• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Random orbit polishers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random orbit polishers

Hi All,
    I came across some cheap "random orbital car polisher/buffers" on Ebay...some where names I've never heard of, others were made by Turtle Wax and Black and Decker. Are these any good for someone just starting out? I intend on getting the PC later on.
    One says ""2800 random orbits per minute matched with counterweight system simulates “hand polishing” motion for a “swirl-free” finish ""

Thanks,
    TJ

Generally speaking, anytime you machine apply a paint cleaner, polish or wax you will get better results than applying by hand only.

For one thing, a machine never gets tired!

If the price is right, you might as well go for it and give it a try. If you like the results one of these polisher creates, then you're going to love the PC.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I'm a newb to detailing,bought a7inch polisher from Sears and used dc1 dc2 nxt on my truck.Did an ok job,but I took it back and ordered a pc.It should be here Thurs.I will put another coat of nxt on and let you know what I think then.

Comment

Re: Random orbit polishers

Originally posted by TJMAC
        Hi All,
        I came across some cheap "random orbital car polisher/buffers" on Ebay...some where names I've never heard of, others were made by Turtle Wax and Black and Decker. Are these any good for someone just starting out? I intend on getting the PC later on.
        One says ""2800 random orbits per minute matched with counterweight system simulates “hand polishing” motion for a “swirl-free” finish ""

Thanks,
        TJ
        It's better than nothing, but I would save that money spent for the polisher plus shipping and apply it toward a Porter Cable 7424. There's just no comparison. My 2c.
        "I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Re: Re: Random orbit polishers

Originally posted by gman39120
          It's better than nothing, but I would save that money spent for the polisher plus shipping and apply it toward a Porter Cable 7424. There's just no comparison. My 2c.

Mike
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

do these random oribtal cleaner ruin your clear coat finish on your car?
            if you are applying scratch x on it?
            or an abbersive of any nature with it?

Comment

Originally posted by mikes maxima
              I have used my PC countless times and never once damaged the paint. Its only looked better! PC is the only way to go. IMO don't waste your money on a el'cheapo! With the cheap ones the machine moves more than the pad once its set on the paint and I feel I have little to no control over the cheaper ones.

From what I understand scratchx should not be used with a PC... There are many products you have to use with a rotary not a pc. I can't think of anything to abbersive you would be able to use properly with a pc, I am sure someone here can jump in on that one. I do know some meguiars products are designed to break down as you work them, they will clean well then break down and polish out nice.
              Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
              Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

No, the random orbital is pretty darn safe. That's the beauty of ti. It develops almost no friction/heat, and allows the polish to do the work.

Mike is being kind.

He is correct, of course, that any machine is better than 'by hand', but ... Save your money for the PC. Trust me, I went down this road a long time ago. It is worth the wait!

Jim
                If it was easy, everybody'd be doing it!

www.jimmybuffit.com

Comment

Originally posted by mikes maxima
                  If you're going to use an orbital polisher on your car, then I would stick with Meg's consumer line or the Medallion line...I doubt an orbital would have the ability to break down anything with diminishing abrasives...Such as DACP, #80, etc.
                  r. b.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');