• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Motorcycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Motorcycle

Hi,

First post. I am familiar with forums, use some meguiar's products on my car, and just got a new Honda VTX 1300.

It now has about 2500 miles on it and is due for it's first good cleaning.

What should I use-

On chrome:
    Plastic:
    Metal Parts:

I assume I can use Meguiar's on my bike just like my car but I am looking for product recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I am pretty sure the wheels are anodized aluminum and do not have clearcoat on them. About 99% sure of that.

Last edited by Tck13; Jul 1, 2006, 02:44 PM.

Hi there. Welcome to the board. Nice looking VTX.

When cleaning motorcycles I'm from the school of thought to not use excess amounts of water. If the bike is maintained then soap and water cleaning should not be needed.

I used Meguiar's detail line of products with great results

Painted surfaces: Honda cleaner/polish or quick detail spray and Deep crystal step 3 wax.

Chrome: Glass cleaner and a coat of wax (Deep crystal step 3 wax) for chrome that doesn't get hot. My bike had very little chrome so I'm not sure about the hi temp pieces. My dad likes to use metal polish every time he cleans his Road king. I used the glass cleaner since there wasn't any water spots or corrosion to remove. He liked the results and time savings. The wax was the icing on the cake.

Rims and frame: All purpose cleaner for chain sling (if applicable) and brake dust removal

Plastic: I would use the APC and no dressing for areas that slips or sliding would occur (seats, foot pegs...). I'm sure you know to avoid dressing on the tires and treads too. Lens covers QD or Honda polish.

Great looking bike. Be safe and enjoy. Hope this was helpful.
    Last edited by scrub; Jul 1, 2006, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Hey scrub...what about gold class leather conditioner for seats and saddles bags?

TJ

Comment

Saddle bags no problem. The seat, if its leather... well I've used the GC leather cond in interiors and don't recall it leaving a very slick residue behind. I would be cautious and buff off the excess product. I still would err on the side of caution and not use GC during the riding season. For winterizing no problem.

How do you feel about GC on seats? Most seats are a vinyl aren't they? I'm not too sure.

Comment

lolz...not in the riding season....hmmm, my seat would never get cleaned as I use it at least twice a week normaly as much as I can do between work and sleep.

Might try it on my pillion seat and see how it effects it. My seats on my cruiser are tooled leather...so far I have been useing the prarade gloss boot polish with a 100% water resistance leather spray over the top. But I would rather use something that will clean and condition it. As the interior of cars get really hot in summer and the sunlight thro the front and side windows on car seats I was hopeing that it would be ok on motorcycle seats.

Can you use the Quick Detail to wipe over the seats if they are vinyl?

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');