• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arguments vs. Zaino

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arguments vs. Zaino

Well, I have 2 fbodies and I love Meguiars products. They are the right price, work well, and are readily availible for me at most stores. I like NXT and gold class stuff.

Full detail: NXT wash, clay, step 1, step2, 2 coats NXT and then just maintain as needed. My cars look great as you can see here.

I was wondering, can anyone give me some ammo to use vs. Zaino. I know it isn't a bad system but some of my friends are hardcore Zaino users and I prefer meguiars still. They don't badmouth it but always try to get me to convert. What can I say to them to counter these annoyances?

http://www.cardomain.com/id/phenomic

Your cars look great. The products you’re using now work great, are easy to use, are reasonably priced and are easily available. Seems like reason enough to stick with Meguiar’s.

If your friends keep pestering you and are rational, you can always ask them to demonstrate, not just talk about, how their way is both better and better enough to justify the hassles. (The key is for them to go through the trouble and expense to demonstrate it. If they actually go to the trouble of trying they’re more likely to come around to your way.)

If their enthusiasm leans more toward the “religious” flavor it’s usually best to just avoid the topic.

PC.

Comment

Have your buddys GIVE you the neccessary Zaino products and tell them you'll use them on one F-body. Have them guess which is Zaino and which is Meguiar's.

By the way, I stopped being interested in Zaino when I read on their website that they recommed using dishwashing soap to remove old wax! (Sounds like a cult ritual, doesn't it? We must clense your paint of foriegn waxes before allowing the sacred Zaino to be applied to your formally unworthly car.)

P.S.: If you size your pictures to 700 pixels in width, the rest of use don't have to scroll h-o-r-i-z-o-n-t-i-a-l-l-y to read your post!

700 pixels:

Last edited by STG; May 27, 2006, 04:55 PM.

Comment

All they really have to do is look at your cars!

Now I have never used Zaino but point them over to this web site. Have them look over the galleries the proof is in the pictures anything from "Extreme Makeovers" to the everyday details.

Here is photo to start with(#21):
        Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
        Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Zaino and Meguiars are excellent products. I've used both and have had great results. Just ask Mike Phillips. He's seen my vette when I used Zaino. Now I use Meguiars for a number of reasons and the vette looks great.

Bottom line, use what you like and don't sweat what the other guys say. If you're happy with your results (and your cars look excellent!), then you are using the right product.
          -Bob
          NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

Alright thx for the tips guys. Ive seen Zaino on cars and it does look great, but then again, my cars look just as great if not better. I really don't see anything spectacular about cars that use Zaino that sets it apart from other waxes.
            http://www.cardomain.com/id/phenomic

Comment

if I were you I wouldn't care. maybe point out imperfections in their car, and what meguiar's products would fix them. and just say you're getting the results you want with the products you use.

Comment

It's hard to convince Zainoheads. Zaino is a good product. My beef with it is (1) the incredibly detailed prep process that has to be followed religiously; and, (2) it's relative expense (and inability to be bought just OTC).

Even if you show people cars that were not done with Zaino that look as good as better as Zaino'ed cars, you're not going to convince these folks. Zaino has done an incredibly good job at marketing, where people are buying into a movement as much as they are a product. Similar to some hard-core Apple folks, for instance. It doesn't matter what you say, or what you show them, they're not going to be convinced.

Comment

Not usualy worth arguing... I mean, the stuff tends to work and protects ok, just expensive. Not really worth the effort.
                  2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Zaino = Say No

Comment

My review should be pretty non biased:

I use alot of the meguiars detailer products, but dont use any of meguiars polishes, and the only LSP's i use are #66, #21, and used to have some nxt.

Ok so I was given some zaino to try this winter, The short version of it, is that It does take quite a bit of time to apply the product. It takes about a weekend of work, and thats after polishing!! So you must apply 3 coats, with the aditive, and then another 3 coats, and then use the Detail spray and spray sealants etc. I was done applying the whole shebang, and was not blown away at all. I was rather disapointed. My take is that Zaino looks good on mettalics the best. The durability blows away pretty much anything though.

Now I can get the zaino look IMHO with one coat of #21 rather than 6+ coats of the Z. I use #21 quite a bit on clients vehicles, and it has never let me down. It doesnt have the zaino durability but I have gotten 3 months from #21.

So if your happy with the Z, then stick with it. Maybe you and your buddies shoudl trade products some weekend and see what you think. Its worth a shot, but I dont think you will be to blown away with the Z.

Greg
                      Pinnacle Detailing

Comment

How much longer did it take to apply Zaino vs. regular products?

If it takes 3 times as much effort, I better get 3 times the durability. But even if I did, I'd rather detail my car three times!

Comment

I'm a recovered 'Zaino Zombie' myself. Without Zaino, I might not have gotten into serious detailing. They make good products, but they are expensive, and don't do anything that other products don't do. However, they have great marketing and have managed to convince thousands of people on car forums that really don't know a whole lot about detailing that it is the end-all and be-all of car wax. So you end up with all these guys on car forums that have maybe used Turtle Wax once or twice in their lives that read Zaino's site, and suddenly its a miracle product.

Anyways, I really don't mean to bad mouth the product or Sal Zaino, because as I said, its not bad stuff. However, I do the Zainoheads get pretty crazy sometimes, and I do agree you're buying into a 'movement' or 'faith' as much as you a car wax.

I do have a couple big problems with the Zaino thing, though...
                          1) Use Dawn dish soap to remove wax-- Come on, no serious detailer actually does this. Even Dawn says not to use it on paint. Its meant for a completely different purpose. If you want to remove the wax, your clay bar should be just fine, and here's an idea... how about prepping the car beyond just using clay, rather than just hoping your 10 coats of Z5 will hide all the swirls.
                          2) Zaino's staunch anti-microfiber stance. Telling people to buy made in the USA 100% cotton towels may have been good advice in 1986, but this is the 21st century, and most serious detailers I know have embraced microfiber towels as being equivalent if not superior to cotton.

Again, I don't want to trash the company, its just those couple things always bothered me.
                          Last edited by kpagel; May 28, 2006, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Ah, it's just hotdogs vs. hamburgers. I couldn't care less what others use or what they think about the stuff *I* choose to use.

If somebody's unhappy with their current regimen/results that's one thing (and I'd be happy to recommend something), but if they're satisfied, then who's to say they oughta try something else?
                            Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Originally posted by gregcavi
                              The durability blows away pretty much anything though.
                              Greg
                              Even #21 topped with #16.....I'm currently trying that combo, and so far I'm VERY pleased!

Alex
                              Mandarina Racing

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');