• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plastic Bumpers/Fender Skirts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic Bumpers/Fender Skirts

Got my Toyota FJ Cruiser yesterday. A lot of plastic skirts and fenders. What do you guys use to keep them sharp. I am assuming it will be Meg's APC? I know this has been discussed before, but I didn't focus because my car didn't have all that vinyl. Maybe you can just point me to tht thread rather than restate.

I like it more than I thought I would, but lots of vertical surfaces, and the bugs don't slide off when they hit. They stick.

I edited this to delete any reference to brsuhed aluminum, because obviously there is none--just painted plastic.

I bought something called"303" because it said it had 100% UV protection. Anybody know about this product?
    Last edited by Monk; Jul 1, 2006, 10:44 AM.

For the gray type plastic bumpers and fenders (Ex. Honda Element), personally, I really like the Exterior Trim Detailer.

It makes it glossy but it tends to have a slight static problem.

I think it works best when sprayed then wiped on little or no textured plastic sufaces. You could always just spray on heavy textured plastic and let it settle.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenchu2525
      For the gray type plastic bumpers and fenders (Ex. Honda Element), personally, I really like the Exterior Trim Detailer.

It makes it glossy but it tends to have a slight static problem.

I think it works best when sprayed then wiped on little or no textured plastic sufaces. You could always just spray on heavy textured plastic and let it settle.
      That's what I've been using on my plastic trim on my Grand Cherokee and it works great! I ordered some Hyper Dressing and am waiting for it to get here so I can try that. No one locally sells the trim detailer anymore so I can't buy it off the shelf.

Mike
      Extreme Clean Auto Detailing
      ...taking auto detailing to the Extreme!

Comment

Are we talking painted plastic bumpers, or that kind of gray/black plastic stuff?

For the gray/black plastic, you can just wash it as usual, and yes, diluted APC will be fine to wipe over it if you need a deeper cleaning.

I would vote for All-Season Dressing to protect it and make it look great. But of course there are many dressing products.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525
          Are we talking painted plastic bumpers, or that kind of gray/black plastic stuff?

For the gray/black plastic, you can just wash it as usual, and yes, diluted APC will be fine to wipe over it if you need a deeper cleaning.

I would vote for All-Season Dressing to protect it and make it look great. But of course there are many dressing products.
          Its like the fenders they have on the Element. Has texture. I used something called "303" because it said it has 100% UV protection. Probably does, for a day or something

Comment

You're right

303 is the real deal on fabric and interior surfaces, but is has next to no longevity on exterior surfaces. I'm also looking for some tips on the best dressing for exerior textured plastic and as well as wheelwells, there are several in the detailer line but it is not easy for me to narrow them down.

Comment

Re: You're right

Originally posted by 93ZF6
              303 is the real deal on fabric and interior surfaces, but is has next to no longevity on exterior surfaces. I'm also looking for some tips on the best dressing for exerior textured plastic and as well as wheelwells, there are several in the detailer line but it is not easy for me to narrow them down.
              If you find something good, PM me, because I might not see the thread.

Comment

My vote is for All-Season Dressing on the exterior/wheelweels, and Nxt Tech Protectant inside.

Hyper-Dressing doesnt last quite as long in the weather, but the gallon jug will last longer since it can be diluted. Hyper-Dressing can also be diluted for your interior plastic/vinyl surfaces.
                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');