• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simple Green vs APC...differences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Green vs APC...differences?

I just cleaned some really stained and dirty carpet mats with a 10:1 solution of Simple Green. It's what I had handy and the mats are so old that if it ruined them or didn't work, I wasn't too worried.

I was wondering what the differences between All Purpose Cleaner and a degreaser like Simple Green or Super Degreaser is?

Is APC more like a detergent or liquid soap cleaner? I noticed that the Simple Green didn't foam up at all.

Is APC more appropiate for fibrous materials like carpet or upholstery?

Well, I am pretty sure using Simple Green in my wheelwells turned the plastic from a nice black to a chalky gray. No more Simple Green anywhere near my car.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

IMO you should stick with APC or APC+, I think you are better off using a product manufactured by a car care company (Meguiars APC or APC+) on your vehicle. I would guess APC and APC+ have been tested more extensively in, on and around a vehicle VS Simple Green not manufactured by a car care company, doesn't mean it hasn't been tested but they didn't have just car care in mind when it was developed.

Now if my thoughts are right or not, who know just my opinion.
      Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
      Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Re: Simple Green vs APC...differences?

same here ...simple green is basically not for autos IMO.....

Comment

I have never ever ever ever ever ever had a problem with SG hurting anything on a vehicle. Its what i use to clean rims and wheel wells.

BTW, SG is an APC.

Comment

Dilution rates are critical with SG. I believe they say that diluted 1:64 it can be used on a car. I use it diluted 1:1 or 1:4 for most stuff.
            1986 4Runner 4wd
            almost 200k miles
            the legacy lives on

Comment

Going to the Simple Green website, they have a pdf file with the recommended dilutions for specific task. The document is found here:
              Simple Green | US | Household | ErrorLearn about Simple Green's full line of environmentally safer household cleaning products. Discounts, cleaning tips, reviews, special offers and more.

For autos (interior/exterior), they recommend 30:1. They do note, not to use on the instrument panel.

I for one have used SG for a general purpose degreaser. I haven't seen any dulling. I do strictly use in on the exterior - engine, wheel wells, wheel alloy rims, underbody, (painted) splash guards, etc.. I have not dared to use it on the interior.

Comment

Also from the Simple Green website, I found the below tips. It is the Simple Green Pro Series. The tips are found here:

AUTO DETAILING
                Exterior Car Washing: Use Simple Green Car Wash, following application instructions on label. Additionally, original Simple Green has been used to wash automobiles (motorcycles, RVs, ATVs, etc.) for more than 30 years. A 1:32 dilution is just right (4 oz. Simple Green to 1 gallon water.)
                Best results come from washing when auto surface is cool, doing the job in the shade or on overcast days. Work in sections, cleaning and then rinsing.
                Car Wax Removal: Mix a 1:5 solution of Simple Green and hot water. Let the solution remain on the surface for 5-10 minutes, but not dry. If there are multiple coats of wax – especially differing varieties of wax from coat to coat, several applications of this hot solution may be necessary.
                Painted Engine Parts and Chromed Parts: Simple Green solutions are able to remove oxidized paint (which is a good thing) and/or poorly applied paint jobs, (which is a bad thing.) Be particularly careful of “chromed” parts that are poorly painted, not plated.
                Engine Washing: Cover distributor cap and plugs with aluminum foil to protect. Spray down the cool engine with a 1:1 dilution of Simple Green & water. Let solution sit for about 5 to 10 minutes and then rinse with cool water. Some cracks and crevices, or extremely dirty engines might require some light scrubbing with a non-metallic bristle brush before rinsing. If you clean a metal surface, particularly aluminum, and it is not repainted right away, be sure to apply a light machine oil to protect from oxidation and displace moisture.
                Plastic Instrument Panels and Convertible Tops: Use Pro Series Simple Green GLASS - it’s safe on all plastics – and on tinted windows, too. We do not recommend for use on instrument panels or plastic windows, such as convertible-top windows. Certain types of plastic can become cloudy upon exposure to regular Simple Green and this condition may not be reversible.
                Runoff: Cleaning on the street, in the driveway or garage: Even though Simple Green is non-toxic and biodegradable, it is still a violation of the Federal Clean Air & Water Act to allow the runoff to enter a storm drain or open body of water (lakes, streams, rivers, oceans, etc.) However, because it is non-toxic and biodegradable, you can clean vehicles over dirt, gravel, or grassy areas and then just water it in when done. Simple Green will biodegrade in the soil and will break down petroleum so that the natural bacteria in the ground can consume it.

ENGINES
                Exterior cleaning
                Make sure the engine is cool. Cover and protect distributor, spark plugs & wires, and other sensitive areas with plastic and aluminum foil. Wet down engine with plain water. In a spray bottle or pump-up sprayer, mix a 50/50 dilution of Simple Green and water. Apply this solution all over the engine except for protected areas. Allow the Simple Green mixture to sit for about 5 minutes – but not to dry. If there are areas of baked-on, thick, or viscous soils, scrub those areas with a soft-bristle brush. Rinse off the engine with plain water. Make sure that the rinse fluid does not enter storm drains or open bodies of water. Rinse fluid should only enter sanitary sewer drains or flush onto gravel, dirt, or grass areas to then be watered-in with plain water.
                Fuel lines and engine parts – You can use Simple Green to clean your engine fuel lines only if you first disassemble the engine. A 1-part-Simple Green to 10-parts-water solution should be strong enough to clean out fuel lines. After flushing with the Simple Green solution, rinse/flush thoroughly with water and then do an alcohol rinse/flush to assure complete drying prior to reassembly. Cleaning parts should be a fairly quick process with Simple Green. Wet parts with water first, and then spray on a 1:1 solution of Simple Green & water. Scrub really heavily soiled areas with a soft-bristle brush and then rinse thoroughly with water. Repeat application may be necessary for extremely dirty or baked-on areas. Some automotive varnishes that build up on parts are impervious to Simple Green and will require a solvent-based degreaser.

Comment

I forgot to add, i use it on interiors all the time.

Comment

Thanks for the info Sergei. I will contine to use APC.
                    Watch your pennies and your dollars will take care of themself.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');