• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Take Care with the LS1's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take Care with the LS1's

Just a reminder, take care when detailing under the hood of 98 and up LS1 based GM cars and trucks. I just spend a day taking the Intake off my truck to replace the Bank 2 knock sensor. The design of the LS1 allows it to collect water in the rear sensor. When I finally dug down to the sensor I found the well full of water and safe-d-greaser.

Truck looks good under hood but it came at a price.
    Alan Minga
    86 T-Type The white car.

Been there, done that..

Did yours look like this?

My car started acting funny and lost 5-6mph in the quarter mile. After using a TechII to log some street driving we determined it was the knock sensor.

Did you use any silicone type sealant to reinstall the rubber covers? It eliminates the chance of water getting in there again.
    ----------02' 35th Anv. Limited Edition SS----------
    561rwhp/541rwtq, M6, T-Tops, SLP option car, 1 of 1,037.
    --| TUNED BY FORCEFED PERFORMANCE | Mods: Boost.
    --

Comment

Thanks for the heads up! That's why I was always leery of rinsing with a stream of water or pressure washing anything under the hood.

Would the same limitation apply to the LS2?

RamAirV1
      2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
      2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

If the LS2 has the sensors in the same location then I would guess it would be the same. I cant remember if it was the LS2 or LS7 where the knock sensors were relocated to the side of the block.

From the factory GM puts the rubber covers on the top of the recessed hole the sensors sit in... thing is they arent sealed... they just pop on and off. Almost as if they were designed only to keep dust/dirt out but never meant to seal from water or moisture.

Intake manifolds are really easy to R&R... if you havent sealed yours yet I would recommend doing so. Then you can hose your motor down and not worry about it.
        ----------02' 35th Anv. Limited Edition SS----------
        561rwhp/541rwtq, M6, T-Tops, SLP option car, 1 of 1,037.
        --| TUNED BY FORCEFED PERFORMANCE | Mods: Boost.
        --

Comment

Originally posted by 35th Anniversary SS
          Been there, done that..

Did yours look like this?

Did you use any silicone type sealant to reinstall the rubber covers? It eliminates the chance of water getting in there again.
          Nope, Not quite that bad but it only sat underwater for about a week.

Actually I used GM's recommended modifications. I removed the Foam strips at the front and back of the manifold to increase airflow and made a C shaped dam out of RTV to channel water away from the rear sensor open to the rear of the block.

I'd be leary about sealing the rubber plugs up since you increase the chance of condensation.
          Alan Minga
          86 T-Type The white car.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');