• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ultra fine swirls after scratch x and dc1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ultra fine swirls after scratch x and dc1

my brand new black lexus has some paint scratches from the factory.. one here one there..

so i used scratch x and today i tried deep crystal 1 cleaner with hi tech foam applicator and microfiber towels

the scratches are gone but under sunlight i can see these ultra fine swirls in the shape of circles ...

the difference is clear .. between the sections that i didnt use anything and the sections where scratch x went on.. but those swirls can not be seen in the garage

i thought scratch x was suppose to remove swirls.. not give me more!!

they're super fine and i think if weren't for the black paint.. it can't even be seen..

is there a product that i can use that will leave NO swirls no matter how small

Re-apply using less pressure, more care and passion. Be gentle to your clear coat finish for your cover passes as clear coat paints are scratch-sensitive.

After you use a paint cleaner by the way... your supposed to apply a product that will protect the paint. ScratchX is a paint cleaner, not a paint protectant.

Any fine residual scratches will be eliminated when you apply a quality coat of wax.

Often times to get a perfect finish you must use a machine.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: ultra fine swirls after scratch x and dc1

Originally posted by silversx
      i tried deep crystal 1 cleaner with hi tech foam applicator and microfiber towels
      Just a thought.......Did you use the Megs microfibers? I bought some el-cheapo microfibers once. They left ultrafine marring that I could only see under direct sunlight.
      Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

Another thought is perhpas the dealership used a type of glaze that filled in and made the swirls less visible. When you used the scratchX, the abbrasives in the scratchX would have removed the glaze (if this is the case) making the paint scratches visible.

One way to test is to apply scratchX in up and down only strokes. If you have marring or marks that are parallel in nature, then you know that it is being cause by the application of ScratchX (or misapplication). If there is still marring that it is still circular in nature, then you can be assured that this was caused, and hidden by the dealership.
        Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

Re: Re: ultra fine swirls after scratch x and dc1

Originally posted by SVT Lightning
          Just a thought.......Did you use the Megs microfibers? I bought some el-cheapo microfibers once. They left ultrafine marring that I could only see under direct sunlight.
          well.. it was 3 towels for 10 dollars..

i'm not sure if it is the microfiber.. because i used it with meg's quick detail spray after i dried the car today.. and there are no marring

i just applied 2 coats of meg's gold class paste wax with hi tech applicator.. using the microfiber towel i buffed it up..

except i decided to do the whole trunk.. even the part that i didn't put scratch x on.. and now the whole trunk has that ultra fine marring on it..

@#$%#$^!#$

Comment

OK to start with the micro scratches are not because of the MEG products. Far too many of us have had good results so it is something else. I will put my money on those cheap towels.
            You need to buy a PC and good quality pads. Nothing looks better than black and nothing harder to detail properly than black
            You should spend some time reading and searching this site everything you need to know is here.
            I would use #80 and a polishing pad on the pc and buff all the scratches out then apply # 7 then top that with either a wax or sealant using a good applicator and then gently remove with a QUALITY micro fiber towel .
            The problem is with what you are using and how you are using it.
            We have all went thought this trust me you will never make black look good using wal-mart towels
            Black Bart

Comment

Yep, change your cloths.

I messed up with ScratchX on the hood of black Hemi. I was using a cotton covered foam applicator and applied a lot of pressure. A huge mistake. I had more than micromarring. It took three applications of #80 using a pc and W8006 pad.

Our clearcoat paint looks great, but it is darn soft and susceptible to scratches and marring.

Tom

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');