• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surface comes out streaky and oily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just detailed a dark blue BMW M5,prep was wash with NXT,clay, mppc, 2 coats #21 followed by nxt paste,no streaking issues,no blotches and no 'grease' like film.never heard of an incompatability issue between meguiars products,in the 15 years that i have been using them.

Comment

• Good news!! i finally manage to apply NXT without making the surface streaky and oily. Here is what I did today:

1. NXT Wash
      2. Clay bar
      3. DC Cleaner
      4. Polish using #7
      5. NXT Wax
      6. Follow by NXT Speed Detailer

I guess proper preparation of the surface does pay off afterall.

Also, if you found that the NXT Wax leaves streaky mark, try to apply a coat of NXT SD, it will get rid of it - it works for me!

Comment

• Thats cool you found somethign that works! However, I SHOULDN'T have to add steps after I'm done waxing. Its just a wax, and there are others on the market that do a similar job with far less work.
        Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

• Aside from adding the Speed Detailer...which I have tried and sometimes works and sometimes doesn't....I wonder if you will have the same results the next time you follow the same steps?

I work the same way every time. Different products yes...but the same system. I have had it occur and not occur while following this system, the only difference being the vehicle.

Comment

• Experiencing the same problem as others (see my previous posts) having my suburban, black in color, looking like a cloud on 4 wheels I decided to use Meguiar's DC polish to see if I could rectify this problem. After using the DC polish by machine I then applied Meguiar's DC carnuba wax by hand and removed it by machine. Four wash and wax jobs (within a 10 day period) later the results were great, no clouds, no haze, no streaks and no oily look. All I can say is that the properties in the NXT wax and NXT speed detailer are effected by the sun/heat. I never had this problem when NXT was used during the fall, winter and spring months.

I still can't believe there hasn't been a response regarding this issue from any Meguiar's representatives.
            http://www.californiaspecial.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=27

Comment

• Unfortunately, i've experienced the streaking problem myself (Black single coat gloss car) and posted previously (about 12months ago). Put it down to applying too much or not allowing to dry sufficiently. Prep was fine, wash, clay, #7 or DC2 but best solution i have found is the same as technic, a light spray of QD after 'removal' of NXT. OR Using a Megs MF Bonnet over the Cutting Pad on the G100 - that also does the trick.

I have heard of some spraying with QD prior to removal of NXT and then wiping clear - but not tried this myself.

Only have the problem on horizontal surfaces, vertical great no probs at all or perhaps i just cant see them

Rob
              Last edited by Rob66; Jun 27, 2006, 10:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CJ from Rocklin, CA

I still can't believe there hasn't been a response regarding this issue from any Meguiar's representatives.
                I'll see if I can get some response.
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

• Originally posted by Technik
                  [B]Good news!! i finally manage to apply NXT without making the surface streaky and oily. Here is what I did today:

1. NXT Wash
                  2. Clay bar
                  3. DC Cleaner
                  4. Polish using #7
                  5. NXT Wax
                  6. Follow by NXT Speed Detailer

I guess proper preparation of the surface does pay off afterall.

Also, if you found that the NXT Wax leaves streaky mark, try to apply a coat of NXT SD, it will get rid of it - it works for me!

You're supposed to wait for the NXT (or other sealant) to cure before using a QD. That can take 12-24 hours. If you don't wait that can disrupt the polymers and affect durability. I was able to remove the streaks left by #21 by using the Speed Detailer 24 hours later. That hasn't worked for everyone though.

The pics you posted look great though, so maybe you can use the Speed Detailer that soon.

RamAirV1
                  Last edited by RamAirV1; Jun 27, 2006, 01:34 PM.
                  2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                  2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

• Thanks Mike, we are all anxiously waiting
                    Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

• Originally posted by RamAirV1
                      You're supposed to wait for the NXT (or other sealant) to cure before using a QD. That can take 12-24 hours. If you don't wait that can disrupt the polymers and affect durability. I was able to remove the streaks left by #21 by using the Speed Detailer 24 hours later. That hasn't worked for everyone though.

The pics you posted look great though, so maybe you can use the Speed Detailer that soon.

RamAirV1
                      I was too anxious to get rid of the streaks, hence did not bother to wait for 24 hrs before applying NXT SD. Anyway I was impressed with the end result - it does a brilliant job!

In any case, I will apply a second coat of NXT Wax tonight to make sure the wax are properly adhered to the surface.

Cheers
                      Last edited by technik; Jun 28, 2006, 12:18 AM.

Comment

• Ive used my #21 once (12oz sample bought from ADS).. and it was on a test panel on my wifes Civic with really bad paint. After a few days the finish was blotchy... I thought it was because the paint I was applying to was extremely beaten and oxidized, although I prepped it perfectly. Now Im wondering if it truely was the paint. I wonder if it was the #21.

For what its worth... this thread hindered me from buying a 64oz #21 from ADS yesterday. Hopefully we can get this one sorted out.
                        ----------02' 35th Anv. Limited Edition SS----------
                        561rwhp/541rwtq, M6, T-Tops, SLP option car, 1 of 1,037.
                        --| TUNED BY FORCEFED PERFORMANCE | Mods: Boost.
                        --

Comment

• First thank you everyone for your patience with this issue, below is a response I have been supplied with to post to this thread to address this issue.

• #####################

Anyone in this thread who has purchased our M21 and is experiencing any type of performance problem with the product, we would like you to contact the distributor where you purchased the product or Meguiar’s directly for a replacement. Sometime ago, an inconsistent batch of the M21 was shipped through distribution and into the retail market. As soon as we were aware of the problem steps were taken to correct the problem and remove the product from the market. It’s possible some of this product did in fact get shipped and we think this could be the problem that some of you are experiencing either with separation or unevenness in appearance after wipe-off.

We thank you for your patience with this matter as well as bringing this to our attention.

Sincerely,

Meguiar’s Management

#####################

Meguiar's stands behind their products 100% -Mike
                          Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

• Is there a product code on the bottles of bad product so we can tell if we have some of the bad batch?

Comment

• Mike; I believe there are two problems that are taking place within this thread. One is with NXT liquid, NXT speed detailer which are showing the same results and the other was with M21 which you already addressed.

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks

CJ
                              http://www.californiaspecial.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=27

Comment

• Originally posted by CJ from Rocklin, CA
                                Mike; I believe there are two problems that are taking place within this thread. One is with NXT liquid, NXT speed detailer which are showing the same results and the other was with M21 which you already addressed.

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks

CJ

Hi CJ,

As far as I know, there are no formula issues with either NXT Tech Wax, (Liquid or Paste), or NXT Speed Detailer. I have sent an e-mail regarding these three products but if I don't hear anything back then there are no formula issues.

As far as using these products, best result from any wax or paint sealant is to allow the last application of product to completely set-up after removing any product reside for a window of time between anywhere from 12 to 24 hours before you start wiping it with a quick detailer or washing it with soap and water.

There are a number of factors that can influence your results in appearance after wiping-off any polish, wax or quick detailer type product, some of those have to do with the material you're wiping with and sometimes it has to do with the way in which you wipe. Other factors do include proper surface prep as well as proper application of the product as well as not underusing or over using the product.

We do our best to make all of our products as user friendly as possible but we cannot control each fact that determines a single user's results.

One thing that might help with some of the issues brought up in this thread is to make sure when you're doing your final wiping of a panel is to always use your best, softest clean microfiber polishing cloth or a clean, 100% cotton terry cloth towel and use slow, gentle wiping motions to remove any trace amounts of product as outlined here,

Final Wiping Techniques

Final Wiping Techniques
                                One mention about your final wiping technique. (Not initial removal of product, but after the most of a product has been removed and now you're just giving the finish a final wipe).

Often times I witness people wiping the wax off their car, or giving their car's paint a final wipe using fast, spastic wiping motions. Instead, try this, take your wiping cloth, whether microfiber or cotton, be sure it is large enough to fold it 4 ways to give you plenty of cushion to distribute your hand/finger pressure more evenly over the surface of the side of the cloth in contact with the paint, and then wipe the finish slooooowly, not quickly like you're trying to put a fire out.

Wipe the finish slowly. Give the substance on the surface enough time to transfer to the fibers of the wiping cloth. Think about it... if you move your wiping cloth quickly over the surface, you're only allowing nano-seconds for any minute wax/polymer residue to transfer from the paint to the cloth, if you slow down the rate of travel of the cloth over the finish, you improve the chance for whatever it is you're trying to remove to successfully transfer to the fibers of your wiping cloth.

If you follow all of the above, always using clean, dedicated applicator pads to apply your products, then removing them using clean wiping cloths, your finish should look clear, gloss, rich in color.
                                Mike Phillips
                                760-515-0444
                                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');