• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does NXT have fillers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does NXT have fillers?

I heard they did. What is the meaning of fillers?
    MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Yes. Fillers mean that the product fills in tiny swirls, so it looks like they go away. Of course whe nthe wax wears off, they are still there.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Almost all polishes and waxes (have polish) have some fillers of some kind that make stuff appear to go away.

To really make problems turely go away, you need to remove the contamination by washing, by clay, by paint cleaner, and by dimminishing abrasives.

Essentially, to make a problem permanently go away, you have to remove the offensive looking material.

What you can't remove, cover up. Nothing wrong with that.

Comment

Re: Does NXT have fillers?

Originally posted by kellyinkc
        I heard they did. What is the meaning of fillers?

Where did you hear this at?

The reason I ask is because I'm wondering if the expert that told you NXT Tech Wax contains fillers also mentioned that ANY wax, or paint sealant, or product with the name Polish on it when the product is designed to seal and protect the paint, if it's actually doing the job, then it's filling because by definition if a product is leaving a coating, or a layer of something, (wax or polymer or fill in the blank), then it's filling

How can a paint protection product not fill if it's leaving itself behind?

If it's not leaving any component of itself behind on the surface then you should probably stop using it because it's not working.

So where did you read the intelligent remark about fillers?
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525

Yes.

While we appreciate it when our forum members answer questions based upon their knowledge or experience, that doesn't always make it official. I'm confident that Murr1525's intentions were technically correct when he answered the poster's question with a Yes, but the way the question was asked, it positioned his answer as stating that NXT Tech Wax contains fillers that could, or could not be ingredients other than protection ingredients depending upon the definition of the word filler, or the word fillers.

Therefore I was compelled to step in and get everyone on the same page as bad information tends to travel onto other forums and become fact when in fact it's not.

NXT Tech Wax is just that, it's a wax or more technically it's a paint protection product. NXT is made from all synthetic, or man-made ingredients, it's not a wax in the general definition of a wax if you accept that the word wax means a product that contains a Carnauba or other natural waxy type substance, but we use the word wax on the label because it quickly and easily identifies what the product is to the greatest majority of people that might get confused if you used a different term. NXT Tech Wax is a paint protectant, it is a product that protects the paint as well as makes it look great. It's also a wax in the general use of the word wax as it means a product you apply to protect paint.

As I mentioned in my last reply to this thread, by definition, any wax, or paint protection product, ( regardless of the name the manufacture uses to describe the product), if it in fact is worth its weight in beans then it's filling regardless of whether or not it contains fillers because any quality paint protection product is going to leave a film or layer of some type of protection ingredient behind on the surface and if it does this then it's filling.

Does that make sense?

How can you have a wax that leaves something behind on the surface but not fill or layer-over?
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks Mike, I never mind clarification.

Perhaps one question is worthwhile...

Any polish or wax is basicaly a filler, in that it fills in things, does this mean they will hide things as well as NXT?

I had always thought NXT had some certain ingrediants that actualy made it hide minor swirls better than just a regular wax covering a swirl would?
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525
              Thanks Mike, I never mind clarification.

Perhaps one question is worthwhile...

Any polish or wax is basically a filler, in that it fills in things, does this mean they will hide things as well as NXT?
              This all depends on how you define all the words polish and filler.

A lot of companies make products called polish and the product is a simple rubbing or polishing compound. That is, it's something with an abrasive in it and the type of abrasive and whether it breaks down and even to the degree it breaks down varies from manufacture to manufacture. Whether these products fill or not also varies depending upon the carrying agent they use.

As you know Meguiar's has been around longer than most if not all the current polish and wax companies on the market and we've been manufacturing what we call pure polishes for use on automotive finishes for over 80 years and pure polishes for wood finishes for over 100 years, so our definitions are different than other companies and historically established as far as we and our customers are concerned.

To the point of your questions, how well an ingredient fills, be it one of our pure polishes or one of our paint protection products varies depending upon the chemical make-up of the ingredient/formula and I don't know categorically which product does this the best on all paint systems but NXT Tech Wax does do a very good job of eliminating very fine swirls.

As pointed out in this thread already, the best way to remove swirls is to physically remove them from the paint by leveling the paint itself and after doing this to the best of your ability then you use your choice of pure polish or wax to take your results to an even higher level.

I had always thought NXT had some certain ingredients that actually made it hide minor swirls better than just a regular wax covering a swirl would?
              R&D doesn't as a practice share what the ingredients are in our different formulas and even if they did I'm not allowed to share that information in the public just like now other wax or polish company shares this kind of information.

That said, NXT Tech Wax is a great wax when it comes to protecting the paint with ingredients that resist attack and make the paint look great whether it's by adding gloss or eliminating fine swirls.
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

As a small aside to this topic, I wonder why there is such a negative connotation to the word "filler"? I don't mean to say that was the intent here, but it just seems to me that the word "filler" is generally thought of as being associated with a cheaper, less worthwhile type of product.

Is there any historical background that could shed some light on this for me? Thanks, and hopefully my question was clear.

Comment

Originally posted by matt colvin

Is there any historical background that could shed some light on this for me? Thanks, and hopefully my question was clear.
                  Here read through this,

In a nutshell, the entire filler topic and the negative light in which it is positioned was started by Zaino users looking for products that supposedly wouldn't interfere with the Z products from bonding to the paint.

I've never seen any proof by anyone that the Z products won't bond to paint polished with our products first and in fact one of the guys who owns the autopia site applied these products after first using MPPC and saw no fall off in performance but I also thinks he said he washes and waxes often so he wasn't likely to let his car go long enough between regular washing and waxing to see a fall off in performance.

Anyway, I think that's the root of the misinformation and negativity relating to any product that isn't for the most part made out of water or some type of evaporative solve mixed with some type of chemical or physical abrasive cleaners.
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Gotcha Mike,

Comment

I read the MSDS. It has kaolin in it. It's a type of china clay. I looked it up. It mentioned it is used as a filler.
                      MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

They can put apple juice in it if it makes my car look good, because that's the goal. The "fillers/no fillers" debate is a red herring, a debate about means rather than ends.

Who was better, Nolan Ryan of Phil Niekro? Nolan Ryan by a long shot you say?

Ryan played 27 years and was 324-282; Niekro played 24 years and was 318-274... with his first four seasons in relief. Sure, Ryan struck out guys by the bucket, but the goal is to win games; Niekro won more games per season, had more complete games, and walked more than a thousand fewer batters over his career, or 40 fewer per season. Niekro had more complete games and pitched more innings. But Ryan had a lower ERA (3.19 to 3.35) and there are those 5714 Ks....

The point isn't that Neikro was better, or that Ryan was better; both were great, but different. They actually had very similar careers, but went about being successful through two entirely different paths. At the end of the day, the game is either won or lost. That's what gets counted. If you threw 65 mph floaters and won, you won one game. If you struck out 17 guys with 100 mph fastballs, and won, you won... one game.

Same thing. "They use fillers! We don't have any fillers!" Bah. Who cares if there are fillers or not. It's like saying because you struck out 17 guys your win counts more; it doesn't. At the end of the day, the car either shines or it doesn't. Everything else is mere posturing.

Tom
                        As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

" We don't have any fillers"
                          And also 0% fat and NO! Cholesterol!!!! LOL
                          Mandarina Racing

Comment

"Great taste!....Less Filling" IMVHO
                            Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

Originally posted by kellyinkc
                              I read the MSDS. It has kaolin in it. It's a type of china clay. I looked it up. It mentioned it is used as a filler.
                              I'll send the link to this thread with your questions to Mike Pennington, our Director of Training and ask him to chime in on this thread...
                              Mike Phillips
                              760-515-0444
                              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');