• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#7 Show Car Glaze and Deep Crystal Step2 Pure Polish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys, is DC1 only for very very light swirls n such? I was thinking of maybe applying ScratchX first, and then DC1, but maybe that's a bit of an overkill? Is it? Also, do I have to work in DC1 like I have to work in ScratchX? And how long do I let it sit/apply?

Comment

You don't have to work in DC1 like you do ScratchX -- and if you have an orbital buffer, you can use that for DC1.

I would suggest using DC1 over the entire car. For any areas where there are swirls/scratches remaining, then use ScratchX just on those spots.

Doing ScratchX properly requires many applications and a lot of elbow grease -- and thus is really difficult to do for the entire car!

Comment

Originally posted by miked2
        You don't have to work in DC1 like you do ScratchX -- and if you have an orbital buffer, you can use that for DC1.

I would suggest using DC1 over the entire car. For any areas where there are swirls/scratches remaining, then use ScratchX just on those spots.

Doing ScratchX properly requires many applications and a lot of elbow grease -- and thus is really difficult to do for the entire car!
        True, but I would apply the DC1 first right?

Comment

Originally posted by rudemood12
          i just put on some #7 tonight for the first time and i did 3 passes in an attempt to remove it. this was, however, a recommendation by mr. phillips in an old autotopia post he had made - specifcally about applying/removing #7. i found it quite enlightening.
          what does 3 passes mean? 3 wipes with a towel?

SL1CK,
          IMO, DC1 couldn't remove my swirls, it's just to remove dust and dirt which washing couldn't remove, I DC1 the whole car, the swirls are still there, I would go for scratchX.

DC1 does/should NOT need to wait before removing, I wipe it off immediately, or else, you'll have ur biceps aching trying to remove it later.

Comment

DC1 removed swirls for me . . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by miked2
              DC1 removed swirls for me . . . . .
              I know DC1 removes SOME swirls, so my next question is, how severe were they? I'm guessing there were very few and they were very light?

Comment

Probably, maybe it did removed some from mine, but was not noticeable(white paint) the heavy swirls were still there.

Just purchased #7, trying it out tomorrow. what colour is it supposed to be?
                Mine is olive green, is it expired?

Comment

fishbonezken- It's fine. Even if they've come out with a slightly different looking version and yours is a little old, it's still good to use. The #7 I have is the same color as yours. And I've used some *very* old #7 that worked fine.

And yeah, those are the only two pure polishes places stock in *my* area too. Too bad, they used to have all of them (I kinda like #5 myself due to its extreme ease-of-use). You might check autopaint/body supply shops, they can greatly expand your range of "OTC" products.
                  Practical Perfectionist

Comment

We have a 2004 Saab 9-3 convertible. The finish was in pretty good shape. We had some mechanical problems with the car, and the dealer felt so bad about them that he threw in a professional detail for free. The car looked great for a few weeks, and then after I washed the car, the paint was full of swirls. There were a lot of them, but not that deep. DC1 removed over 90% of them . . . .

Comment

Thanks accumulator,
                      I just used it,

wash
                      clay
                      DC1
                      #7 show car glaze
                      2 thin coats NXT

it looks WET alright, even on a white car

miked2,
                      wow 90%? that is awesome, I can say 0.5% for me, I need scratchX

Thanks for your answers guys, queries are all solved.

Comment

DC1 may remove some very light cobwebbing effect but its not going to be aggressive enough to get at bad swirlings.

DC1 made a small differnace on my black car but I still had some very light swirling.

I would honest;ly suggest finding a Porter Cable 7336 or a sander/buffer in the range on sale ( about $100 ) get a few 8006 pads, 1 9006 pad 1 7006 pad, a MF Bonnet pack and a 64-DA backing plate.

Pick up #83 #80 #7 NXT Liquid Wax

Start witha good wash, then a good Clay Barring of the car

Inspect the finish and decide how bad your scratches are. The really bad ones work out with ScratchX.

Now take the PC and the 8006 pad and some #80 and work a 12x12" area and see if you get rid of your scratchs / swirls. You will want to use about #15 of pressure on speed 5 and slow arm speed, then wipe off with a MD towel. Now reinspect and see if the did the trick. If it made a good sized dent try another round with the #80 and if that fixes it real nice then do the whole car like that. If the #80 didn't then get a new 8006 pad and do the same steps with #83

TO get a nice finish I would follow the 83 with 80, then #7 or DC#2 then NXT with the 9006 pad and remove with MF Bonnet on the 7006 pad.

I will never hand apply wax again, I can do 2 layers of NXT and remove with the MF Bonnet in the time I could lay down and remove about 3/4 of 1 layer.

Now once you have a good finish on the car you can maintain it with spray wax or going over it after a good washing with #7 first on a 8006 pad then the NXT wax as a follow up.

The initial bite hurts a little but the time and ease of use down the road is well worth the $$ up front.

-Robert
                        My Work log for my Magnum R/T Hemi Registry

Comment

Yeah, for me DC1 worked wonders. I did apply with an orbital buffer, and I don't think that the swirlies were that deep . . . .

Comment

heyya fish
                            ive been detailing for the past 2 years. megs are the only good OTC products here in malaysia, and u can only get them at very few places =)

ive used the DC 1 to 3 but later on added on few more to the system. i have a nighthawk black car so its more difficult to maintain.

DC1 is fine for a start. i am using #7 and it looks good on a black car. but you will need to apply in very thin layers if by hand. U can replace DC3 with the yellow tech wax or the NXT.

#7 gives you better gloss effect over the DC2

but, i have chosen the #20 polymer sealant and top up with a carnauba wax. with the weather here, using the DC 1 to 3 will not last you over 2 weeks, especially if it rains in between.

you can also use scratchX after DC1 if you have swirls.

cheers!

Originally posted by fishbonezken
                            Accumulator,
                            thanks for the tip!...maybe I should look for #3, the retail shops in my area are only selling Deep Crystal #2 and #7. That's what limiting my choice.

foxhound58,
                            lol, no wonder you needed 20 towels.

Comment

hey ivolusion,
                              thanks for the tips. yes the weather here really...S***ks...it's been raining for the past 6 days.
                              The product that i was looking for was actually ColorX, which is A M A Z I N G !!....beats DC1 flat!.

where do you buy your meg's stuff? I can't seem to find a place that sells most of their things, like from the Detailer line.

Comment

For the almost full range of products, get them from Hypercoat in USJ 1. Consumer line, professional line as well as the detailer line can be found there.

I'm planning to get additional stuff from the Detailer line as well.. Last Touch & All Purpose Cleaner.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');