• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

leather care - how often to condition???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by supercharged
    I checked with him today, and it appeared that he was using Lexol Cleaner and Lexol Neatsfoot leather dressing. . He should of been using conditioner, but he did not. . I looked at it myself today, a very small crack in a place where leather is least likely to crack ( must of been a knife damage or something), but his leather defenetely felt like it needed conditioner.
    I use Lexol cleaner and conditoner and don't see any problem with them. I reada lot of good report for Lexol lether products, I am surprised that people here seems to don't like Lexol. This is a product which is specially in leather and has a logn history, I will still trust them. My 04 Accord has been 1 year old now and the leather still smell good.

Comment

Originally posted by supercharged
      Any updates, Mike?
      No, it got burried in a pile of e-mail and never recovered. I was told someone sent me some informaton, but I never recieved it and then I never followed up.

I'll send an e-mail right now.

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I believe all leather needs to be conditioned, and occasionally cleaned. Leather was a living thing, it dries out over time. I've owned several Volvos with very nice leather seats, and taking care of them is key. If you don't keep them conditioned, the edges of the driver and passenger seats will wear quickly.

CJ, if your neighbor had ever taken the time to look at his Volvo owner's manual, he would see a Volvo part number for Volvo leather conditioner.

Comment

So, what are you guys using for UVR protection?
          I live on the gulf coast...and use Lexol cleaner/conditioner and 303 alternating every two weeks...

Comment

Forum Answer Blank

Quote: I have a 300 SL Gullwing that I have owned since 1973 and used it strictly as a show car. In order to have it properly prepared, part of the regimen was to make certain that the seats were nice and supple and looking "pretty" and I used Lexol. After about 10 years of usage of the Lexol, I noticed that the seat stitching was starting to fray. I called a re-upholsterer who did nothing but autos to look at what I thought to be a minor problem.

His inspection was very quick and to the point. He told me that Lexol was wonderful for the leather but the alcohol in it was destroying the stitching to the point where it was too far gone and the seats would either have to be replaced or re-done. Being the Master that he was he was able to re-stitch both seats and replaced the threads. It was amazing as to how fragile the stitching was; to the point that you could snap it without any effort.

Even though all is fine the price tag to get it repaired was high and the effort to get it done right was more than I would ever want to do again.

There you go, I responded and didn't shed a tear. lkirchner Aug 10 2004

~ One man’s opinion / observations ~

Maintenance: Conditioning- recommend a preventative maintenance routine three to four times a year, once prior to the winter season to prevent cold temperatures cracking the leather, and once before the heat of the summer to prevent deterioration and shrinkage by heat, which result in continued cracking of leather.

In addition to regular cleaning, leather requires replacement of natural oils; Collagen-based products restore the lost moisture and maintain it's natural flexibility. The smell of leather comes from oils evaporating out of the hide.

Schedule: Once every 30-60 days, Arizona, Florida and Texas, especially in summer, for northern climates between 90-120 days, use a leather conditioner to restore these natural oils and keep the leather soft and supple.

~Hope this helps ~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
            justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon
            ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

TOGWT, curse you!!
              what do I use if I can't use Lexol!!!

Comment

Hey,

One of the best leather cleaner/conditioner I have ever used is the new Detailer Series Leather Cleanr & Conditioner ( D-18001). It leaves the leather with a clean, non-greasy and VERY supple feeling!

Tim
                Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Quote: TOGWT, curse you!! what do I use if I can't use Lexol!!!

~ One man’s opinion / observations ~

And all I tried to do was help! (LOL)
                  ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');