• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pad Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pad Question

on the web site they show misting the pads,

Comment

I wash my hands and dampen the pad with my slightly wet hand a bit. I don't mist it with a sprayer or so. I feel it's easier to start apply the wax evenly. If I don't damp it. It is difficult to apply evenly at 1st, until the whole pad soak up some waxes.

Comment

my question is pad related...how do you store the pads when you are done with them?

like in a sandwich bag...in a cabinet self...etc

Comment

Originally posted by ebevo View Post
          my question is pad related...how do you store the pads when you are done with them?

I store them in their original package with the end open.... I have a friend that had a mold problem when he sealed the bags.
          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Originally posted by ebevo View Post

You can store them in a sandwich bag, but make sure you put some air hole in there. If you don't, they might start to mildew due to the moisture. I just use the existing bags they came in. I use a pair of scissors to open the original packages on the top seam. I do that so there is plenty of room to overlap over the pad to give it some kind of seal. I keep the pads in a Meguiar's duffle with my waxes and polishes.
            2016 Focus ST

Comment

Originally posted by RDVT4ME View Post
              I always mist them to make sure I don't put any scratches in the paint. I think you may have a problem if you don't.
              Got agree you with that one!

Comment

Originally posted by gb387 View Post
                I store them in their original package with the end open.... I have a friend that had a mold problem when he sealed the bags.
                Wow, good thing I read this, or I would have sealed mine when I got it.
                How about after using the pads? Do you wash them? If so, how?

Comment

Originally posted by Boba View Post
                  Wow, good thing I read this, or I would have sealed mine when I got it.
                  How about after using the pads? Do you wash them? If so, how?
                  If you have our new washable pads you throw them in the washing machine.

Washable 7" Soft Buff 2.0 Foam Pads

If you have anything else there's a thread about cleaning pads, maybe two in the Hot Topics forum.

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

so is it ok to take some new ultimate detail spray and spray the new 2.0 pad (polishing and finishing) with a couple sprays b4 using them for the first time??? or should i use use them with whatever product im using

Comment

i usually mist #34 on my pad for cleaners, polishes,compounds, but not for wax.
                      Nick
                      Tucker's Detailing Services
                      815-954-0773
                      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

i use a pad conditioning spray (Pinnacle xmt polishing pad conditioner) for any type of correcting work. For wax or sealants i do not premist
                        2008 Toyota Corolla 5-spd
                        2005 Honda CRF250R
                        2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Comment

For me, if I am using the DAT products I do premist because I find that it gives me a bit longer working time (as someone else mentioned #83 tends to dry up quickly). I just prime the pad with product with the SMAT polishes.

Comment

How about "pad cleaning"?
                            What techniques do folks use?

Comment

Priming / Seasoning Pads

If the pad is not kept clean (especially when using a water spritz), the abrasives and paint residue tend to pack (clumping) onto the surface of the pad or into the membrane structure, and stay there. The main reason for this is typically, a lack of centrifugal motion, because there is less high speed rotation of the pad, so the residues tend to stay where they are compared to using the same setup with a rotary.

Using distilled water or 1:1 distilled water / Meguiar's® Last Touch Detail Spray keep the working surface area wet by misting the surface. This small amount of added moisture will wet the wool pad and help by loosening a majority of the abrasive from the fibres. The centrifugal inertia created by the machine would help to return the abrasive to the paint surface.

Using a spritz of water to increase the abrasive ability of a pad / polish combination with the rotary, it’s not generally recommend implementing it with the random orbital.

Most quick detailer or a pad conditioner are usually formulated with silicones, oils, waxes, polymers, gloss enhancers, which will negatively affect the polish lubrication (an exception is Meguiar's® Last Touch Detail Spray diluted 1:1 distilled water) Be cautious as spraying excess water can cause the foam pads to aquaplane. As water (or a water - oil emulsion) for all intents and purposes is incompressible, so that the pad and the abrasive don’t have actual surface contact, thereby negatively impacting the abrasive abilities of the polishing process, unless this water is displaced from the surface and the pad via centrifugal force.

Adding water reduces lubrication by displacing some of the lubricating oils. Very similar result are obtained when your wet-sanding; the more surface water the less the abrasive the finishing paper becomes

An extract from “Polishing Paint (Surface Correction / Renovation”, one of a series of 120 unbiased technical papers “The Science of Detailing”, a library of educational materials that has become the #1 reference for car care on the Internet

Chances are you'll learn something about detailing if you read any of these; although these articles will not improve your detailing skills, lead to a successful business or change your life. Applying what you learn from it, however, will. That's where your commitment comes in - you need to make a commitment to yourself right now that you will take action on what you learn.

TOGWT ™ Ltd (Established 1980) © Copyright 2002-2010, all rights reserved
                              ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

So I voted and then realized this poll is completely useless because there is no option for "no, I don't prime my pad" ha ha.

I use a quick detailer to prime my pads.
                                Shawn - Final Touch Auto Detail
                                Houston Area Mobile Detailing
                                www.FinalTouchAutoDetail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');