• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Properly using a claybar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Properly using a claybar?

How does one claybar a vehicle PROPERLY?

Do I HAVE to wash the car after I claybar & before applying wax & polish or can I just claybar then wax & polish?
    '99 Trans Am
    '99 Grand Prix GTP

if you clean up wth a mf towel as you go , you can avoid re washing

Comment

After claying, I typically go around the vehicle with a QD, rather than rewashing . . . .

Comment

There are a few different techniques you can use. The most basic is to wash and dry the car. Then, go around and clay, panel by panel. Use a MF cloth to remove excess QD from each panel as you go.

You dont need to be super perfect, as the paint cleaner will remove any light streak left behind.

You can swing past bettercarcare.com and do a little search for a How-To on claying. It is perhaps not perfect, but pretty good for some pics, etc.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Another Question

As you clay the car, you're supposed to kneed and reform the clay to expose some clean clay and hide the "gunk" that the clay is picking up. Is there a technique for this? How do you know that you're getting "clean" clay after you reshape it?

Comment

As you clay the car, you're supposed to kneed and reform the clay to expose some clean clay and hide the "gunk" that the clay is picking up. Is there a technique for this? How do you know that you're getting "clean" clay after you reshape it?
            There are probably multiple approaches, but what I do is mound the clay into a ball, roll it between the palms of my hands to make a spaghetti noodle, re-mound it into a ball, and repeat this process a few times. After that, I flatten the ball, and if the flat portion is visibly clean, I continue to clay. If it's not, then I'll try re-mounding a few more times. If it's still not clean after flattening again, I'll pitch that section of the clay.

Comment

First, I like to wear latex gloves when claying so that I don't transfer the oils from my skin to the clay. It also helps keep the clay from sticking to my fingers, making it easier to hold on to when I kneed it.

Second, when I kneed the clay, I simply stretch out the small rectangle that I've already formed the clay to, then fold it in half, so that the dirty section will be to the inside. I continue doing this as I finish each panel.

Keep your eyes and ears open when claying. You can do a great job without marring the paint much at all if you keep your clay clean and kneeded. Listen for the contaminants to be removed as you glide the clay over the surface. Use clean microfibers, and check each section before moving on. You should have a surface that's as smooth as it can be.

I also like using a smaller amount of clay. For example, I tore the clay from Meg's Quik Clay in half. This way, I can make sure that I'll have enough clean clay to finish the vehicle. Also, if I accidentally drop the clay, I'll have some left over.

Comment

Aha, finally found them.

Here’s a recent thread where Mike posted some claying tips:
                http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=13744

Here’s another:
                http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=13560

PC.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');