• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting $1300, should I get an extractor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting $1300, should I get an extractor?

OK, here's my situation. I've been detailing for a couple years now. I am proficient with both PC and rotary and IMO do a pretty darn good job. I mainly do family cars, as well as my own, and do the occasional detail for a friend (one or two a month). This summer I'd like to step it up, and I'd like to get to the point where I'm detailing three or more cars a week. When I mention to people that this is what I do, people are usually more interested in getting their interiors "really" clean. This has lead me to start looking into an extractor. Now, I've got a refund check from the local Toyota dealership because I traded my truck in without even going over the factory warranty, much less the extended 6 year/100,000 mile warranty I bought. I'll be getting around $1300 back. I was thinking of taking that money and buying a good extractor.

The ability to do interiors professionally and efficiently should be a good moneymaker for me if I can get clients. I have a few parents of friends with BMWs, Mercedes, and SUVs that are interested in my services, but I haven't nailed anything down yet. I'm thinking if I can do a few "full" details (exterior prep, polish wax, interior carpet extraction, dressing, etc) at $200+ each it should pay for itself in no time (just a little side note, is a $200 starting price for a full treatment too high, low?). My thought against it is I don't even really have a client base yet, maybe I should just wait until I actually have customers before making such a large purchase.

So what do you guys think? Should I just focus on exteriors, and do some basic interior vacuuming, spot cleaning, and dressing, and then maybe add the extractor later if it becomes necessary? Or should I bite the bullet and be set up right from the start? If it becomes worthwhile, I will try to make it a fulltime thing. I'm a student living at home, and I don't have tuition to pay, so working 15-20 hours at my dad's company and doing a few cars a week should be just fine for my current situation.

BTW, I already have a pressure washer, a good wet/dry vac, a PC and a Makita 9227c, with plenty of pads for each, and I'm well stocked up on chemicals, so there's not really much else I'd need before getting an extractor.

All input is greatly appreciated.

Well, I think I've settled on getting the Mytee Lite II extractor. Seems to be a great product at $799, and I'll have some money left over.

Comment

I heard a steamer is actually more efficient and might help lift stains better than an extractor. then you follow w/ a wet/dry vac. an extractor can leave things a wee bit damp still.
      2001 Vortex Blue New Beetle

Comment

Originally posted by Paulvr4
        I heard a steamer is actually more efficient and might help lift stains better than an extractor. then you follow w/ a wet/dry vac. an extractor can leave things a wee bit damp still.
        I researched the whole steamer vs. extractor thing, and I think the extractor is the tool for me. From what I've seen the steamer doesn't even come close to an extractor for deep cleaning carpets. Its good for doing heavy stains, but not for an entire carpet.

Comment

A steamer is a better "all purpose" tool, but the extractor is THE tool for carpets. I think you made a good choice.
          I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

Originally posted by gbackus
            A steamer is a better "all purpose" tool, but the extractor is THE tool for carpets. I think you made a good choice.
            Yeah, thats what I've seen. I can't wait to get the extractor!

Comment

I just got a refurbished Thermax CP-3 last weekend. $460 with new handheld and carpet cleaning wands and a tub of extractor powder. He is on ebay, just search for thermax. He is in Independence, MO.

I was looking at Mytee lites, but the thermax had a bit better vacuum lift and was $250+ cheaper.

Initial tests with it were pretty positive. It doesn't heat the water as quickly as I had hoped, but I just need to fill it and let it sit while doing something else.

With the handheld wand, it leaves carpets slightly damp, but dry in 1/2 hour or so without fan or very quickly with a fan.

I was using a hoover steamvac before and this is a large step up from it.
              I got nothing

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');