when it come's to repairing defect's in the paint. I wasn't sure enough in myself to fix the problem on the car. But the funny thing is my girlfriend asked me if I wanted her to get the detail clay from the auto part store. I said yes. I tried and it worked great. The rough feeling is gone. Thank you for your feed back on this topic.

Last edited by JG_Detailing; May 28, 2006, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Unfortunately, one would think that a new car / new paint should be free of dust, rail dust, etc. Unfortunately, never is.
                  2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Try the clay first.

It'll take a week from the east coast but I'll even send you a free piece of clay if you need it, just to keep the dealer away from it.

The dealers solution will be to wetsand the spot..or grab a wool pad and swirl it out.

Comment

does it look like this?
                      Patrick Yu
                      2003 Honda Accord
                      2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Originally posted by Five Star
                        Try the clay first.

It'll take a week from the east coast but I'll even send you a free piece of clay if you need it, just to keep the dealer away from it.

The dealers solution will be to wetsand the spot..or grab a wool pad and swirl it out.
                        This is why MOL members are afraid of taking their ride to the dealer!

RamAirV1
                        2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Originally posted by sneek
                          does it look like this?
                          No it doesn't look like that. I got some clay and it did remove it.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');