• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would this work...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this work...

Greetings,

I had previously posted a pic of my dad's car which has clear coat failure on the hood. Here is the pic I had posted:

I have been told that this cannot be wetsanded since the cracks are deep into the paint. What I was wondering is can I apply some touch up paint into the cracks to improve the appearance? I would think that it would look much better than to see the white lines since it will at least be black.

Your opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    '96 Honda Prelude

www.vbautodetailing.com

As a first step, since painting can be difficult and if done poorly make things worse, is to buy some ScratchX, pick a scratch or two, and see if applying ScratchX can "un-whiten" the scratch to make it less noticeable. I had a couple of deep scratches on my car, and while they're still there, after properly applying ScratchX, they are much less noticeable, to the point where I even sometimes have trouble finding them. You're not going to remove deep scratches, but hiding them is almost as good. And may end up looking a lot better than applying touch-up paint.

Do some searches on this forum as to proper ScratchX technique. My 10-cent summary is to apply a little product, work it like hel* into the area, remove, see how it looks, and repeat a number of times (3-4-5-6).

As for touch-up paint, I have heard about a product called Langka that is supposed to be good for clear-coated cars. Have no experience with it, but it may be worth googling.

Comment

I have already tried ScratchX and it didn't help at all. I would not expect for it to do much since these are cracks in the paint and not just simple scratches. My goal is to basically improve the appearance while avoiding a repaint.
      '96 Honda Prelude

www.vbautodetailing.com

Comment

If they are just hairline cracks, I am not sure what you would get the touch-up paint into. Might end up with more lumps on the paint than anything else.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');