• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this safe?

On another forum that I frequent, people were complaining about water spotting and stating what they did to get the spots out.

One person claimed "LIME-AWAY" did the job.

Another claimed that they "used a clay bar with distilled vinegar and received great results."

Is this actually safe for the car/paint??

Lime Away will certainly remove water spots but it’s a seriously strong acid and says very specifically on the label; “Do not use on natural marble, stone, terrazzo, polished or anodized aluminum, metallic or painted surfaces.” Geez, It will etch rocks, that’s not something I want on my car.

Vinegar is a very weak acid and will also remove water spots. It’s a food product so it how nasty can it be? I’m no chemist but since I can eat the stuff I’m willing to use it on cars. The bottle of Heinz distilled white vinegar I keep in the garage for water spot duty (I’m guessing balsamic vinegar wouldn’t be a good idea) says on the label you can use it for cleaning varnished wood floors (next to the recipe for green tomato relish). If it’s safe for varnish I think it’s safe for car paint. I’d still keep it away from bare polished aluminum though.

I don’t know if Vinegar’s slippery enough for claying safely but I haven’t tried it.

PC.

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the great info PC!

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');