• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What works best on faded black plastic mirrors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What works best on faded black plastic mirrors

Will plastix on polishing pad & a DA work to clean up black plastic mirrors. They are also etched with the bugs. Have used #83 & a DA seemed to work the best for me. Plastix won't touch it by hand. Just wondering how anyone else does it. It degrades a detail if they still look nasty.

Don't use PlastX, try Gold Class Trim Dressing and keep in mind the this type of material fades and turns ugly without maintenance, if you spruce them up but the owner of the car doesn't maintain them, they will turn ugly again.

They turned ugly the first time because they were not maintained, and it's likely the owner will not maintain them if they never did in the past.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Ok on GC trim dressing, will give that a try. Although I have used #40 let it soak while working on interior then buffed off with MF towel later, and looked better, but faded quickly.
      How is the GC dressing different then #40?

Comment

Originally posted by foxhound58
        Ok on GC trim dressing, will give that a try. Although I have used #40 let it soak while working on interior then buffed off with MF towel later, and looked better, but faded quickly.
        How is the GC dressing different then #40?
        I'm not sure what the technical differences are, but I've used both. I had the same problem you are talking about (needing to re-apply #40). Then I gave Trim Detail a shot, and it does last for weeks! Give it a shot..
        Never argue with an Idiot.. They'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience..

Comment

I'm only guessing, but I think #40 is more for vinal & GC for plastic. There is another area in between the doors. It has a flat black finish. Don't know what that stuff is, but it's tough to make it look good again. Not positive, but think it may some kind of plastic covered or painted aluminum. It lookes like it is oxidized & nothing will help it either. Think I'll try the GC their also.
          Thanks, Fox

Comment

Wont hurt to try... nothing in the Trim Detailer will damage anything. You might have an easier time applying the bottle version, if you can find it, and not the aerosol version of the trim detailer

Gold Class Trim Detailer

2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
              Don't use PlastX, try Gold Class Trim Dressing and keep in mind the this type of material fades and turns ugly without maintenance, if you spruce them up but the owner of the car doesn't maintain them, they will turn ugly again.

They turned ugly the first time because they were not maintained, and it's likely the owner will not maintain them if they never did in the past.
              So I'm better off not using it for un-painted grey(originally very dark grey, almost black) bumpers? as it will turn ugly?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips

I don't think that's a good idea, because what I THINK he is talking about, is that smooth, shiny, low density plastic that makes up the mirrors on my 96 GMC truck. It's also the same type of plastic found on the mirrors on many chrysler cars, such as the sebring. It would probably be a good idea if he could tell us what kind of car and plastic we are dealing with.
                I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

It is a 97 chevy Z 71. They are almost like fiber glass. Was even considering the fiber glass boat stuff, before I found the forum.
                  Next one I get in, I think I'll try Mike's suggeston on the GC trim dressing. Live in a small town & you see it going down the road latter on, with those nasty looking mirrors, but everything else looking good is degrading to my detail.
                  Also same problem with the flat black material in between the windows on the door panel. Also GM product. Seen them also on olds, and pontiac models. I think this stuff is metal, and painted to look like or match the trim.
                  Thanks, Fox

Comment

Originally posted by foxhound58
                    Next one I get in, I think I'll try Mike's suggeston on the GC trim dressing.
                    Dressing this time of trim will only accelerate any damage already on there, ask me how I know. Best thing to do with it is to buff it with a mild polish, and use a paint sealant to protect it. There is a service bulletin out there by Chrysler for these types of trim, and although the products they recomend is different, the procedure is essential the same.

George
                    I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

You know I did try #7 followed with #26 one time. That was my own vehicle though. Misted them with final inspection #34 after washing every time, which kept them looking good.
                      Maybe a different sealant would be good. Say #21 or #20. Would be better for customer that dosen't go to that extreme. They will just usally wash & at most towel it dry.
                      Thanks for the info, Fox

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');