• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

I have a little trouble with "using the least aggressive product to get the job done". The more perfectionistic I have become about getting rid of swirls and scratches, the more I have come to believe to that almost always #83 with a pc set at 5 IS the least aggressive approach to getting rid of swirls and scratches.

I find that #9 and #82 just won't get the job done on my black toys. So why waste the time.

Tom

Learned that today also. Waited for ups to deliver #82. Wasn't to pleased with #82 alone. #83 seemed to cut just fine though without leaving behind any damage.

Comment

Hey Tom,

Well the problem is, not all paint reacts the same. If the paint is very hard, it may need #83 DACP. But if the paint is soft, you may get a fair amount of hazing from the #83. In that case, the #82 or #9 may have been the right product. So, I would rather start with the least aggressive in case the paint is soft and work my way to more aggressive as needed. Moreover, after the marring has been removed, you may not need anything any stronger than #82 for maintenance. Plus, just to add, I really love the depth #82 adds to darker paints! It is a step I will not miss.

I just worked some scratches out of guy's car door that required #84 Compound Power Cleaner, W-7006 Cutting pad and a rotary buffer! The PC and the #83 could not remove the marks. In this case, I found some really HARD paint!

Tim
      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

2hotford,

True Enough!

I detailed a 99 Honda CRV today (black) and started with #9 but then had to switch to #83 to get the swirls out! I used the PC with polishing pad on speed 5!

None the less, the hood look very flat and hazy after the #83, so I laid on some #7 and that brought it back to life! I might have been at error here for working the product a little longer than needed, but I just HAD to get them out...lol

I did the rest of the vehicle with #9 and just worked it a little longer and that did the trick!

Topped it all off with NXT and it looked great! I should have done #7 all over..the hood was marginally shinier...lol

99% of the time, I have zero problems with #83 on a black vehicle!
        My Dad said once..."Son...you can never do enough for a good customer!" I Said "Don't worry Dad...I won't"!

Hehehehe

Comment

Tim and others,

I only work on two trucks and two motorcycles. (Oops I almost forgot the John Deere and boat.) Because I "know" my toys and "know" their scratches I am pretty sure of when to go with #83.

On the first detail of my black Dodge, I learned that just a polish would not get rid of the marring and scratches. That's when I realized that on this particular vehicle if I could see the swirls it would ultimately require #83 to get them out. My first experience with NXT was not good because I expected it to hide/remove swirls. It didn't work.

I am much more careful about mainitaining the finish of my vehcles than I used to be. Thanks to you guys I know what it takes. Using a the products you have recommended makes it pretty easy to keep from marring and scratching the finish.

However, when the Hemi goes off-road, I can plan on getting out the DACP

Tom

Comment

Just to chime in,

In a lot of cases, #83 will be necessary to level the paint and remove the defects. Experience is a good teacher and the more you work with the Professional line, the better you are at making judgment calls as to where to start out when attempting to correct surface defects.

Last summer I worked on a blue Porsche for a customer. I couldn't believe how soft his single-stage paint was.

If I had not first performed a couple of Test Spots with different chemicals, I could have easily made a mistake. My first test spot with the PC and #82 removed paint so quickly I knew the paint was soft and treated it accordingly.

This by the way was finished using Lab Sample D as Tech Wax was still months away.

Mike
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for the chime in!

Yes...today I learned something new, and that's a great thing!

My Dad said once..."Son...you can never do enough for a good customer!" I Said "Don't worry Dad...I won't"!

Hehehehe

Comment

Mike, How can you tell if a paint is hard or soft. I have a Black Mercedes Benz E320 that I am working on bring back from swirl & scratch marks.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');